• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Old Killington vs. New Killington

skiNEwhere

Look at the difference between 20 years, has Killington really expanded?

Sunrise is shortened, along with Ramhead. I've never been on "Space walk", is this a real double black diamond?

I miss the old Killington with the Gondola that actually went to the top, and the South Ridge Triple!

I would post the pic's directly here but they are too big to store on the website, and I can't hotlink them to their source for some reason, the image won't load, but you can check them out here

http://skimap.org/data/211/260/1284595087.jpg

http://skimap.org/data/211/162/1321056131.jpg

Smellytele

I just remember making the mistake of skiing the Sunrise trail. I did like the other options to get back toward the top of Killington Peak with out having to head back to K-1. It would be nice if they put something back in where the south ridge triple was.

bdfreetuna

Space Walk looks pretty intense. Talk about cutting one down the fall line!

I haven't skiied any parts of Killington but main mountain, Snowdon and Skye peak in years though.. and I go there a fair amount.

Funny how half of all those old black diamonds transformed into double blacks. I mean, the mountain definitely got steeper in the last decade or so, but still.

I remember riding the Killington double chair before K-1. Oddly I never noticed when the Skyeship stopped going to the top. This is the first time I even realized it had changed..

millerm277

Spacewalk was a nearly flat traverse. The only reason it existed was so you could get to the Devil's Fiddle Quad more easily from OL and Wildfire. So that was not a loss.

You did miss the loss of the top 1/3rd of Rams Head, and many trail reconfigurations that have made it much tougher to get around the mountain.

In the gains category: Vertigo and Needle's Eye liftline. Not much compared to the losses.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Wow I just realized it's been so long since I've been to Killington the last time I went those glades on Bear Mountain didn't even exist. When did those get added? I haven't been to Killington in probably nine or ten years.... I think.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think those glades were added to the map 4-5 years ago or so? As I recall, they were not new cuts but existing cuts put on the map.

It is amazing to see how many lifts were changed over to high speed lifts in the past twenty years: K1, Rams Head, Needle's Eye, Skye Peak. The loses (top of Ram's Head, Devil's Fiddle Quad, South Ridge Triple, Northeast Passage Triple to Route 100, Two vs Three Stage Gondola) really don't seem like a big deal from my read on Killington. I'm no regular but I feel the current lift system works for how I skied the mountain (not having skied it when the above lifts were running). That new lodge on the summit will really add something for K, IMO. Summit lodges are awesome. I love being able to grub a bite up high and not get onto a lift after getting lunch. Brrrrrr......

millerm277

I feel the current lift system works for how I skied the mountain (not having skied it when the above lifts were running).

The SRT is a big loss, because it's a relatively unique trail pod that is now nearly unskiable. (800ft vert, followed by a 10min runout, and a minimum of 25min of lifts + a run down Skye Peak to ski it again).

It also means that you've lost the "alternate" routes out of Bear with the other layout changes. So everything depends on the Skye Peak lift, and the line becomes incredibly long on weekends, basically "trapping" people at Bear, which never happened before.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yup summit lodges rock. . . I enjoy the one at Cannon as well when I went this past season for the first time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Yup summit lodges rock. . . I enjoy the one at Cannon as well when I went this past season for the first time.

Scotty's at top of Hunter has some great foods(and no relations to me.)

Smellytele

The top of Cannon is kinda cool now with the couches that they added last year. It was pretty lame before.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I thought I read last year that when they replace the Snowdon lift with a HSQ they will take the old lift over to SRT. If true then its not a long term loss.

4aprice

I thought I read last year that when they replace the Snowdon lift with a HSQ they will take the old lift over to SRT. If true then its not a long term loss.

That would be nice. I hope they would extend it further up toward the peak to access the new lodge and make the transfer from one side to the other easier. I always enjoyed the South Ridge pod. For the most part I like alot of the changes they've made though I would like to see the top of Rams Head lift served again. Also a little OT but I've heard no more Gristmill apres ski.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ALLSKIING

Staff member
That would be nice. I hope they would extend it further up toward the peak to access the new lodge and make the transfer from one side to the other easier. I always enjoyed the South Ridge pod. For the most part I like alot of the changes they've made though I would like to see the top of Rams Head lift served again. Also a little OT but I've heard no more Gristmill apres ski. Alex Lake Hopatcong, NJ
With Rams head being the "family" area now I don't see that ever happening which is to bad...I miss it.

millerm277

For the most part I like alot of the changes they've made though I would like to see the top of Rams Head lift served again.

Theoretically, in the year 2100 when the interconnect gets built, the top of RH will be served again by one of the interconnect lifts. Don't hold your breath...

Also a little OT but I've heard no more Gristmill apres ski.

Reopening under new ownership + new name, from what it appears based on the K-Zone thread.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I lived last summer up at Killington and did a lot of hiking around the mountain in the evenings. It is surprising how much has been lost and how much snowmaking line, lift components, equipment, and other things are just strewn out in the woods. It is really sad. It is almost as if they got too big. ASC really killed it and the current folks are, in addition to fixing everything, cleaning up all the mess that was left behind.

skiur

That would be nice. I hope they would extend it further up toward the peak to access the new lodge and make the transfer from one side to the other easier. I always enjoyed the South Ridge pod. For the most part I like alot of the changes they've made though I would like to see the top of Rams Head lift served again. Also a little OT but I've heard no more Gristmill apres ski.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Gristmill was sold and will be opening back up soon as the foundry at summit lodge. Hopefully the new owners bring it back to the great place it used to be.