• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hiking with infant

castleman003

I'm trying to find some small hikes that aren't too challenging something I can take my 5 week old son on any ideas?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey! Awesome question. Congrats on the baby. I have a four month old now :)

I will tell you this. My wife almost killed me when I suggested taking him hiking at 1 month old.

In general I do think they suggest waiting for your first round of immunizations which I think are at the 10 or 12 week mark or something like that. That said, we definitely did stroller around up and down our street where we live, but I didn't put him in a carrier and go for a real hike or anything. If I did I probably would have kept it to 30 - 45 min, maybe a reservoir loop or something like that, since they need to eat / change / sleep so often.

wa-loaf

I'm trying to find some small hikes that aren't too challenging something I can take my 5 week old son on any ideas?

You need to wait until he's strong enough to hold his own head up unless you are using some kind of wrap that will support it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You need to wait until he's strong enough to hold his own head up unless you are using some kind of wrap that will support it.

I agree. That is what I was told. I waited until my daughter was six months old and even then she hated it at first.

castleman003

good to know thanks for the info everyone looks like I will most likely need to wait until spring to start him in on hiking