• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

burski

Was up at Burke last weekend and heard that Steve from Jay has stepped down as GM - not much of a surprise considering the Q track record, food and beverage manager also gone. That's not the worst part, rumor has it that the new GM appointed by Q is a former auto parts salesman - not sure how that will translate to the ski business

Smellytele

Was up at Burke last weekend and heard that Steve from Jay has stepped down as GM - not much of a surprise considering the Q track record, food and beverage manager also gone. That's not the worst part, rumor has it that the new GM appointed by Q is a former auto parts salesman - not sure how that will translate to the ski business

Need Massskier to spin this one...

VTKilarney

Need Massskier to spin this one...
I'll do it for you:

(From Masskier)
Hey guys! I had a few hours to get away from my meeting with the Massachusetts Governor and Congressional delegation. Just enough time to drive up to Burke to check on how things were going. After I met with my Realtor to ask her why none of my condos are moving, I checked out the construction site. It was a little difficult because the access road was clogged with foreign investors looking for a place to put their money. Apparently they are already getting a rate of return - even before their money has been deposited. That's how profitable this hotel has become! The good news is that the construction is on schedule. My sources tell me that the next phase will be the spreading of unicorn dust. They had to wait until the concrete settled before doing this. Reservations are going really well. The hotel is now fully booked through 2038. The new General Manager is going to be a great fit. Apparently he sold auto parts in a state that had a ski area - so no doubt he is very familiar with the ski industry. He also tells me that he once stayed in a hotel when he went to Cancun during college spring break, so he knows lots about the hospitality industry. And if that wasn't enough, he sold an auto part to Bernie Madoff, so he will know what it takes to attract investors. Great things are happening here at Burke! I will probably have more details after I meet with the Vermont Illuminati.

Last edited:

Big Wave Dave

VT Kilarney, you need to get a life. based on what i have seen on this website, his statements about the hotel development have been borne out. Your pessimism over the hotel project, has not.

thetrailboss

Staff member

:roll:

VTKilarney

VT Kilarney, you need to get a life. based on what i have seen on this website, his statements about the hotel development have been borne out. Your pessimism over the hotel project, has not.
Apparently your life has no room for humor. I'll keep that in mind. In the event that you took what I had posted seriously, they didn't really spread unicorn dust and Masskier is not meeting with the Illuminati. Perhaps I should have used a "sarcasm" alert.

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

This makes me wonder if Steve's stint as GM at Burke was a temporary position until they could hire a GM specifically for Burke? As we all know, even though Steve is very good at his job, trying to run two resorts at the same time is very demanding. Had this been a long term plan, both resorts would have likely suffered for it as neither would have received the undivided attention of the GM.
Who says "auto parts salesman" is the only thing on the new guy's resume? :popcorn:

VTKilarney

I guess the $64,000 question will be if half a Steve is better than the whole of who they have coming in. I agree that it was not an ideal arrangement. It's nice to see that Burke will have somebody who can devote all of their attention to Burke.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rather than getting into another pissing match over who has hurt whose feelings, I'd rather have a discussion about the future of the mountain considering the REAL issues that are going on with Stenger/Quiro's other projects and funding as well as the fact that they do not appear to have a good manager in place. Burke is a wonderful mountain with awesome skiing and riding that is really unmatched. It's also where I grew up. So I'd rather have that discussion rather than another "pessimist versus optimist" tangent.