Bondcliff Bike & Hike (10/05/12) - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The main place it would help would be on the Wilderness Trail and the Livermore Road, and at times when roads are gated. Not many other trails to 4000'ers would benefit from biking although I'm sure there are few more. For the 100 Highest there would be a bunch more logging roads that would be helpful to bike.
    Carrigain, since Sawyer River Rd. is closed and considered part of the hike. Adds two miles each way, albeit a flat road. To be honest I'm not sure why it's closed - it looked pretty stable when I was out there mid-August.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wtcobb View Post
    Carrigain, since Sawyer River Rd. is closed and considered part of the hike.
    It's open again, as of Columbus Day weekend. It was closed to do culvert repair, although they only worked on one or two at a time so at points during the late summer the road looked just fine. Then they'd rip up another one. But as the rules state, you couldn't bike the road when it wasn't legal to drive it and still count it for your list.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    It's open again, as of Columbus Day weekend. It was closed to do culvert repair, although they only worked on one or two at a time so at points during the late summer the road looked just fine. Then they'd rip up another one. But as the rules state, you couldn't bike the road when it wasn't legal to drive it and still count it for your list.
    Makes sense - I had heard it was closed due to damage from Irene but it looked great to me, they did a good job with the cleanup and repair!

Just to be safe, I walked the whole dang thing.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    My buddy and I incorporated bikes into a day hike of Bondcliff: http://nebackcountry.blogspot.com/20...bondcliff.html

It got us wondering what other distant peaks might be made more accessible by mountain bike.
    It would be easy to ride a bike to the start of the Tripyramid loop. I forget the "trail" name, but doing the Tripyramids is basically 3 or 4 miles out on some road, do the loop (which is the fun part), and then hike out on the road again.

You could easily do 10 miles of the Owls Head trip by bike as well.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

The trail into Tripyramid is the Livermore Road, mentioned in post #10. You can only bike 3 miles in from Lincoln Woods towards Owls Head because you are not allowed to ride in the Wilderness Area. It'll only cut 6 miles from your trip.

Thread Information