• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird Tuesday 11/28

tirolerpeter

Snowbird, UT

Tuesday 11/28

Hit the mountain with less than 4 hours sleep because of a delay taking off from JFK and then a screw-up that the car rental agency.

While locals were warning us about "crappy, eastern -like" early season conditions, the snow gods decided to dump about 20" over-night. We hit the tram at about 9:15 (local powder hounds were already making their second runs!) and jumped off onto a black diamond (the only trail open at the time from the tram landing) which then led us to a variety of ungroomed steeps with 20" of fresh powder. The wind was blowing, skies were overcast, and light conditions meant barely any contrast to help us figure out where the sky and ground met.Needless to say, after three runs, we needed a break. Had a good lunch, and were pleased to see the skies brighten. Being able to see made a world of difference and we made a couple of additional runs (3K feet from top to bottom) after lunch. By 1:30, my legs were toast. We decided to call it since it had started to snow again, and we needed our legs to deal with tomorrow's accumulation. We are waiting to see what tonight will bring before deciding on tomorrow's choice of where to ski.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a good first day. Be sure to keep us updated of those crappy eastern like conditions... ;)

tirolerpeter

Skier's Edge

Nice!! Looks like you need to get you skiers edge back.;-)

No doubt about it. I'm really paying for being off it for nearly two months. Altitude has also got me (not to mention my son) huffing more than in the past. At my age "use it or lose" it really means something.

See the Wed Solitude report.

tirolerpeter