• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Thread Nov 6-7 2012

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
From NWS, BOS WFO:
[for Next Week]

WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY...THE MODELS ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT IN SHOWING THE POTENTIAL FORA STRONG STORM TO AFFECT OUR REGION. OF COURSE THERE ISCONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY ON THE TIMING/TRACK AND OVERALL INTENSITYAT THIS TIME RANGE. THE MAIN THREATS WOULD BE A PERIOD OF STRONGWINDS ALONG THE COAST AND THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOWACROSS THE INTERIOR. THE THREAT FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOW ACROSSTHE INTERIOR WOULD DEPEND ON IF THE STORM TRACKS FAR ENOUGH OFF THECOAST...TO ALLOW ENOUGH COLD AIR TO REMAIN IN PLACE. IF THE STORMGETS TOO WRAPPED UP IT WILL JUST BE A RAINSTORM FOR EVERYONE. WAYTOO EARLY TO GET MUCH MORE SPECIFIC...BEING THE POTENTIAL EVENT IS 6DAYS IN THE FUTURE. WE WILL SAY THAT THE OVERALL THREAT OF COASTALFLOODING APPEARS LOW...GIVEN VERY LOW ASTRONOMICAL TIDES.

mlctvt

I like to ski like the rest of us but down here on the coast this will not be welcomed. It's Friday afternoon and we still do not have power at my home or office. Friends shoreline homes have been ripped open and they need to make repairs before we get another northeaster. The other problem is there is no longer a barrier of beach sand /dunes/rocks in front of many places. Hopefully we have several weeks of calm weather so repairs can be made.

Last edited:

WinnChill

I'm real sorry to hear that. We're all pulling for you. Despite the continued threat of a coastal storm next week, conditions until then look quiet, as well as a stretch afterwards--high pressure ridging builds in through the eastern US later next week. Hopefully enough to make significant recovery progress. Possible severe storms through the central US next weekend sometime.

Hang in there!

mlctvt

Thanks for the update Winn that's good news.
We are fine, lack of power and a few downed trees. It's my friends with places near the shore who have bigger problems. Most of them feel lucky too compared to what we see in NJ and NY!

Anybody know anyone who jacks up houses for a living? My boss wants to add at least 4 feet of height to his family's cottage.

steamboat1

Tonight & for the next several days is not good news for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Millions of people still don't have power & therefore have no heat. Temperatures are expected to drop into the 30's for the next several nights with daytime temperatures only in the 40's to low 50's. Hundreds of thousands of people still wouldn't have heat even if the power came back on. Their basements (therefore their boilers) were flooded with salt water & their boilers wouldn't work even if the power came back on. Thousands of others don't have anyplace to call home anymore. Several days of calm weather will not be sufficient time to make repairs. It will take months if not years to repair, other places will never be repaired. Lets hope this potential noreaster decides to head east.

WinnChill

Vermont is looking favorable for some snow with this next system. I'll try to start a new thread on this later today.

While Snow is great, the effect of this storm would be like pouring salt into a wound for Jersey and NYC. I may be pulling for this one to head out to sea.

WinnChill

While Snow is great, the effect of this storm would be like pouring salt into a wound for Jersey and NYC. I may be pulling for this one to head out to sea.

Totally agree. Gotta keep our snow fantasies in check this time around.

rev bubba

WHO GIVES A SHIT RIGHT NOW YOU FREAKING IDIOTS1 PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS AND FREEZING AND YOU ARE HOPING FOR F'ING SNOW. GET A GOD DAMNED LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Someone needs to.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
WHO GIVES A SHIT RIGHT NOW YOU FREAKING IDIOTS1 PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS AND FREEZING AND YOU ARE HOPING FOR F'ING SNOW. GET A GOD DAMNED LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm shouting. Someone needs to.

OK, I'm with you. Fifteen members of my family have been without power for a week in NJ, with the promise of another powerless weekto go.

How have you been contributing to the relief?

You're in NJ. We're not. What are you doing on a Winter Sports forum anyways?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think if we collectively could decide what the weather was, I don't think any one, even the most die hard powder hound, would wish for this storm. But if we get snow, should everyone not ski out of some sort of respect for those that are suffering? We can't control the weather and it is extremely poor timing that this storm is coming so soon after Sandy when so many are still without power and without homes. But we can't do anything about the weather, whatever is going to happen is going to happen. And with all due respect to you, your friends and family, and everyone else suffering, it if snows, I'm going skiing. Simple as that. Sorry if you find that offensive.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
I am not hoping for snow at all. I just want to know if its going to snow were some of my family lives in the Catskills, its horrible what happen, last week I cleaned up a basement filled with shit water, 80% of our merchandise gone insurance not covering but that is nothing compared with what everyone else is going through.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Calm down....I live on LI and went though the storm no power no gas cold nights house damage ect...Its a skiing forum and there is a nor'easter on its way with snow in NE...What do you want people to do not talk about it.

Puck it

I am in MA. I feel for those people, but the snow looks to be an interior event mostly. BTW, Chill out!

rev bubba

We are sheltering a couple of families in answer to your question on what we are doing and contributing supplies and money. My youngest son is on a barrier island helping with cleanup while the older one is working seven days a week processing claims ..... You?

Why am I on a Winter Sports forum? Probably because I ski around 70 days a year, have skied many of the mountains that get talked about here both east and west, will be skiing the Alps this winter, was an instructor for 20 + years, had the pleasure of skiing with Glen Plake, etc. Need some more? Why are you here except that you live in Mass and have a rather bragging bottom line. "You go first, I'll wait for yo at the bottom" Hmmm..............

Let's put an end to this childishness right now but you did ask the question.

Puck it

Why are you here except that you live in Mass and have a rather bragging bottom line.

And what does this mean anyway. Makes no sense. I am sure if we were in the destruction area, we would not be talking about snow either. But we are not. And yes, if it snows up north on Thursday. I will gladly take some first tracks.

BTW, why are you posting on a ski forum if you are so concerned about others in your area. I would think there would be plenty for you to do then post here.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Some difficult people are like a measuring tape: These people always let us know that we don’t quite measure up. These perfectionists feel compelled to set the standards for everyone else. In short, they judge by their own standards of righteousness.