• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What skis/snowboards do you hold in your quiver?

Hawkshot99

Last year I had
14' Rossi Soul7
14' Fischer RC4
14' Volkl Kendo

They are all gone... The rossi's I had a warrenty issue and now have a 15' Soul7 which I will put the dukes on. The Fischers are currently for sale, as I have a pair of Non-FIS Atomic GS skis on order. The kendos belonhed to my employer. I get a new pair every other year and am due for some new skis. Those are sold and I believe will be replaced with a 15' pair.

skiNEwhere

Last year I had
14' Rossi Soul7
14' Fischer RC4
14' Volkl Kendo

They are all gone... The rossi's I had a warrenty issue and now have a 15' Soul7 which I will put the dukes on. The Fischers are currently for sale, as I have a pair of Non-FIS Atomic GS skis on order. The kendos belonhed to my employer. I get a new pair every other year and am due for some new skis. Those are sold and I believe will be replaced with a 15' pair.

I have the exact same setup on my soul7's as well. Dukes are a great, hardy, binding. If I had one complaint about them though, it's that the climbing bar could have be designed better and can lower itself from 13 to 7 degrees on its own.

I also have

Salomon Guns (relegated to rock ski's last season)
Ski logik howitzer (hammerhead bindings)
K2 pontoons (jesters)

dlague

How do many of you afford multiple sets of new gear in the same year? That is impressive. I have to spread it out.

'09 Volkl Choptick
'11 Rossi Phantom 87 (now rock skis)
'14 Dynastar Distorter

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

How do many of you afford multiple sets of new gear in the same year? That is impressive. I have to spread it out.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.....

This is the 2nd year in a row I have had 3 new pairs of skis and new boots.

I just went and made a list of the past 10 years for myself. I have gone through 21 pairs of skis and 9 pairs of boots. All brand new except my touring boots had like 3 days on them.

2 Ski Quiver this year:

2015 180 Blizzard Brahma (Daily Driver)
2006 172 Atomic Supercross STI (Rock ski/Carver/Early Season.... 65 at the waist:grin:)

The Brahmas were upgrades over my old Rossignol Pursuit 12's. The Pursuits held well on hardpack and excelled at carving, but struggled in moguls and deep snow. The Brahmas are extremely versatile and have impressed so far.

Last edited:

Cheese

I think I got lucky and didn't pull the trigger on the Experience 88 at the end of last season. Instead I pulled it last month and got the 2015 version with the Air Tip. This is honestly the lightest set of skis I have in the quiver and I'm looking forward to seeing what this "All Mountain" ski can do.

skiNEwhere

Cheese, haven't seen you around here in a while.

I currently have 3.5 skis.

Salomon Guns
Ski Logik Howitzer (tele)
K2 pontoon
And one good Rossi soul 7. Shipping the broken ski to Rossi tomorrow, they may replace it.

Cheese

Cheese, haven't seen you around here in a while.

I currently have 3.5 skis.

And one good Rossi soul 7. Shipping the broken ski to Rossi tomorrow, they may replace it.

skiNEwhere,

I missed a lot of days and a full race season last year due to a bug bite. Lyme disease took out both knees for 18 months. Finally can walk normally without needing fluid aspirated as of November so I'm hopeful that I might be able to enjoy a full ski season even though it'll be on weak knees and chicken legs.

I had a single S7 for a few days in Mammoth after loosing it and it's 6' powder strap in a deep glade. Demo'd the Super 7 then and hated it because it had too much metal and was too stiff for my style. My missing S7 showed up in lost & found at the end of my trip so I didn't get to replace powder boards that season.

New Super 7 doesn't have the metal, boasts the Air Tip and at 116 underfoot is only a millimeter narrower than my tired S7s. Not as fat as your Pontoons but still a contender for maximum fun on steep and deep days.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Was just looking back through my post from early this season and sizing it up:

• Snowboards
    • The Arbor is now a coffee table (though could easily be pulled out and ridden)
    • Khyber didn't see a lot of miles, but got sweet new Karakoram bindings and will be around for awhile.
    • The Inca, after 10(?) years is toast. My favorite board ever. It will carry through the season then RIP.
    • The RIDE has become the 'house board' every visitor rides it. And it is my wife's rock board.
    • The Salomon so no action this year. Don't know if it will ever again.
  • Skis
    • Huge Troubles are still in action. Love 'em. Although I'd sell them and move on if someone is looking for a ski like that.
    • K2 PEs are going strong. Naxo bindings are starting to scare me. Don't know what to do there

Lots of gear going into retirement at the end of this season. Looking to load up over the summer. Planning to get a premium snowboard, and possibly some 'fun' skis (short, wide, rocker).

I love late season for thinking about gear. It's a great time to re-evaluate what you have, find deals on new gear, sell off old stuff, and break out old favorites as rock boards. Huge changes from the last time I updated this list....

Snowboards
  • PowderJet 157. My pride and joy for this season. I hand built it last October at the PowderJet Snowboard / Grain Surfboard shop in Maine. Beautiful minimalist hand-shaped board of local poplar. Wasn't sure if I'd ever have more fun riding it than building it, but this season certainly made it a joy to ride!! (pics below)
  • Never Summer, Cobra 163. Picked it up and the very end of last season to be my daily driver. The thing just screams.
  • Prior Khyber 161 Splitboard. So easy and fun to tour on.
  • A random assortment of old-to-me and new-to-me rock boards and quirky relics.

Skis
  • Fischer Big Stix 100s. Picked these up a couple of weeks ago when I wasn't looking but the deal was just too good. Starting to really love these in a variety of conditions. Just about the perfect ski for me.
  • K2 PEs circa 2007 with BC bindings. Still a go-to ski for touring or rough conditions.
  • Bought and sold Volkl Shiros without ever skiing them, but tidy profit.
  • Dynastar Huge Troubles that were so fun to ski, just sold this week

A few PowderJet pics....

NCM_0472.jpg

NCM_0450.jpg

NCM_0458.jpg

NCM_0715 (1).jpg

mishka

Snowboards
  • PowderJet 157. My pride and joy for this season. I hand built it last October at the PowderJet Snowboard / Grain Surfboard shop in Maine. Beautiful minimalist hand-shaped board of local poplar. Wasn't sure if I'd ever have more fun riding it than building it, but this season certainly made it a joy to ride!! (pics below)
wow

good for you

Cannonball

Thanks Mishka. You'd love this build. Everything you've talked about in the past. Local materials, local build. No additives or preservatives. No p-tex, no carbon. Just wood, steel, and bio-resin.

mishka

aaaa my skis not minimalistic enough for you:grin: now you know what it takes to make a board,,,, skis lol so you was involved in the process of making it? What part did you do? Hope not the bending edges lol

nice-looking board good luck with it..... no p-tex a little too far in my book

Cannonball

aaaa my skis not minimalistic enough for you:grin: now you know what it takes to make a board,,,, skis lol so you was involved in the process of making it? What part did you do? Hope not the bending edges lol

Yup, involved in the whole process. Built every bit including design, layup, bending the edges, shaping, etc. I came up with the design, wood burned it, painted it, finished it. Start to finish.

No p-tex is really not a problem. This is not a racing board, it's a powder board. So no need to worry about slight differences in speed or durability. The epoxy resin bad is very solid. Still wax and tune it the same as any board.

Cannonball

Yup, involved in the whole process. Built every bit including design, layup, bending the edges, shaping, etc. I came up with the design, wood burned it, painted it, finished it. Start to finish.

No p-tex is really not a problem. This is not a racing board, it's a powder board. So no need to worry about slight differences in speed or durability. The epoxy resin base is very solid. Still wax and tune it the same as any board.

Thing rides like a dream.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

I tried some Icelandic pilgrims a couple days ago, those skis could carve like no other.

I may have to add those to my quiver come season end so that I have something to play with on non-pow days

mishka

Yup, involved in the whole process.

iirc we started with you to do same thing last October and at last minute you decide not to make aaammmm skis :stirpot:

everyday skis/board need p-tex as far epoxy I'm using the same kind

Anyway very happy for you

Cannonball

iirc we started with you to do same thing last October and at last minute you decide not to make aaammmm skis :stirpot:

everyday skis/board need p-tex as far epoxy I'm using the same kind

Anyway very happy for you

Yup, well being a snowboarder more than a skier it seemed to make sense :D

One big advantage of snowboard building vs ski building is binding placement. That was something I picked up from you. I know you insist on demo bindings because you're not sure of best placement. With snowboards the inserts allow for a huge and easy range of adjustment. It makes things significantly easier.

mishka

of course it does.... Not everybody meant to be skier :cool:.....somebody have to be snowboarder:lol:

it is what it is. inserts also can be used in skis. Demo binding not about sure or not of best placement it's about greater flexibility in binding position but some bars definitely easier