• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

oldtimer

Chicken/egg problem. All seems moot at the moment as they seem to have no interest in actually OPENING the hotel. They have beds, they have food, they have computers. I have seen all of that. No doubt money is the issue, but for Christ sakes why doesn't someone write a check and get this ball rolling. Whether it is paying off the GC or funding some other thing they need to get it going. This is a much large waste than not having snowmaking. They built it on the premise that "build it and they will come". Instead, they are working on the actuality of "build it and let it rot".

They had better pray for snow. If they don't get a decent amount of natural snow between now and President's Day weekend, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

They gambled on building a hotel before improving snowmaking. In hindsight it was a bad gamble.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Chicken/egg problem. All seems moot at the moment as they seem to have no interest in actually OPENING the hotel. They have beds, they have food, they have computers. I have seen all of that. No doubt money is the issue, but for Christ sakes why doesn't someone write a check and get this ball rolling. Whether it is paying off the GC or funding some other thing they need to get it going. This is a much large waste than not having snowmaking. They built it on the premise that "build it and they will come". Instead, they are working on the actuality of "build it and let it rot".

Very true. Just shows that someone has no idea what they are doing and is too proud to admit it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some people use fatbikes in the summer. Never tried one in summer conditions. I'm skeptical.

I'll get to the point: I thought that they were for snow and ice. I'd imagine that if it is warm and muddy out that taking a bike onto the trails will do significant damage to the trails and create a lot of problems.

River19

Some people use fatbikes in the summer. Never tried one in summer conditions. I'm skeptical.

I rode mine about 250 miles in the summer......but I have a number of bikes to play around on as those are our toys.......in the summer....amazing traction in gnarly wet muddy rooty/rocky stuff......childish fun everywhere else.

And these conditions suck for FBs as well.....ice is no bueno. Packed 5-10" is very nice.

VTKilarney

Ten snowmaking guns going last night. Take that Killington!

The plan is to go back and refresh snow on the Dippers and Willoughby. So unless there is meaningful natural snowfall, 15 trails is what you are going to get for President's Day weekend.

VTKilarney

The outfit that did the window treatments for the hotel posted a picture on their website. Judging by these pictures it sure looks like the hotel is ready to open.

Windows.jpg

VTKilarney

The lift count surely will, with the magic carpet from the hotel...

And no doubt the magic carpet will service about four or five trails:
- Upper Hotel Connector
- Lower Hotel Connector
- Hotel Connector Crossover
- Ary's Folly

River19

And no doubt the magic carpet will service about four or five trails:
- Upper Hotel Connector
- Lower Hotel Connector
- Hotel Connector Crossover
- Ary's Folly

I expect a lot of yellow snow on Ary's Folly.....

mister moose

I used to ski Burke once in a while, so i read this thread sometimes. And i got some spiced nuts for Christmas from my niece who lives in Boston. Just got around to breaking into them... Didn't notice the name at first... the name is... well, see for yourself:

o.jpg

Yup, that's right. Q's Nuts. Someone could make some serious cash selling these up there.

VTKilarney

Yet another sign that the hotel is opening this weekend. Joey the Clown.

JOEY THE CLOWN

Sat, Feb. 13, 2016 6:00pm

Gather up the kids and join us for a night of magic, games, dancing, and a family-style dinner buffet in the Governors Ballroom of the Q Burke Hotel & Conference Center.