Storm Speculation Thread Nov 6-7 2012

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Storm Speculation Thread Nov 6-7 2012

From NWS, BOS WFO:
    [for Next Week]

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY...THE MODELS ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT IN SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FORA STRONG STORM TO AFFECT OUR REGION. OF COURSE THERE ISCONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY ON THE TIMING/TRACK AND OVERALL INTENSITYAT THIS TIME RANGE. THE MAIN THREATS WOULD BE A PERIOD OF STRONGWINDS ALONG THE COAST AND THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOWACROSS THE INTERIOR. THE THREAT FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOW ACROSSTHE INTERIOR WOULD DEPEND ON IF THE STORM TRACKS FAR ENOUGH OFF THECOAST...TO ALLOW ENOUGH COLD AIR TO REMAIN IN PLACE. IF THE STORMGETS TOO WRAPPED UP IT WILL JUST BE A RAINSTORM FOR EVERYONE. WAYTOO EARLY TO GET MUCH MORE SPECIFIC...BEING THE POTENTIAL EVENT IS 6DAYS IN THE FUTURE. WE WILL SAY THAT THE OVERALL THREAT OF COASTALFLOODING APPEARS LOW...GIVEN VERY LOW ASTRONOMICAL TIDES.

Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

I like to ski like the rest of us but down here on the coast this will not be welcomed. It's Friday afternoon and we still do not have power at my home or office. Friends shoreline homes have been ripped open and they need to make repairs before we get another northeaster. The other problem is there is no longer a barrier of beach sand /dunes/rocks in front of many places. Hopefully we have several weeks of calm weather so repairs can be made.
    Last edited by mlctvt; Nov 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM.

I'm real sorry to hear that. We're all pulling for you. Despite the continued threat of a coastal storm next week, conditions until then look quiet, as well as a stretch afterwards--high pressure ridging builds in through the eastern US later next week. Hopefully enough to make significant recovery progress. Possible severe storms through the central US next weekend sometime.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the update Winn that's good news.
    We are fine, lack of power and a few downed trees. It's my friends with places near the shore who have bigger problems. Most of them feel lucky too compared to what we see in NJ and NY!

Anybody know anyone who jacks up houses for a living? My boss wants to add at least 4 feet of height to his family's cottage.

Tonight & for the next several days is not good news for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Millions of people still don't have power & therefore have no heat. Temperatures are expected to drop into the 30's for the next several nights with daytime temperatures only in the 40's to low 50's. Hundreds of thousands of people still wouldn't have heat even if the power came back on. Their basements (therefore their boilers) were flooded with salt water & their boilers wouldn't work even if the power came back on. Thousands of others don't have anyplace to call home anymore. Several days of calm weather will not be sufficient time to make repairs. It will take months if not years to repair, other places will never be repaired. Lets hope this potential noreaster decides to head east.

Vermont is looking favorable for some snow with this next system. I'll try to start a new thread on this later today.

Finally got power back!
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by ALLSKIING View Post
    Finally got power back!
    Congrats!

While Snow is great, the effect of this storm would be like pouring salt into a wound for Jersey and NYC. I may be pulling for this one to head out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bulldog View Post
    While Snow is great, the effect of this storm would be like pouring salt into a wound for Jersey and NYC. I may be pulling for this one to head out to sea.
    Totally agree. Gotta keep our snow fantasies in check this time around.

Thread Information