• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wilson, Breadloaf (Literally) 11-25-06

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 11/25/06

Trails(s) Hiked: Clark Brook, Long Trail, Bread Loaf Spur

Total Distance: ~10

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Nice, mud was frozen, but ice lurks on rocks!

Special Required Equipment: nothing really..

Trip Report:

Ah an exciting NEHH exploration! Bagged Wilson first, then Bread loaf. Wilson has a sneaky false summit with a vista (it’s only like 20 ft lower than true) and Bread loaf has a vista a few hundred feet beyond the summit on the spur trail. Views were odd because of the cloud cover (made for some confusing false horizons, profiles!). I brought a loaf of bread with me to commemorate my trip and stashed it at the top only to pretend to be surprised when I saw it and took pictures :)

Full Trip report and some moderately awesome pictures here: http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/VT/Breadloaf061125/

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Nice! I did this one recently, too. Check out the difference in the conditions we had. :)

The Breadloaf vista is spectacular. I love being anywhere on that ridge in Vermont and looking out across the Champlain Valley. Wilson was more anticlimatic, although it's a rare treat to get that view of Franconia Ridge, Moosilauke, and the Kinsmans.

Una_dogger and I also encountered a bear, but ours wasn't in a location included in your trip; it was between Breadloaf and Skylight Pond.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Ah yes, I remember these pictures :) Sadly hardly a patch of snow was to be found anyone on this trip! I like the shots of the white capped whites that you have :)
BTW I'm thinking of doing Mendon, Dorset next week to finish off all the VT peaks from the NEHH list. (and maybe catch some views on Killington this time!)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Mendon is a cakewalk. Even the true bushwhacking portion is through easy woods and you might even pick up the herd path. The only thing you need to know is that down low on the old carriage road, in the fork in the open field, bear to the right.

Dorset I haven't done yet; I'm saving that for a spontaneous trip with una_dogger since she lives nearby. :)

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Which Way did you go? did you take the old logging road that sort of forks off to the right near Bucklin? I hiked Bucklin last time I was up there, I'm moderately interested in hitting Killington while I'm up there as last time I did Killington it was foggy (unless its foggy when I do mendon!).

I heard Dorset is mostly done VIA old logging roads.. I dunno tho, need to research this week..

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Correct. At the turn in Wheelerville Road, just beyond Bucklin Trailhead, the old carriage road goes up. At the top of the switchbacks, where there should be a tiny cairn, take a bearing and head into the woods and likely pick up an old herd path to the false summit. From there, drop down (literally) and follow a herd path to the real summit.

Come back to the old road and follow it further north. Easy walk. Don't miss the sharp turn right up a rocky stretch that looks like a drainage (while an old trail seems to go forward/downhill). Keep following north and northeast until it turns uphill steeply through open, beautiful woods and comes out at a small cairn on the LT just south of Cooper Lodge. Go up the spur to the summit and/or head down the Bucklin Trail to your car.

I did this back in 2005 and we included Pico on our trip. Then, this past autumn una_dogger and I did Killington by the carriage road up and Bucklin down.

The fun views are the topo of the big trip, and the 3-D view of the shorter trip.