• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

oldtimer

If this were ANY OTHER business I might pull the trigger with a note saying "please do not process if you indeed intend to charge $5/each as opposed to $5/order". But given these bumblers that would be a HUGE mistake. Sadly I think they would take the $100 and not give it up w/o a huge fight. I have indeed been in a pass fight with the Ary crew and lost badly.

That is hilarious. Amateur hour continues. :sigh:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Snowmaking stopped at 7:00 pm last night due to water levels. That's too bad. They missed a great window last night and this morning. It's in the teens as I type this.
Someone forgot to pump to refill the pond? The river is kind of low but it shouldn't be that bad. :-?
Whats the use of running more than 25 guns if you can't keep water available for them?

thetrailboss

Staff member
If this were ANY OTHER business I might pull the trigger with a note saying "please do not process if you indeed intend to charge $5/each as opposed to $5/order". But given these bumblers that would be a HUGE mistake. Sadly I think they would take the $100 and not give it up w/o a huge fight. I have indeed been in a pass fight with the Ary crew and lost badly.

The best part is that this great "deal" is guaranteed to fail. Perhaps it was meant to fail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Someone forgot to pump to refill the pond? The river is kind of low but it shouldn't be that bad. :-?
Whats the use of running more than 25 guns if you can't keep water available for them?

Serious question: do they have anyone left who KNOWS how to operate the system?

VTKilarney

Here's another concern. Snowmaking opportunities will be limited at best before opening day. There is no snow on the lower hill and they have yet to complete a top to bottom run on the main hill. There is hardly any parking on the main hill. The only parking lot of any size is at the Sherburne base. So just to connect sufficient parking to the Mid Burke lift they still need to make a lot of snow.

I think it's a real possibility that opening day will be pushed back for a second time. I just don't see how they can get there with only 25 guns available and warm weather coming.

River19

Weather looks to be mid 30s to mid 40s the next 2 weeks with reasonable temps overnight to allow for some snowmaking. That is if they can get water and if they can get more than 25 guns going, btw has anyone confirmed they can only run 25 guns?

Right now that weekend of the 11th that is the big hotel opening weekend.....looks like low 40s with showers for 3 days leading up to that Saturday (including 40s and showers on Saturday)........right now that is a tough hand of cards to play with.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Here's another concern... There is hardly any parking on the main hill. The only parking lot of any size is at the Sherburne base. So just to connect sufficient parking to the Mid Burke lift they still need to make a lot of snow.
I took a drive up around the mid-Burke area on Friday. There is a beautiful new bridge connecting the 3 1/2 tiered parking area between the groomer maintenance building and the Brookside condos. However, at least 1/3rd (probably closer to 1/2) of the potential parking is taken up by construction office trailers and construction equipment/supplies. Granted the supplies will probably be moved somewhere else by the start of the season but are those office trailers going to be moved anywhere? Right now I would be surprised if there was space for <100 cars up there (not including the 10-20 parking areas in the basement of the hotel).

Last edited:

VTKilarney

Didn't they said that there won't be much parking (if any) for day visitors at Mid-Burke. There certainly won't be enough.

thetrailboss

Staff member
FWIW there are now pics up from the night skiing experiment the other night for the Planning Commission. Literally like ten people attended. I am still trying to figure out "who" is going to night ski and ride at Burke.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
FWIW there are now pics up from the night skiing experiment the other night for the Planning Commission. Literally like ten people attended. I am still trying to figure out "who" is going to night ski and ride at Burke.

Would have been more interested to see what it looked like from off the mtn. Those pics look like they are standing under any random parking lot light.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Would have been more interested to see what it looked like from off the mtn. Those pics look like they are standing under any random parking lot light.

+1. Looks like there is a shot of them on Darling Hill, but no photo of the demo. Q ran out of space on his iPhone. Too much techno music.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Keep in mind that lights reflecting off of snow will be much brighter than off of grass.

Didn't they said that there won't be much parking (if any) for day visitors at Mid-Burke. There certainly won't be enough.

I was at Mid-Burke yesterday and there is virtually NO parking there - even the reserved BMA spots were totally blocked with construction "stuff"

zeke

Me too. It didn't work at Stowe and that was on a great 2000+ vert trail.

this is a total assumption on my part–but I bet last year ary was hanging with the asininely named"Team Beaverkill" and they told him it would be a great idea–that way they could go to the park after work. captain beaverqill not knowing any better and in desperate need of any friend he could get pushed the idea forward.

or night skiing is huge in china and they might get another eb-5 investor–either way seems plausible to me