• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Things that are Banned in Massachusetts

kickstand

Seriously, in the past 5 years of spending 40+ hours a week all throughout Boston, the 93 corridor, all of the North Shore, down route 3 to Plymouth; I've come in contact with exactly 1 pump, not 1 station, but 1 pump at a particular station where I don't need to sit there and pump my gas. Pump'n Pantry on Route 1 in Peabody. Furthest pump to the right and closest to the store still has the handle lock.

You can add the Shell at the corner of Vernon and Lowell in Wakefield to your list. Pump closest to the building. I hate going there because the guy really fluctuates his prices (pretty much daily), but that's the only pump I'll use. It used to be the full service pump. When they got rid of that, they didn't take out the handle locks.

bvibert

Staff member
Chapstick???? As in the lip balm? I don't use it, but I have figured out how to stuff my wallet in there and the gas tank cap depending on style of pump handle. Perhaps I'll buy a tube of chap stick for such purposes. I've actually had station attendants in Mass come out and yell at me on several occasions for manipulating the pump handle open with my wallet or pump handle. For some reason they think it might blow the station up.

I use the gas cap method to keep the pump going sometimes... it backfired on me once though. I was cleaning my windshield and I heard what sounded like water pouring on the ground. So I went back to the side of the truck where pump was and found gas spraying out from around the connection between the pump and the filler tube. There was what seemed like at least a gallon on the ground by that point.

o3jeff

I use the gas cap method to keep the pump going sometimes... it backfired on me once though. I was cleaning my windshield and I heard what sounded like water pouring on the ground. So I went back to the side of the truck where pump was and found gas spraying out from around the connection between the pump and the filler tube. There was what seemed like at least a gallon on the ground by that point.

What did you do, did they come out with the emergency spill kit?

My Wrangler was terrible, would always shoot gas out of the fill tube before it triggered the pump to shut off....

Bumpsis

The most annoying ban in Mass is at the gas station. The no handle lock ban on the gas pump handles is SO annoying. I think it's stupid the state requires you to stand at the car and hold the pump the whole time you fill up. I prefer to multi-task while at the gas station. Click the pump on and wash my windows or run into the store to grab a coffee while it pumps. I'd rather it be like Jersey where all stations are Full Serve than deal with that annoyance.

but, apparently the nannystate gov't officials in Mass think allowing the normal style of gas pump will result in people blowing up their cars or something.

Yes, I agree that not being able to lock the pump handle in on position so you can do other stuff is really annoying but the possible downside of spilled gas is much greater. In case the shut off trigger doesn't work well, the proscpect of spilling gasoline on the ground is just not very appealing. I'm not even talking about the long shot of having the spilled fuel ignated. What is of greater concern are health risks to customers and the station operators. Gasoline has some really nasty chemicals, carcinogens, etc. The less of a chance of exposure, the better. I much rather be inconvenienced than get this stuff on my shoes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
well, I guess that's why I like living in New Hampshire. Live Free or Die pumping gasoline

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I usually stuff my gas cap into the handle too. One time, I guess they saw me on the camera, they shut off the pump and told me I wasn't allowed to pump gas anymore. I think it was a Citgo.

Hawkshot99

Same in Maine - locks allowed. Still, the best is NJ. Full Service everywhere. Loved it when I lived there.

other than the price I hate getting gas in New Jersey. I have had my credit card information stolen twice both times it happen at a New Jersey gas station. plus they can't seem to understand why don't want to put gas in my motorcycle phone I'm sitting on it

Puck it

other than the price I hate getting gas in New Jersey. I have had my credit card information stolen twice both times it happen at a New Jersey gas station. plus they can't seem to understand why don't want to put gas in my motorcycle phone I'm sitting on it

Scotty talk, I love it!

bvibert

Staff member

Motorcycle phone?
HarleyPhone-550x244.jpg

ScottySkis

The most annoying ban in Mass is at the gas station. The no handle lock ban on the gas pump handles is SO annoying. I think it's stupid the state requires you to stand at the car and hold the pump the whole time you fill up. I prefer to multi-task while at the gas station. Click the pump on and wash my windows or run into the store to grab a coffee while it pumps. I'd rather it be like Jersey where all stations are Full Serve than deal with that annoyance.

but, apparently the nannystate gov't officials in Mass think allowing the normal style of gas pump will result in people blowing up their cars or something.

In NY we still have the latch, but most stations they do not work.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2