• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

I saw that too. The Cal Record had a picture and reported that site work was being done.

I don't think there is a short fall for the Hotel. They have 52+ investors waiting for their I 526 petitions to be approved.
As much as I like the Caledonian Record, the VTDigger articles have proven to be much more reliable. The Caledonian articles have generally been quotes from Stenger absent any independent investigation.

But until someone actually looks at the site, who knows...

Last edited:

River19

Arguably there have been a couple of restaurants and an inn that have opened recently. It's a stretch, however, to say that these only came about because of a half built hotel. I think Kingdom Trails may have had a little something to do with it.

Um, yeah, if that is what he is referring to, then you would also have to go back and talk about the 2 restaurants that closed first ( Willy's and River Garden). And who in their right mind opens an Inn BECAUSE a large hotel is being built. The inn was opened due to KT traffic and wanting/needing another option other than camping.....not because of Q-Development.

But until he clarifies what he is referring to then we won't know. I believe he has mentioned another restaurant planning to open in town.....if so, great, more options. The Publik House replaced a dead establishment (the Pube) so net net, it counts as one restaurant.

Mike's and the truck opened 100% for KT traffic.......

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also saw in the Cal Rec a photo of site work beginning for AnCBio. That said, there are a lot of big "?'s" about that project including, but not limited to, the fact that the main operation is defunct (or all but) and that part of the transaction in Newport involved a questionable land sale/self-dealing with Q Senior taking a huge profit.

VTKilarney

It's possible that Stenger got a crew up there to move some dirt prior to the Caledonian Record article. Who really knows.

VTKilarney

part of the transaction in Newport involved a questionable land sale/self-dealing with Q Senior taking a huge profit.
I recall reading that the state was requiring an independent appraisal for the lot that was sold from Quiros to the AnC Bio LLC. There definitely seemed to be a miraculous upturn in the value of the land when it was sold to AnC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I recall reading that the state was requiring an independent appraisal for the lot that was sold from Quiros to the AnC Bio LLC. There definitely seemed to be a miraculous upturn in the value of the land when it was sold to AnC.

Yep. Exactly. Pretty disturbing to see that.

River19

Just to follow up on the other new restaurant being built out in E. Burke......I believe they were targeting July 15th opening but based on the looks of the place....that would take a miracle. I'm guessing that it will be done late summer. Former Trout brewmaster I believe....and some kinda Italian bistro-ish flavor.

Publick House missed out on a ton of business this weekend.....I guess they are doing pretty well in order to stay closed on busy weekend. Good for them observing the 4th, bad for them leaving so much cash on the table......but hey it is their choice :)

So compared to a couple years ago E.Burke will be down 1 restaurant when the new Bistro thing opens if you count R's seasonal food truck.

Used to have The Pube, Willy's and River Garden.....now it will be the Publick House, Bistro thing, and the food truck......Bailey's swapped to the NEK store so net the same.....

VTKilarney

There is some scuttlebutt on their Facebook page about the fireworks. I guess it rained and lots of people left. Some wanted a refund or a rain date for the fireworks.

I have to side with the mountain on this one. It's up to the attendee to check the weather - especially if they didn't advertise a rain date.

River19

There is some scuttlebutt on their Facebook page about the fireworks. I guess it rained and lots of people left. Some wanted a refund or a rain date for the fireworks.

I have to side with the mountain on this one. It's up to the attendee to check the weather - especially if they didn't advertise a rain date.

In prior years I believe there was a rain date......but they had a band etc. and scheduled a money making event so I'm sure they didn't want to pull the plug on that.

Some friends went up and were soaked....."Text was....fireworks were good but got effing soaked which sucked".....it is what it is...

I drank better beer on my porch with friends and watched the rain......

Masskier

Just to follow up on the other new restaurant being built out in E. Burke......I believe they were targeting July 15th opening but based on the looks of the place....that would take a miracle. I'm guessing that it will be done late summer. Former Trout brewmaster I believe....and some kinda Italian bistro-ish flavor.

Publick House missed out on a ton of business this weekend.....I guess they are doing pretty well in order to stay closed on busy weekend. Good for them observing the 4th, bad for them leaving so much cash on the table......but hey it is their choice :)

So compared to a couple years ago E.Burke will be down 1 restaurant when the new Bistro thing opens if you count R's seasonal food truck.

Used to have The Pube, Willy's and River Garden.....now it will be the Publick House, Bistro thing, and the food truck......Bailey's swapped to the NEK store so net the same.....[/

It's funny how even though the new owners change the name a few years ago, We still call it Bailey's.

Don't forget the Hotel has a new restaurant and also a pub opening this year too.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
In prior years I believe there was a rain date......but they had a band etc. and scheduled a money making event so I'm sure they didn't want to pull the plug on that.

Some friends went up and were soaked....."Text was....fireworks were good but got effing soaked which sucked".....it is what it is...

I drank better beer on my porch with friends and watched the rain......

Burke made it pretty clear the fireworks were "rain or shine". Although if they would have delayed them 10 minutes, it would have been sprinkles rather than a downpour. I couldn't believe they set them off when they did. It wasn't even really dark yet and it was pouring. We ended up watching them from a friend's house in Kirby.

It's funny how even though the new owners change the name a few years ago, We still call it Bailey's.
IMHO, "The Northeast Kingdom Country Store" is too much of a mouthful. The new owners should have come up with something more original that could be shortened to one or two words when people talk about it in conversation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Fourth of July

Looked like a pretty small crowd at the mountain. As to the rain, it is what it is. They said rain or shine.

VTKilarney

Mountain Bike season pass holders for in for free. Why not ski season pass holders?

faQ

Burke made it pretty clear the fireworks were "rain or shine". Although if they would have delayed them 10 minutes, it would have been sprinkles rather than a downpour. I couldn't believe they set them off when they did. It wasn't even really dark yet and it was pouring. We ended up watching them from a friend's house in Kirby.

IMHO, "The Northeast Kingdom Country Store" is too much of a mouthful. The new owners should have come up with something more original that could be shortened to one or two words when people talk about it in conversation.

Funny thing was, FB page said they would go off around 9:30. Then they set them off in the rain at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

River19

Used to have The Pube, Willy's and River Garden.....now it will be the Publick House, Bistro thing, and the food truck......Bailey's swapped to the NEK store so net the same.....[/

Don't forget the Hotel has a new restaurant and also a pub opening this year too.

I will probably always call it "B&B" or "the old B&B"........when I clarify it is "the NEK Store"......lol

Regarding the hotel Pub and Restaurant......we'll see how that whole shindig turns out. With all the various rumors, reports, investigations, allegations etc. it is hard to tell truth from fiction. So I'll sit back, relax, and we'll see if the Hotel gets completed as intended, the snow making gets done and the restaurants get done.

If they all get done as intended, once the stank washes off from Jr and company we might check it out; but then again we would probably support the smaller guys down in town first and foremost.

River19

Re: Fourth of July

Looked like a pretty small crowd at the mountain. As to the rain, it is what it is. They said rain or shine.

And rain it was......it's New England, it rains.....shit happens......but it was a warm rain :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will probably always call it "B&B" or "the old B&B"........when I clarify it is "the NEK Store"......lol

Regarding the hotel Pub and Restaurant......we'll see how that whole shindig turns out. With all the various rumors, reports, investigations, allegations etc. it is hard to tell truth from fiction. So I'll sit back, relax, and we'll see if the Hotel gets completed as intended, the snow making gets done and the restaurants get done.

If they all get done as intended, once the stank washes off from Jr and company we might check it out; but then again we would probably support the smaller guys down in town first and foremost.

The FB page had a "staff" photo on it recently and Jr. was not in it.