• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

skiNEwhere

Overrated:
3rd.
Killington - Especially on the weekend, it is way too crowded and it's pretty damn expensive too!
2nd.
I know this will cause a little controversy but.............Stowe. The terrain is good but it's too expensive to ski there! Not worth the price to ski every year, more like every other year
1st. Why do people like Loon so much? I've NEVER understood the facisination with Loon. On the weekends the crowds are the WORST. The terrain qucikly gets icy due to the volume of people, the trails are really crowded so you can't enjoy the groomers, and the terrain is not that challenging! With me, I'm not really having fun unless I'm being challeneged, and that's not happening there. I will be honest though and admit I've not skiied there since the expansion

Underrated
Mad River Glen - Cheap and challenging. Unless there was a lot of snow the day before, but still, it's not widely known by tourists like other resorts such as Killington. Plus since it's more concentrated with locals, people tend to be nicer, and it's a great place to meet other tele skiers.

Last edited:

4aprice

Underrated - Magic Great mountain especially when the snow is good.

Not sure if your NE stands for just New England or the entire Northeast.

My overrated (and I hate this because I don't want to offend or get in any arguments) Whiteface NY. The place has spectacular vertical but the several times that I've been there the conditions were just not so hot. I keep on wanting to get back on that elusive 50 degree spring day that would probably change my whole attitude about the place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

Underrated - Magic Great mountain especially when the snow is good.

Not sure if your NE stands for just New England or the entire Northeast.

My overrated (and I hate this because I don't want to offend or get in any arguments) Whiteface NY. The place has spectacular vertical but the several times that I've been there the conditions were just not so hot. I keep on wanting to get back on that elusive 50 degree spring day that would probably change my whole attitude about the place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I always thought maybe NY state ownership , means less snowmaking that might make conditions worse there.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Big Game

Overrated:killington. All said, maximum real vert is 1500 and it involves traverses and run outs.

Unnderrated: Stratton. It is generally hated by 'purists.' Yes, it's loaded with pomp. But even hidden stuff doenst require much schlepping. It has woods that most Stratton-goers avoid. And there's a variety of woods. The loads of park junk keep the riff raff at bay. The few trails they do let go ungroomed get littile traffic. Again, for all the s-talk about Stratton, it is a great hill to ride.

MRG may be a great hill, but I think everyone knows that so I don't think you can count that as underrated.

Tin

Overrated: Killington, Mt. Snow, Loon, Sunday River, Okemo
Underrated: Berkshire East, Stratton, Pico

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Overrated or Underrated by whom?

Ski Magazine? Alpinezone members? Water cooler talk at work?

I've never really cared all that much about what others think of a particular area. I enjoy skiing just about everywhere. I just adjust my expectations towards whatever the particular ski area or that days conditions have to offer and have as much fun as I can while I'm there. Sometimes I'll get a little bored of what I'm skiing and cut a day short, but I'm always glad I went.

What I don't understand in skiing message bored land is the perpetual urge by certain people to tell others how much better their mountain is than where others ski. If not that, just blanket statements about how they think a place sucks. Think a place sucks? Don't ski there. If other people like a place that you think sucks? Who cares?

Sugart

I've never really cared all that much about what others think of a particular area. I enjoy skiing just about everywhere. I just adjust my expectations towards whatever the particular ski area or that days conditions have to offer and have as much fun as I can while I'm there. Sometimes I'll get a little bored of what I'm skiing and cut a day short, but I'm always glad I went.

What I don't understand in skiing message bored land is the perpetual urge by certain people to tell others how much better their mountain is than where others ski. If not that, just blanket statements about how they think a place sucks. Think a place sucks? Don't ski there. If other people like a place that you think sucks? Who cares?

Agree 100%. People shit on the Poconos because its not Vermont or NH like people shit on Vermont/NH because its not out west. Who cares. Some of my fondest memories growing up was when my family and I would stay at Brodie in western Mass for a week. It was great, all of my friends were there along with their family, there were seriously around 50 people from south jersey who stayed there for the week. I mainly ski the Poconos, if I am lucky I get up north for a weekend once a year, but I still love it. Ill ski Alpine in the Poconos if it just meant that Id be skiing for the day.

BenedictGomez

New York is not New England

Now that that public service message is out of the way.....

Overrated: Killington
Underrated: Bolton Valley

skiersleft

I don't care if NE meant New England, I'm going to take it to mean Northeast. In the northeast, the most underrated hill for me is Gore. Hands down. All things being considered, Gore is better than Whiteface. It's also better than most big hills in Vt and NH.

The most overrated is Tremblant. Continuosly earns top honors in Ski Magazine, but it's mostly because of the village. In terms of skiing, Tremblant is a second tier mountain behind the real eastern big dogs like Stowe, Sugarloaf, Killington, Sugarbush, Jay Peak, etc.

I also agree that Stratton is generally underrated. It's not as bad as "hardcore" skiers allege it is. While it's not challenging, it has very solid and extremely fun cruising terrain. And the lift system may very well be the best in the east. Very decent tree skiing, albeit not challenging and a pretty big hill. It's not Jay Peak, but it ain't bad either. And certainly not as bad as the so called experts allege it is.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I also agree that Stratton is generally underrated. It's not as bad as "hardcore" skiers allege it is. While it's not challenging, it has very solid and extremely fun cruising terrain. And the lift system may very well be the best in the east. Very decent tree skiing, albeit not challenging and a pretty big hill. It's not Jay Peak, but it ain't bad either. And certainly not as bad as the so called experts allege it is.
I don't see to many people knocking Stratton. I often see it juxtaposed to Magic since they are near each other and very different mountains. But Stratton has good skiing, surprisingly so actually, so in that sense it may be underrated for skiing quality. I can't stand the place for other reasons but as far as trail quality goes, the trails actually have some character and as noted there is some nice glade skiing to be had.

I agree with DHS in the sense that this thread needs some parameters in terms of over or under rated by which demographic or crowds. But I don't think saying over or under rated (as long as properly defined) is a put down. I see it as more of "which areas are people over looking by sticking with their old stand bys". Invariably, this discussion topic is going to sprout to arms, one suggesting the big resorts are over rated and another suggesting the well known challenging "skier's mountains" are over rated, both because people get locked into them and end up missing other interesting areas.

I'm all for a thread that's ultimate goal says: you should try skiing other mountains, perhaps these one's that you might not have considered.

Having been there done that, I'd say not enough expert level skiers get to Smuggs. The place is amazing and worth the extra drive and I can pretty much guarantee any expert level skier will be kicking themselves for not getting there sooner once they finally do.

The only places I can think of that are over rated are over rated by the press. Ski magazines get paid to say that the places that pay them the most money are the best. So that is being rated higher than other mountains that may be better overall for most skiers. But the big resorts do work very well for large volume of skiers. I just wish people would try out other areas... especially families that might prefer a quieter more low key experience which can be had at many places for less money and less hassle.

Cheese

Maybe I've been there on the wrong days but I thought Stratton was a lousy cruising mountain. Many dangerous trail merges that actually had mountain ambassadors posted at them making everyone slow down. I won't knock their lift systems though, certainly top notch. Personally, I like Okemo over Stratton.

Underrated: Like others have stated, need more specific criteria.

Smellytele

Maybe I've been there on the wrong days but I thought Stratton was a lousy cruising mountain. Many dangerous trail merges that actually had mountain ambassadors posted at them making everyone slow down. I won't knock their lift systems though, certainly top notch. Personally, I like Okemo over Stratton. Okemo trails are what I don't like about about Okemo. You could plop me down on any trail and i would not be able to tell it from the one next to it in most cases.

Underrated: Like others have stated, need more specific criteria.

Actually I have only skied Stratton on weekdays, there was some fun to be had while there. The lift system was great and never saw an Ambassador. As I have said before and others have said it is the general vibe of the place that is creepy. I would take Stratton over Okemo.

dmc

Thank you..

I will say that if a place gets a really bad rap it makes me more interested to go...
Like Hunter, Whiteface and Cannon take a lot of abuse from some but get mad props by others...

The very thing that intermediate skiers/riders complain about may be what draws me there...

Cornhead

I don't know if it's underrated as much as it's below the radar, but Bolton Valley is a great local's hill in VT. I never heard of the place, and wouldn't have, if I didn't ask a lady working the counter of a ma and pa store on my first visit to VT. It was funny because when I asked her where she liked to ski, she was almost embarassed when she said, " Well, I like Bolton Valley." To which my reply was, "Bolton Valley?, where the hell is that?". Glad I asked. Another nice thing about BV, is they have night skiing, a rarity in VT. I once left NY at noon, skied BV at night, then hit Stowe the next day. It was nice not having to get up at 3 am to start my trip.

Cheese

Actually I have only skied Stratton on weekdays, there was some fun to be had while there. The lift system was great and never saw an Ambassador.

My comment was only in reference to "cruising". If I'm going to wick it up to 80% of my ability, I want to do it without endangering others and that just didn't seem all that possible at Stratton. Another example would be Sunny Side at Waterville Valley. 4 great black or double black trails where you can wait for a clearing, then safely rip down the steeps. Unfortunately they all dump out onto Valley Run which is a beginners area and many forget to throttle back through this zone as they're speeding back to the main lift.

My comment wasn't to trash Stratton for all types of skiing or skier abilities, just to state that I didn't feel their merges mixed well with "cruising".

4aprice

I don't know DHS I think its just grist for the ever grinding mill. I agree that telling people an area they like sucks because its not their cup of tea is not cool. I personally don't like slamming ski areas but I see no harm in having opinions on what one likes and doesn't like and the reasons for that.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

WWF-VT

Having been there done that, I'd say not enough expert level skiers get to Smuggs. The place is amazing and worth the extra drive and I can pretty much guarantee any expert level skier will be kicking themselves for not getting there sooner once they finally do.

+1 on Smuggs. It's promoted as a family mountain but has some of the best terrain in VT.

Smellytele

My comment was only in reference to "cruising". If I'm going to wick it up to 80% of my ability, I want to do it without endangering others and that just didn't seem all that possible at Stratton. Another example would be Sunny Side at Waterville Valley. 4 great black or double black trails where you can wait for a clearing, then safely rip down the steeps. Unfortunately they all dump out onto Valley Run which is a beginners area and many forget to throttle back through this zone as they're speeding back to the main lift.

My comment wasn't to trash Stratton for all types of skiing or skier abilities, just to state that I didn't feel their merges mixed well with "cruising".

I guess all I was saying is that on weekdays it never came into play but I guess I can see it happening on a crowded weekend. Also the last time I went last year it was snowing (the 1 storm we had last year) and it was a ghost town.