• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

BenedictGomez

Nope. NYC kid, joined Army, stationed in South Korea.

I knew he went to school in NYC, but I also knew he's 1st generation, so I always assumed the bizarre manner in which I "read" him speaking in the news was an ESL issue, like maybe he moved here when he was 15 or something and never spoke English in the home. But if he was born/raised in America, his very poor grasp of the language strikes me as quite odd given his situation.

Having lived in NYC, it's not odd to encounter people like that, you do run into people all the time that have lived in America their entire life and can barely speak English, but they also tend to be poorly educated and from the crappiest NYC public schools and have no parenting to boot. Whereas Quiros went to a snooty, elite, private prep school that cost big bucks ($$$$) where he had to receive just a top-notch education, so the poor manner in which he speaks just strikes me as very, very strange. Especially for someone who later, ostensibly achieved some measure of success in the business world, which, frankly I'm now even wondering/questioning that.

Curious now if anyone here has met the man? All the videos I've seen over X years are always of Stenger speaking, so I've never actually heard Quiros.

River19

I knew he went to school in NYC, but I also knew he's 1st generation, so I always assumed the bizarre manner in which I "read" him speaking in the news was an ESL issue, like maybe he moved here when he was 15 or something and never spoke English in the home. But if he was born/raised in America, his very poor grasp of the language strikes me as quite odd given his situation.

Having lived in NYC, it's not odd to encounter people like that, you do run into people all the time that have lived in America their entire life and can barely speak English, but they also tend to be poorly educated and from the crappiest NYC public schools and have no parenting to boot. Whereas Quiros went to a snooty, elite, private prep school that cost big bucks ($$$$) where he had to receive just a top-notch education, so the poor manner in which he speaks just strikes me as very, very strange. Especially for someone who later, ostensibly achieved some measure of success in the business world, which, frankly I'm now even wondering/questioning that.

Curious now if anyone here has met the man? All the videos I've seen over X years are always of Stenger speaking, so I've never actually heard Quiros.

I deal with ESL contractors every day; regardless of what the primary language is, what they say even with ESL challenges is light years more intelligent in structure, content, presentation etc. than Q. I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am, and based on how sloppy this mess really is, there isn't much to suggest I am way off base here.

This isn't a case of the fraud being so genius that you are in awe of the complexity. Madoff had that to a certain extent as it took a highly intelligent math-quant to figure it out. This is a case of no one in an oversight position wanting to really look too deep as they didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

BenedictGomez

I deal with ESL contractors every day; regardless of what the primary language is, what they say even with ESL challenges is light years more intelligent in structure, content, presentation etc. than Q. I could be wrong, but I really don't think I am, and based on how sloppy this mess really is, there isn't much to suggest I am way off base here.

Good point, and I agree. I feel the manner in which he speaks is odd, and almost juvenile & child-like for lack of better terms. Various papers & news websites often have to use (sic) when quoting him.

This isn't a case of the fraud being so genius that you are in awe of the complexity. Madoff had that to a certain extent as it took a highly intelligent math-quant to figure it out. This is a case of no one in an oversight position wanting to really look too deep as they didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Agreed. This fraud should have been caught almost immediately (literally).

The only reason this Ponzi Scheme went on for years is because State of Vermont lied by saying they were continually and strictly reviewing updates on Jay's finances, which gave (almost) everyone a false sense of security that everything was legitimate and lawful, when in fact State of Vermont wasn't even conducting the audit equivalent of a basic entry-level high school accounting course.

I'm thinking Raymond James needs to circle the wagons:

I cant say I disagree with any of the lawsuit's allegations. The only winning defense I can think of is if the son-in-law claims he did not know that the deposited money was in fact, EB-5 investor's money.

River19

Good point, and I agree. I feel the manner in which he speaks is odd, and almost juvenile & child-like for lack of better terms. Various papers & news websites often have to use (sic) when quoting him.

Agreed. This fraud should have been caught almost immediately (literally).

The only reason this Ponzi Scheme went on for years is because State of Vermont lied by saying they were continually and strictly reviewing updates on Jay's finances, which gave (almost) everyone a false sense of security that everything was legitimate and lawful, when in fact State of Vermont wasn't even conducting the audit equivalent of a basic entry-level high school accounting course.

I cant say I disagree with any of the lawsuit's allegations. The only winning defense I can think of is if the son-in-law claims he did not know that the deposited money was in fact, EB-5 investor's money.

Completely agree on all points.

This thing is literally a soap opera as well; I wonder what dirt will come out from the Ex and the Ex of the Ex....

With many "schemes" that are white collar in nature you can appreciate the cunning and complex ruse of the perpetrator etc. In this one, you sit there and go "yeah no shit, you couldn't figure that out?"

The amount of sub companies and large sums of money wired from one company to the next with very little value added along the way to justify millions flying around. I'm still trying to figure out the whole Kelly thing......so the above board explanation of the function NECS played was that it reviewed the invoices and made sure that the invoice was in line with a "schedule". And for that they were able to tack on 20%? Seriously? You look at a piece of paper which may be an invoice for $2.6M and because you are on some conference calls and attend a few meetings you take a monthly fee of $500K?

It isn't like there is an army of folks that work in that company, it's one dude in both NECS and his other shell like company. He refers to them by company name which makes it highly entertaining to read. 'that is a contract between company A and company B'.........but if you are the sole employee of both company A & B......it is kinda funny. I get his explanation around IRS tax purposes etc. but still the whole thing is silly.

It is hard to make $500K/mo as a sole proprietor......that makes most lawyers seem like a bargain.

Shmucks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Completely agree on all points.

This thing is literally a soap opera as well; I wonder what dirt will come out from the Ex and the Ex of the Ex....

With many "schemes" that are white collar in nature you can appreciate the cunning and complex ruse of the perpetrator etc. In this one, you sit there and go "yeah no shit, you couldn't figure that out?"

The amount of sub companies and large sums of money wired from one company to the next with very little value added along the way to justify millions flying around. I'm still trying to figure out the whole Kelly thing......so the above board explanation of the function NECS played was that it reviewed the invoices and made sure that the invoice was in line with a "schedule". And for that they were able to tack on 20%? Seriously? You look at a piece of paper which may be an invoice for $2.6M and because you are on some conference calls and attend a few meetings you take a monthly fee of $500K?

It isn't like there is an army of folks that work in that company, it's one dude in both NECS and his other shell like company. He refers to them by company name which makes it highly entertaining to read. 'that is a contract between company A and company B'.........but if you are the sole employee of both company A & B......it is kinda funny. I get his explanation around IRS tax purposes etc. but still the whole thing is silly.

It is hard to make $500K/mo as a sole proprietor......that makes most lawyers seem like a bargain.

Shmucks.

I wonder how he answered the telephone? "Q Farms, oops, I mean Q Resorts!"

River19

I wonder how he answered the telephone? "Q Farms, oops, I mean Q Resorts!"

"You reached Quiros, sorry I am 'indisposed' at this time. Leave a message and one of my crack mechanics will pull this whole things together for you, whatever it is, I'm not sure, but it is what it is."

burski

"You reached Quiros, sorry I am 'indisposed' at this time. Leave a message and one of my crack mechanics will pull this whole things together for you, whatever it is, I'm not sure, but it is what it is."

This stuff is really just too funny, someone should think of buying the rights to this story and making a comedy out of it. If it were not true it would be unbelievable. And I don't think we have seen the final punch line yet....

BenedictGomez

This stuff is really just too funny, someone should think of buying the rights to this story and making a comedy out of it. If it were not true it would be unbelievable. And I don't think we have seen the final punch line yet....

I've already cast the roles of the officers of the Vermont EB-5 Regional Center, the only regional center with direct supervision by state government, with these guys.

product_detail_3162030205001_3595844905001_826663146172.jpg

halfpintvt

Party in the Bear Den, May 28th from 2 PM to 7 PM. Let's all turn out and have a blast!

attachment.php

Attachments

• burke@burkevermont.org_20160518_095447_001.jpg
    burke@burkevermont.org_20160518_095447_001.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 493

thetrailboss

Staff member
Party in the Bear Den, May 28th from 2 PM to 7 PM. Let's all turn out and have a blast!

attachment.php

Beat me to it! Proceeds go to Kingdom Kids. I can tell you that the management was VERY interested in having this event and want to see everyone there!

LONGBOARDR

steamboat1