• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

xwhaler

I look fwd to skiing Burke in March. Had hoped to go to Trout River for a late lunch on the way home Sunday but realized in checking their site they are only open Friday and Sat night for dinner.

VTKilarney

would you really choose where to do the majority of your skiing based on a returned phone call? I get your logic, but BW could give me free tickets and i would still be bored there in an afternoon, no thanks.

My wife and children are upper-level-beginners, so the truth is that BW is a better fit for the next year or so as far as terrain is concerned. Having said that, I am 75% sure that I will buy passes at Burke if for no other reason that its close proximity. I am 15 minutes from Burke and 45 from BW. And don't get me started on what a speed trap the entire town of Bethlehem is...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My wife and children are upper-level-beginners, so the truth is that BW is a better fit for the next year or so as far as terrain is concerned.

The point of serving upper level beginners/lower intermediates was brought up at Burke's "Envisioning Session" last Spring. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...ble-discussion?p=774881&viewfull=1#post774881 There is a pretty big leap going from the green terrain of the lower mountain to the difficult Blue terrain of the upper mountain. Who knows if a trailpod like this created off of a shortened Willoughby chair will ever happen, but it would be a really good addition to helping progress the skills of Burke skiers.
IntermediatePod_zpsb48ea568.jpg

VTKilarney

That is exactly the type of thing I would love to see for my family as they progress. I've taken them both up to the top, but it's more about getting down than building confidence at this stage. A shorter Willoughby chair would be fantastic. It can't be that hard to make a mid-chair exit if they wanted to. They could even require that you get off at the midway point so they would not have to staff the top of the chair.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The point of serving upper level beginners/lower intermediates was brought up at Burke's "Envisioning Session" last Spring. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...ble-discussion?p=774881&viewfull=1#post774881 There is a pretty big leap going from the green terrain of the lower mountain to the difficult Blue terrain of the upper mountain. Who knows if a trailpod like this created off of a shortened Willoughby chair will ever happen, but it would be a really good addition to helping progress the skills of Burke skiers.
IntermediatePod_zpsb48ea568.jpg

That would be nice. IIRC I saw that the Willoughby ran last week for a day or two. Must seem strange to have that lift sit idle.

VTKilarney

Ideally, they could extend the Sherburne Express to that part of the mountain with a mid-point unloading area at the chair's present terminus. That would take advantage of the high speed quad since people aren't going to be as attracted to the slower Willoughby chair. It will also keep the Willoughby chair as a backup for the Mid-Burke Express quad to the summit.

One other benefit is that it would be easier to get to the Mid-Burke Express quad from the Sherburne chair. Right now you have to pole it to get to to the Mid-Burke chair.

VTKilarney

I just realized the flaw with my plan to extend the Sherburne chair. It's not that realistic to put a mid-point unloading area in a detachable quad, is it?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Ideally, they could extend the Sherburne Express to that part of the mountain with a mid-point unloading area at the chair's present terminus. That would take advantage of the high speed quad since people aren't going to be as attracted to the slower Willoughby chair. It will also keep the Willoughby chair as a backup for the Mid-Burke Express quad to the summit.

Mid-unloading HSQ are rare and expensive.

The ride up the shortened Willoughby would be less than 6 minutes. That is pretty short.

That configuration would make it impossible to run laps on Lower Warrens, Lower Fox's Folly, and The Gap (i.e. half of the terrain in the pod) without having to take the slow road (aka High Meadows Pass) all the way back to the base lodge.

And although it sounds good on paper, “keeping the Willoughby as a backup for the Mid-Burke Express” has likely proven to be kind of an expensive luxury that I think has only been used twice(?) in three years. The Poma can serve the roll in a pinch for people trying to get to higher parts of the mtn and the rest would have to ski the short Willoughby until the MBE is fixed.

One other benefit is that it would be easier to get to the Mid-Burke Express quad from the Sherburne chair. Right now you have to pole it to get to the Mid-Burke chair.

Most people coming off the Sherburne are likely looking for Intermediate terrain (as long as they aren’t experts that were forced to buy their tickets at the base lodge :) ). I think most would just hop right onto the W.Q., instead of making that flat traverse. A few laps there and then they can ski down Lower Warrens or cut over to McCarg’s/Open Slope to get to the MBE.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just realized the flaw with my plan to extend the Sherburne chair. It's not that realistic to put a mid-point unloading area in a detachable quad, is it?

It's doable. Expensive, but doable. Alta has an angle station on Collins. Canyons has a mid-unload on the bubble.

It would not work that great though if you want folks to ski that particular "pod" because with a mid-unload folks would still have to ski to the bottom to do laps. Whereas with the Willoughby truncated to that point folks could, theoretically, ski just that pod.

VTKilarney

It would not work that great though if you want folks to ski that particular "pod" because with a mid-unload folks would still have to ski to the bottom to do laps. Whereas with the Willoughby truncated to that point folks could, theoretically, ski just that pod.
That's a very good point.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It's doable. Expensive, but doable. Alta has an angle station on Collins. Canyons has a mid-unload on the bubble.

Stop plagiarizing me :slap: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member

It could be done, but it would be expensive. I've never seen a two stage hsq, but there are two stage gondolas out there. A second lift probably makes more sense though.

jimmywilson69

It could be done, but it would be expensive. I've never seen a two stage hsq, but there are two stage gondolas out there.

Breckenridge has a 2 stage HSG; the Peak 8 super connect. The mid station also has angle, so I'm pretty sure it's a 2 stage like the Skyeship at Killington

VTKilarney

Yes it is two stage. However, no matter what way you try to angle it, a two stage chair makes no sense in this location at Burke.
Agreed. I forgot that this would not allow you to load at the base of the pod. It definitely does not make sense for that reason alone.

I still like the idea of adding a mid-point unloading area to the Willoughby chair and only allowing skiers to go that far. This keeps Willoughby as a backup to the Mid-Burke chair if needed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A mid-unload for the Willoughby would work. Heck, if they were really interested, they could have it be a mid-unload/mid-load and offer the lift as a downloading/uploading option for early season skiing :idea:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Heck, if they were really interested, they could have it be a mid-unload/mid-load and offer the lift as a downloading/uploading option for early season skiing :idea:
Again, something that sounds good on paper but that side of the mountain is usually the first to melt out in the Spring. If they were really determined to create an early/late season upper mtn terrain pod, the lift would need to be on the East Bowl side.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, something that sounds good on paper but that side of the mountain is usually the first to melt out in the Spring. If they were really determined to create an early/late season upper mtn terrain pod, the lift would need to be on the East Bowl side.

I guess so, I was thinking early season in particular.....since the main snowmaking runs are over there.

steamboat1

Very easily done. Notice it's only the upside of the lift that detaches.

Le Masif, Quebec.

massif5.jpg

edit: In this case they use the mid-station for mostly uploading but it could easily be configured for unloading, loading or both.

Last edited: