Looks what is back for 2015

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looks what is back for 2015

One of the most loved and classic all-mountain skis of all time, The Monster, is back, with a newly revamped design. Left-to-right: The Monster 108, Monster 98, Monster 88 and Monster 83.

I hope they do the old one's justice. I may go back to Head skis if they are.

Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

look nice.. i'm not a fan of the more "graphic" graphics. i think i owned a pair of head skis back in the 80s
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2016/17
    MT Snow - 12.30 1.7 1.29 2.4 2.11
    Attitash - 2.17
    Black MTN - 2.18
    Wildcat - 2.19
    Eldora - 4.7
    Snowmass - 4.10
    Aspen - 4.11

The Monster 88 was an unbeatable ski. This could be the replacement for my Hell and Backs.

A review from the SIA

Last season Head debuted their use of Graphene materials in their line of women’s Joy skis. This year they combined an old name with that same new technology. Meet the 2016 Head Monster 98. A beast of a ski with a lighter weight and friendly touch. The Monster 98 joins a new line including 83, 88 and 108mm widths. Head has geared this ski for true all mountain use. It is light enough for the backcountry, versatile enough for the sidecountry and fast enough to rip the groomers. It features an Allride Rocker ERA 3.0, and a structured UHM C base. Basically, it has a great all mountain rocker and a durable base with an awesome tune. The topsheet has a high gloss and the yellow logo pops like a neon lamp in the snow. Tip and tail protectors are included with skin tabs on the tail for easy and secure uphill travel.At 6’1″ 180lbs, I tested the 184cm length. They also come in a 163, 170, and 177cm with dimensions of 135/98/120 and a radius of 21.3m at the 177cm length. Although I prefer a longer ski, the 177cm would also work for me in tight turning conditions but on this test I stuck to more open terrain near the American Flyer lift at Copper Mountain in Colorado. There was about 3 inches of fresh snow that day and conditions were sunny and soft.My first reaction to the ski was that it handled the groomers like a much narrower ski. While it didn’t turn incredibly short, it held on to a turn very well. Releasing the heels was was relatively easy, but this ski wants the full arch. It handled speed impeccably and the rockered tip made turn initiation and transition smooth yet aggressive. The performance in bumps was reliable and predictable but only a bit stiff. It handled crud and chop very well, providing a stable and trusty turn. Although marketed as a light weight , tourable setup, I didn’t find the Monster to be impressively light but it wasn’t heavy either. If you spend most of your time in the resort and maybe do a few hike-to terrain runs off the top of the lift, this would be the ski for you. I’m not sure if it would be suitable for a multi day hut-to-hut trip. This is an excellent option for skiers who want the performance of a frontside ski with a freeride/backcountry twist or for those want to replace their REV series skis with the next new thing.
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Items for Sale
    Sick!!!!!!! So excited!!! Still have the Monster 76 and 102's and use them. You just made my day!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I recall the IM78 getting great reviews back in the day.

I've got the Fischer Ranger 88s and am loving them. They are not he ones with the nicer graphics, but they are light and nimble and hold an edge great. I haven't had them on crud yet, but maybe this weekend///////

Flat tails on those Monsters?
    I also do the Twitters.

Slight upturn on tails not much with a notch for skins

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    Slight upturn on tails not much with a notch for skins

Want!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    The 98 and 108 made it in POWDER'S top ski reviews. Good write-ups. Have to demo.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information