• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hyundai Caught for False MPG Claims

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...bacle-can-you-trust-the-fuel-economy-sticker/

The fact that Hyundai's 40 MPG marketing campaign, specifically with the Elantra, was a complete hoax is not news for anyone that has researched the car. But it is nice to see them caught red handed and forced to lower estimates and do a small payout to the consumers that they defrauded.

I was surprised to learn (while I saw car hunting) that EPA estimates are provided by the manufacturers and few are ever tested.

But the testing itself is suspect. I am getting 40 MPG average (not just highway) in my TDI that is rated at 39 highway and 33 average (pretty standard for a TDI, manuals do even better). How does one car get overrated by 2 MPG so that the company can hit a 40 MPG marketing claim while another get gets underated by 7 MPG in real world results? Even if you account for my conservative driving style, we are still talking pretty significant bad EPA results for the TDI.

Actual results will vary and all but something seems amiss here. And what is worse is that companies are hell bent on promoting their highway EPA estimate but it is average that is far more important. Bringing up your bottom end MPG for city/town has a far more important effect than bringing up highway 1 or 2 MPGs (unless you log all most all of your miles highway) due to the curve in which you burn more and pay more for lower MPGs (i.e. it is not linear).

Any ways, the whole process and rating system is suspect and I am super glad to see a company get caught and smacked down for letting their marketing department run their EPA testing which duped consumers.

Edit: And according to real world results (reported at
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31216&id=31186&id=31183&id=31370), it looks like Hyandai also has over estimated their low end city rating as well, which appears really high compared to real world and the competition.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How does one car get overrated by 2 MPG so that the company can hit a 40 MPG marketing claim while another get gets underated by 7 MPG in real world results? .

Who knows. The only thing I can guess with why the TDI gets undervalued is maybe because it's a European car maker and the numbers are based on the much larger sample size in Europe where very little driving is done on the highway.

I don't think it's possible to get exact estimates within a few miles a gallon because of how different people drive. I average 35mpg with my Mazda3. 5 days a week I spend 80 miles on a highway going 80 mph and 6 miles in stop and go traffic at 15 mph where I don't get out of 2nd gear. I don't think I could hit the 40mpg highway claim unless I drive the car 60-65mph. That ain't happening.

A good friend of mine drives a Prius. Her average daily drive is a 50 mile commute averaging 40 mph. She averages 62 mpg; 12 more mpg than the posted combined average for the car.

Last edited:

snoseek

I had a civic hx model (manual) that consistently got in the mid 40's, a couple tanks high 40's. I drive pretty normal but am easy on pick ups i guess. There's no way they were advertising 45 mpg for that car. I miss it.

Rushski

I had an '83 Sentra hand me down that got over 50mpg. Of course it was a tiny 1.5 liter engine, weighed next to nothing, was a standard and didn't have any fuel injection.

Gave that car up to early.

ScottySkis

I had an '83 Sentra hand me down that got over 50mpg. Of course it was a tiny 1.5 liter engine, weighed next to nothing, was a standard and didn't have any fuel injection.

Gave that car up to early.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
That is great gas mileage.

skiNEwhere

I don't think it's possible to get exact estimates within a few miles a gallon because of how different people drive. I average 35mpg with my Mazda3. 5 days a week I spend 80 miles on a highway going 80 mph and 6 miles in stop and go traffic at 15 mph where I don't get out of 2nd gear. I don't think I could hit the 40mpg highway claim unless I drive the car 60-65mph. That ain't happening.

I think the estimated MPG is based upon optimal conditions driving the speed limit. No rain, flat, keeping a consistent speed.

I heard a while back that 57.5 mph is the magic number when it comes to gas mileage. Go below that and you're wasting RPM's, go above that and the wind factor starts increasing exponentially to cause you worse gas mileage.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The EPA test is meant to simulate real world driving conditions but the test hardly seems real world to me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles#United_States

No matter what test they use, it is going to be arbitrary. Though I think most people look at the highway number more than city or combined and that should be easier to estimate because there are fewer variables like stopping, breaking, and acceleration from a stop.

The problem is not when actual results vary but when almost every single person driving the same car can't even achieve the EPA (when with most cars, it is normally easy to go over the EPA with appropriate driving habits).

o3jeff

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...bacle-can-you-trust-the-fuel-economy-sticker/

The fact that Hyundai's 40 MPG marketing campaign, specifically with the Elantra, was a complete hoax is not news for anyone that has researched the car. But it is nice to see them caught red handed and forced to lower estimates and do a small payout to the consumers that they defrauded.

I was surprised to learn (while I saw car hunting) that EPA estimates are provided by the manufacturers and few are ever tested.

But the testing itself is suspect. I am getting 40 MPG average (not just highway) in my TDI that is rated at 39 highway and 33 average (pretty standard for a TDI, manuals do even better). How does one car get overrated by 2 MPG so that the company can hit a 40 MPG marketing claim while another get gets underated by 7 MPG in real world results? Even if you account for my conservative driving style, we are still talking pretty significant bad EPA results for the TDI.

Actual results will vary and all but something seems amiss here. And what is worse is that companies are hell bent on promoting their highway EPA estimate but it is average that is far more important. Bringing up your bottom end MPG for city/town has a far more important effect than bringing up highway 1 or 2 MPGs (unless you log all most all of your miles highway) due to the curve in which you burn more and pay more for lower MPGs (i.e. it is not linear).

Any ways, the whole process and rating system is suspect and I am super glad to see a company get caught and smacked down for letting their marketing department run their EPA testing which duped consumers.

Edit: And according to real world results (reported at
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=31216&id=31186&id=31183&id=31370), it looks like Hyandai also has over estimated their low end city rating as well, which appears really high compared to real world and the competition.

I sent that link to my brother who bought one in the spring. He looked into it and they had him go to the dealer to confirm mileage and Hyandai actually sent him a check for abut $50

xwhaler

Unfortunately does not apply to the '12 Kia Sorento we bought last November as we got the v6 and only the 4 cyl models had inflated mog estimates.
I can say that I've been pleasantly surprised at our gas mileage....24-25 90% highway is not bad for a big SUV capable of carrying 7 ppl

ctenidae

Motor Trend gave the Tesla S Car of the Year. 2 all-electric cars in a row. Let's see someone figure out those mileage claims for real...

skiNEwhere

I just read up about the tesla the other day. It has amazing acceleration because of the electric motors, there is no lag between pressing the throttle and feeling the HP.

I kind of want one for my next car. I have 2 major reservations though. I need an SUV because of the snow, and how do you charge it if you run out of juice on the freeway? Does it come with a solar panel? If you are running low on juice and go to a friends house, you can only plug it into a dryer outlet, kind of inconvienent. There are 10 or so "recharge stations" owned by tesla where you can "fill your tank" halfway in only 30 minutes (for free too!), but they are all located in California. This is cool technology, but right now it is on the "bleeding edge". Give this 10 years when it is mainstream and it will be much more convenient.