• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

Masskier

A lot more was groomed today. all packed powder and powder. still lines to be had in the woods. more snow tonight and tomorrow. NWS is calling for 3-7, This weekend will be cold, but worth it. it's the best conditions in a long time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Q is for the Quiros family that now owns it. You know because that's what you do when you buy a historic ski area. You name it after yourself.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They've been in business for 59 years. That's as long as most major ski resorts in the State. It's a couple of years longer than Killington and Sugarbush. Combine that and the history of Olympic skiers who trained there and I say yes, it's a historic ski area.

If the Quiros started their own ski resort from scratch, I wouldn't have much of an issue with calling it "Q" Mountain Resort. The fact that it's been Burke Mountain for 59 years is a little different though. When Les Otten bought Sunday River, he didn't change the name to "O" Sunday River Resort.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They've been in business for 59 years. That's as long as most major ski resorts in the State. It's a couple of years longer than Killington and Sugarbush. Combine that and the history of Olympic skiers who trained there and I say yes, it's a historic ski area.

If the Quiros started their own ski resort from scratch, I wouldn't have much of an issue with calling it "Q" Mountain Resort. The fact that it's been Burke Mountain for 59 years is a little different though. When Les Otten bought Sunday River, he didn't change the name to "O" Sunday River Resort.

Spot on. Fwiw people have been skiing at Burke since the 1930's.

And Q could have done a Les Otten and named the company after himself but kept the brand name (LBO owned Sunday River)

Considering the changes that they've made and their tact with the locals, it would have been better not to attach their name to the place.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

And Q could have done a Les Otten and named the company after himself but kept the brand name (LBO owned Sunday River)

Considering the changes that they've made and their tact with the locals, it would have been better not to attach their name to the place.

As I pointed out.....probably 47 pages ago.....long thread.......the fact that they didnt change the website I think speaks to the fact that the Q-folk are backing away from the naming decision.

Personally, I dont think it makes a hill-of-beans difference either way whether they go with the Q-name or the non Q-name, but if they were going to go through with it they would have done it soup-to-nuts and the first thing you'd change is the website address. Given they never made it skiqburke.com or qburkemountainresort.com tells me that they're probably going to ditch the Q.

MadMadWorld

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hope I'm wrong and they back away from the Q, but it seems like every time someone opposes Arys ideas it just galvanizes him and he pushes forward harder.