• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

deadheadskier

Staff member
Suck it up, people. It's northern new england in late january.

+1. Single digits and windy is fine by me when just a couple weeks back we were getting rained on. Kind of a cardinal rule when you are a skier; you're not allowed to bitch about the cold. ;)

BenedictGomez

+1. Single digits and windy is fine by me when just a couple weeks back we were getting rained on. Kind of a cardinal rule when you are a skier; you're not allowed to bitch about the cold. ;)

When the ambient high is -1 and there's 35mph wind foretasted, isn't there some leeway?

VTKilarney

When the ambient high is -1 and there's 35mph wind foretasted, isn't there some leeway?
I've got enough other interests that there is no need to suffer through any single interest. And under those conditions it crosses the line to where I am content to do something else.

VTKilarney

I was hoping to hit Burke today or tomorrow. Since Masskier hasn't chimed in other than a very vague statement, can anyone say if the recent snow stayed on the trails, and where it has stayed the best?

deadheadskier

Staff member

NO!! Bad juju complaining about the cold in the wintertime. That's just tempting Ma nature to throw a thaw our way.

I'm fine skiing in temps below zero. I won't do it in crappy conditions, but if the snow is good I'm going. It's not preferred, but if you have the right gear you can still ski in comfort at those temps.

rueler

I was hoping to hit Burke today or tomorrow. Since Masskier hasn't chimed in other than a very vague statement, can anyone say if the recent snow stayed on the trails, and where it has stayed the best?

I'm sure that it's good all over. I'd bet the east side is good like NEK said (Powderhorn, Lew's, the east side glades, Dipper Doodle, East Bowl). Looked like winds were out of the NW for a time. It'll blow any loose snow over there.

Cannonball

You can have it.

This pretty much sums up the general population's view of the forecast. And it makes sense, skiing cruisers in those conditions can be miserable (and dangerous).

But, no wind in the woods! Windy means powder in the woods. Cold means powder stays fluffy. Cold + windy means no crowds. Sounds like perfect conditions!!

dmw

Is anyone braving said wind and cold at Burke this Saturday?

BenedictGomez

This is the NOAA data @ 3,400 feet for 01/31 in the Sterling/Mansfield area:

Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 1. Wind chill values as low as -36. Windy, with a northwest wind 37 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.

I guess I'm just not man enough.

VTKilarney

I got a couple of runs in today. Conditions were excellent. I'll sneak out tomorrow and pass on the weekend.

Last edited: