• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

SkiRaceParent

In terms of the future of the sport, demographically I'm more concerned with the potential opposite of the bolded.

That could be the case. Again, an interesting debate. I'm extremely glad for one that Burke has Kingdom Trails, without it, I don't think I'd feel comfortable investing in Burke.

VTKilarney

One factor with sales prices is whether or not the purchaser has confidence that the mountain will be operating into the future. Nobody can deny that this puts downward pressure on the Burke market. An investor willing to take on that risk may wind up doing well, but the risk alone will scare some people away.

The real test at Burke is what units would sell for if BMA was not around. I know some people who have purchased because they feel that BMA will keep the mountain open even if other owners fail. I can't say that this is a bad theory.

But just look at condo values at Ascutney or Tenney if you don't think that there is risk with a mountain such as Burke. Management is trying hard to make Burke profitable, but they are not firing on all cylinders and even if they were they still have a ways to go. Let's hope they get there for everyone's sake. But let's also be realistic about the risk that the lack of profitability presents.

thetrailboss

Staff member
One factor with sales prices is whether or not the purchaser has confidence that the mountain will be operating into the future. Nobody can deny that this puts downward pressure on the Burke market. An investor willing to take on that risk may wind up doing well, but the risk alone will scare some people away.

The real test at Burke is what units would sell for if BMA was not around. I know some people who have purchased because they feel that BMA will keep the mountain open even if other owners fail. I can't say that this is a bad theory.

But just look at condo values at Ascutney or Tenney if you don't think that there is risk with a mountain such as Burke. Management is trying hard to make Burke profitable, but they are not firing on all cylinders and even if they were they still have a ways to go. Let's hope they get there for everyone's sake. But let's also be realistic about the risk that the lack of profitability presents.

Bottom line: no BMA no Burke. It would have been NELSAP in 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Is that right? WOW. I had no idea BMA was that profitable. :-o Must be a goldmine for that to be the case.
It's not that BMA is profitable, it's that there are SUBSTANTIAL resources behind BMA that are committed to making sure that BMA continues to exist and continues to have a hill to train on. The biggest risk is that BMA is lured away by another mountain, but the stakeholders have an attachment to their current location (thank goodness).

IMHO, the biggest risk if the mountain does not become self-sufficient is that BMA will continue to operate the training hill but not open the resort to the public. I, frankly, wouldn't blame them if they chose to do so - but the thought of that happening is not a pleasant one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is that right? WOW. I had no idea BMA was that profitable. :-o Must be a goldmine for that to be the case.

No, as said it has a few key benefactors. One in particular was the $$$ behind at least one HSQ and Burke2000 back in the day. If you rode the lift with this person you'd never kow that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Masskier

One of the things that amazes me about BMA, is they have a mid week program for 5th,6th and 7th graders. Some from the area but most are from other states throughout the US. These families move to Burke from November through March. These children will either attend local schools or be home school. Their schedules are set up so they are able to train with BMA coaches 5-6 days a week. This is the track that most need to be on if they want to gain admission to BMA.

VTKilarney

One of the things that amazes me about BMA, is they have a mid week program for 5th,6th and 7th graders. Some from the area but most are from other states throughout the US. These families move to Burke from November through March. These children will either attend local schools or be home school. Their schedules are set up so they are able to train with BMA coaches 5-6 days a week. This is the track that most need to be on if they want to gain admission to BMA.
Which brings us full circle. BMA drives demand for on-mountain real estate. We should be VERY thankful for that fact.

On a topic of more immediate interest, it sounds like the very-limited parking at mid-Burke (parking lot below the lodge is gone), in the two lower parking lots, will be augmented by the shuttle service, forcing even late-arriving mid-Burke locker holders to park at the Sherburne Lodge and get shuttled up and back when they are done. On a race day, it will be a zoo.........

Boardguy

Yeah and race days are already a zoo. When the new hotel is finished and midburke gone where do you think they will put the racers? Yurt time maybe? This season as the lift line appears to have been moved to the other side of the lift will the route to the lift from the east side be on the east side of midburke? Trying to picture it I don't think there is room between the midburke stairs and the ski patrol shed. It would be nice though not having to deal with the flat and having to dodge the racers skis strewn about while going around the front of midburke.

VTKilarney

Team Beaverkill is on the hill installing new snow guns. From the photos, it looks like the natural snow is all gone.

VTKilarney

Q Burke posted some photos to their Facebook page.

Here is the training hill as of today (12/1):
Burke 1.jpg

VTKilarney

In a comment on their Facebook page, they mentioned that they are not able to make snow on the upper hill and lower hill at the same time. I had not realized that.

I was hoping for an early opening, but there is still work to be done. Here is the lower hill today (12/1):

Burke 2.jpg

VTKilarney

Yikes. Looks like quite a meltdown.
It was more than I expected. The training hill has some whales on it, so it isn't quite as bad as the photo makes it look. But the lower hill needs a lot of work, and since they have eliminated so much parking at the mid-Burke lodge, I don't see an early opening. I give them credit for keeping everyone informed, though. It may have been smart to keep the whales rather than grooming everything out - at least if their intent was to stick to their originally planned opening date. Although the whales have to be REALLY wet by now.

SkiRaceParent

It was more than I expected. The training hill has some whales on it, so it isn't quite as bad as the photo makes it look. But the lower hill needs a lot of work, and since they have eliminated so much parking at the mid-Burke lodge, I don't see an early opening. I give them credit for keeping everyone informed, though. It may have been smart to keep the whales rather than grooming everything out - at least if their intent was to stick to their originally planned opening date. Although the whales have to be REALLY wet by now.

I agree. According to the long range forecast, 7 of the next 10 days should be good snowmaking weather (temperatures below freezing all day, and some lows in the high teens or low twenties). Here's to hoping they can get their act together and make a good volume of snow to be open top to bottom by the 13th.

Last edited: