• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your DIN setting?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Who's moderating anything?

You guys are being a little harsh on riverc0il, imho...
It is cool. I can take it. My comment was a bit rough.

But here is why: my second post in this thread that drew the criticism was a response to the OP that tried to shut me down by telling me my comments were not necessary and that I shouldn't have posted. Someone needed to point out that comparing DINs is rather silly. I only got hostile when my humerous jab drew a rebuke itself. Fair enough?

I didn't get to go skiing last weekend and I am testy. Bring it. :D

Puck it

It is cool. I can take it. My comment was a bit rough.

But here is why: my second post in this thread that drew the criticism was a response to the OP that tried to shut me down by telling me my comments were not necessary and that I shouldn't have posted. Someone needed to point out that comparing DINs is rather silly. I only got hostile when my humerous jab drew a rebuke itself. Fair enough?

I didn't get to go skiing last weekend and I am testy. Bring it. :D

Agree with assesment! Nice.

Hawkshot99

I hadnt actually put my #'s into the chart in a while, even though I adjust skis every day:dunce:. Turns out I am a 9.5 or 11, depending on if I go 3, or 3+. I set my skis between 10 and 12 depending on the pair and terrain.

skiNEwhere

No, it was necessary. It doesn't offend me so much as concerns me. Sharing DINs is no more relevant than comparing pant sizes or shoe sizes and at worst it could be dangerous if some idiot gets into a "this one goes to 11" cock waving competition. If you want to debate the merits of trusting the manufacturer charts that ski techs use, go for it. Posting numbers is at best no different than posting pant sizes and at worst could instigate someone to do something stupid.

I'm on the tech installed mark for someone my weight, age, and III+ ability. I don't crank it up for cliff jumps and I don't pre-release. I ain't posting my number... I don't want any one to feel inferior because they need to crank theirs up to feel secure. :D

It's people like you who are the reason I only post on this site for a month or so and then disappear for the remaining months of the year.

I started this thread simply to make conversation, like MANY OTHER people do, but you had to make a snide remark instead of being cordial about it, or sending me a PM about it. It seems like you are the only one bothered by this.

skiNEwhere

Wording, especially second post. It comes off as condescnending to me at least.

Hold it, stop! When I was replying to rivercoil's second post, there was only 1 or 2 pages. I was multitasking and by the time I posted a reply I saw that there were 5 pages! So please excuse me if my last post seemed missplaced.

I was not trying to start a dick measuring contest. This is a ski site, and I know there are a lot better and dedicated skiers than me, especially seeing as I've spent FOUR of the last 8 years in the middle-east (2 Iraq, 2 Afghanistan) while in the Marines and as a contractor, so my skiing isn't nearly as good as it should be, which is also the reason I've been on this site 5 years and only have 500 posts.

And speaking of which, how the hell am I a newbie? I'm not a veteran (of this board), but I think I've been on this site long enough to have that label removed, and at least have a little courtesy.

I took RC's post as saying "How rude of you to ask that question, what were you thinking", when I was just trying to make conversation. That's ALL

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think your posts are great.... this 50 reply thread is the proof of the pudding ... PS thanks for your service

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

snowmonster

i like that site, any time i get put in an age bracket that includes 18 -30 i'm happy.

i like the chart too, i'd found a copy of this a few years ago

MarkerDinChart0708_sm.jpg
I remember that bvibert (I think) posted this chart up a few years ago. I printed it out and it's part of my reference material in my tuning kit. It just goes to show you that topics rotate through this forum all the time. This is not the first thread on DIN settings and won't be the last. Yes, lots of dick-waving goes on in AZ.

Nick, Type III+ refers to people who ski very aggresively (i.e., huck stuff, ski very fast, run fast laps on moguls, skiing in no-fall zones where losing a ski is unthinkable, etc.) and do not want their skis to pre-release at all. Considering the type of skiing you do (jumping off stuff), you probably should classify yourself in the III or III+ range. Caution though that, because the skis won't release unless subjected to greater forces, your knee will be the one to give. Of course, the opposite of this is that you can get a variety of injuries if your skis pre-release. It's a balancing act and it's your call.

When we skied MRG last year, you kept walking out of your skis. I took a look at your bindings, saw the DIN setting and looked at you (if you all haven't met Nick, he's not a small man). First thing I said was that your DIN was set too low. You may want to have them adjusted before the season begins.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah the description just threw me off --- The description says, "Type 3+ - For skiers who desire visual indicator settings higher than settings for a Type 3 skier."

That sounds like it was just designed to make you feel better, not that the skier type was actually more advanced.

Philpug

I think the question could be asked.."Do you ski at, above or below what you DIN should be?"

Marker: Above
Look/Salomon: Below
Tyrolia: At

Care to guess which bindings I ski?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^I am really interested in this comment. I typically ski what is recommended, and the I go based on experience ... so if I'm stepping out of my skis a lot I will up it incrementally until I feel I am only losing them when necessary.

I don't know enough about each manufacturer to share DIN settings by brand; but why would one have different DIN release settings than others? Are they not standardized? IOW why would you want to release earlier on a Look or Solomon vs. a Marker?

Philpug

^I am really interested in this comment. I typically ski what is recommended, and the I go based on experience ... so if I'm stepping out of my skis a lot I will up it incrementally until I feel I am only losing them when necessary.

I don't know enough about each manufacturer to share DIN settings by brand; but why would one have different DIN release settings than others? Are they not standardized? IOW why would you want to release earlier on a Look or Solomon vs. a Marker?

While DIN is standardized, binding quality and retention is not. I can ski a Look or Salomon below what is recommended and still have confidence in them that I will not pre release.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So is your list above essentially a statement on quality and "release tolerance levels"?

Just asking, I know you are an equipment guru :)

I would have figured a DIN setting of, say, 8, is the same on all brands.

If it's standardized "shouldn't" the retention be the same, unless the basic premise is that the quality makes the tolerance levels different. So a Look on DIN 8 will always release in the same situation where a Marker may / may not?

Philpug

So is your list above essentially a statement on quality and "release tolerance levels"?

Just asking, I know you are an equipment guru :)

I would have figured a DIN setting of, say, 8, is the same on all brands.

If it's standardized "shouldn't" the retention be the same, unless the basic premise is that the quality makes the tolerance levels different. So a Look on DIN 8 will always release in the same situation where a Marker may / may not?

On the table, they will both release the same way. it is how they function when they are used. I am not saying all Looks and all Markers but the Look (and Salomon) single pivot toe have more elasticity where it can take more shock before it releases allowing it to (in some cases) can be skied. On the above chart, I am a N with a BSL of 295 which makes me a 9.5 DIN. I was skiing my Rossi Pivot 155's at 8 for more of last season and never pre released and never felt that I was in danger of releasing. My Marker Griffons at the same time were set at 10 to have the same confidence.