• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bummer. Would have been nice to make some turns. It was in the morning.....didn't get on the hill until 1030 though. Once the racers were do e there was a noticeable drop off in traffic. Goes to show just how important BMA is to their business.

From my perspective, to be economically viable the mountain needs to be at minimum twice as busy as it was today on most Saturdays of the season.

River19

Conditions were decent off the mounting as well for decent XC and snowshoe, went out at about 2:30 or so and from our vantage point, the upper slopes were relatively empty......saw a couple skiers. I have noticed that Burke seems to empty out quickly after lunch or early afternoon, is that normal?

VTKilarney

Speaking of maps, I noticed that the stats on the site have been changed to read this:

http://www.skiburke.com/the-mountain/winter/snow-report/

89 unverified? :blink: Where did they go? I've never seen anything like that before.
What does that even mean????

Burke used the lower amount on Facebook a few weeks ago and it caused a lot of confusion. They never explained why the started using that figure. If this is their explanation, I'm not sure that it really explains anything.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What does that even mean????

Burke used the lower amount on Facebook a few weeks ago and it caused a lot of confusion. They never explained why the started using that figure. If this is their explanation, I'm not sure that it really explains anything.

If I had to guess, they are confusing trail acreage with boundary to boundary acreage.

VTKilarney

They say that the hotel is going to have 116 rooms. I wonder if all of those rooms are verified. For that matter, I better check my quater-pound hamburger the next time I buy one in the cafeteria. Some of those ounces may have been unverified.

VTKilarney

By the way, did anyone else notice that the Dos Equis Burkie adds were dropped like a hot potato? I hope that they didn't spend to much on the designer for those ads.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skiing is pretty darn nice now. Not sure the point in ragging on how they market acreage. The average skier would think nothing of it.

I think bringing up snowmaking woes and things like "Q" being disrespectful to the mountain's history are worthy topics for the pass holder meeting, but these little website criticisms? Kind of petty IMO. Nobody cares

VTKilarney

Nobody was criticizing it. We're trying to figure out what it means.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are three posts poking fun at it. It's a little odd, but it just appears you are hell bent on combing through their website looking for oddities and inconsistencies. You just went through a bunch of other stuff with your IT manager post.

Nobody cares about that stuff. They care about quality of skiing, services and a perceived good value.

VTKilarney

There are three posts poking fun at it. It's a little odd, but it just appears you are hell bent on combing through their website looking for oddities and inconsistencies. You just went through a bunch of other stuff with your IT manager post.

Nobody cares about that stuff. They care about quality of skiing, services and a perceived good value.

You're confused. I'm not the one who brought it up. And nobody was critical of anyone. You're trying to make something out of nothing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My bad it was trailboss who discovered the unverified comment. But you were quick to make a joke about unverified hotel rooms. And yes you did just the other day point out a bunch of website stuff.

Just seems like one negative thing after another and right now things are good there. Enjoy it.

VTKilarney

My bad it was trailboss who discovered the unverified comment. But you were quick to make a joke about unverified hotel rooms. And yes you did just the other day point out a bunch of website stuff.

Just seems like one negative thing after another and right now things are good there. Enjoy it.

I'd understand your point if it became an Ary thing or a negative thing. But it never did. People were curious and light hearted about it. It wasn't a big deal and nobody was negative. Quite the opposite. At some point you just gotta let talk be talk.

Moving on, I'm still genuinely curious as to what it means.

Last edited:

River19

I heard all the snow guns were supposed to be pressurized to between 12.5 and 13.5 psi.........11 of the 12 guns tested were below 12.5 psi......

Discuss......

MadMadWorld

I made my first visit to Burke in 25 years today. It is really a great mountain with plenty of unique terrain. I don't get the haters

River19

I made my first visit to Burke in 25 years today. It is really a great mountain with plenty of unique terrain. I don't get the haters

Glad you enjoyed it.

For clarification, I don't know of any haters per se.......quite the opposite. The people most critical of Q seem to love the mountain, have been there for years and are invested financially, emotionally or both. I believe most people, myself included who are critical in this thread have disagreed with several or many decisions by the new ownership group. IMHO, their overall plan could be successful however how they have treated the customer base in the meantime is questionable at best. Let alone how they treated the two best things that make that mountain attractive, KT and BMA......

Time will tell, but we sure do hope there is a positive ending.....