• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk - Night - 3/19/2004

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Mohawk Mountain, Cornwall, CT - 650ft vertical drop - 6-9:15PM 3/19/2004

Conditions: HARDPACK, some corduroy behind the groomers (some of the intermediates and blacks were being groomed while we were there)

Not many people were taking advantage of some of the last days of skiing in Connecticut. It wasn't very crowded; mostly young snowboarders converged on the mountain last night. It may be that it was a bit colder than we expected. Having been extremely hot while skiing at Sundown 2 nights before, we both dressed for warmer weather and were sorely disappointed. It was windy and downright cold. After 3 hours of skiing, we cut out 45 min early because we were both freezing (our own faults).
Hardpack on all of the trails--not what we were expecting after they typical spring skiing conditions we've had lately. It wasn't bad, though. Either my skis are tuned properly now or I've finally gained enough experience to better handle hardpack because I had a blast regardless. Pine was just about entirely hardpack (and full of new skiers practicing wedging); Mohawk had been churned up enough to get a little bit of powder over the hardpack. Arrowhead was being groomed (my first time skiing around a groomer at work!), but I stuck to the hardpack on that one as it was more fun than the freshly groomed stuff. I tried part of Wildwood (from the connector from Arrowhead down) for the first time; it wasn't bad. Looks like there were some moguls at one point that have been skiied out. Natural snow still around the periphery with hardpack in the middle. The most fun I had all night was on Timber. The snow wasn't packed down anywhere near as badly as on the other trails, and some of it had been churned up recently. I think that's my new favorite trail at Mohawk. :)
So I tried some new stuff (my first time on black diamonds--although they're not as tough as the black diamonds up north, for those unfamiliar with Mohawk) and learned to ski on hardpack. I'll take hardpack any day over slush! If the weather stays cold enough, seems like there was enough of a base to hold out for another week or 2 at Mohawk before their season will be over.