• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice digging on the new T-bar.
The new lift will pretty much be a widening of the Mid-Burke Express lift line cut (aka Re-Run) by 10-50'. My concern is that by doing this, the Mid-Burke Express might be opened up to more wind, especially at the top half of Upper Warrens Way.

Showing a roughly 20 ft wide clearance (my guess at a minimum width):
View attachment 22530

Edit to add that skiing the cross-over between Warrens Way and McHargs is going to be more dangerous. In the current setup you can easy see the uphill Poma riders and pass between them with no problem. However, the new T-bar is going to be on the other side of the trees which means cross traffic may have to stop and look before proceeding.

I worry about the wind as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

That moment when you accept the fact that the Mount Everest of evidence piled against you is so indisputable, that even Johnnie Cochran's ghost couldn't get you off.

machski

I know it is not allowed in ME on new lifts. In addition to potentially being state by state, maybe the crossing is 'grandfathered' in by the old poma being there?
Should not be. This is a totally new install, falls under current ANSI codes. That cross trail should be permanently closed per those codes. Of they wanted the grandfather provision, they would have had to keep the Poma and refurb it if needed.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Permit granted for T-Bar project: https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/Planning/7C0206-17/District Comission Documents/Permit and COS.pdf

And just for BG:

In order to protect Bicknell’s Thrush (BITH) habitat, no clearing or construction may
occur between May 15 and August 1, in the portions of the project located above
elevation 2,500 feet. Permittees shall measure and mitigate the (potential) BITH
habitat as identified in the application. Permittees shall submit a mitigation map to
the Department of Fish and Wildlife (F&W) for review and approval prior to
undertaking any clearing for the project above 2,500 feet, and shall submit a copy
of the final approved map to the District Commission (in the event of disagreement
between F&W and Permittees, the District Commission will decide the issue(s)).
The map shall identify: areas of impacted BITH habitat, areas of BITH habitat
mitigation at a ratio of 2 square feet mitigated:1 square foot impacted, and a
description of how previously disturbed mitigation lands will be restored and
maintained as montane spruce fir habitat. The forested mitigation lands shall
remain undisturbed and naturally vegetated.

BenedictGomez

Bicknell_s_Thrush_equation.gif

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

BenedictGomez

Country Home Products was once considered a “troubled company,” but started growing again in 2012, when then-Gov. Peter Shumlin and U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy announced that the company would receive EB-5 funding.

Unbelievable.

headbashwall.gif

VTKilarney

Company not succeeding is the part of the risk of the inherent risk investing. Has nothing to do with Jay's problem.

Never said that it did. I was just pointing out that the EB-5 itself hasn't created the jobs in Vermont that were promised. Some of us Vermonters actually care about jobs.