• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmobiling?

Skimaine

Yes. Rent sleds. Plan a trip for 75 to 100 miles. Include a good lunch stop.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Good luck with this question, I asked about last year, a lot of people seem to not like it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Never been either but I'd love to try it. Was supposed to go with my wife a few years ago but the snow conditions were no good unfortunately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hawkshot99

Absoluty love sleddding. It is a great rush flying across the lake at 110mph! Didnt get to ride once last year sadly.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

Only been once, I was like 10 years old and didn't weigh enough to keep the sled from flipping over onto me in the turns. Still had a blast though, not sure whether I should buy one now or just put tracks on my ATV

Hawkshot99

I've heard that add well that they can cook pretty good on like a frozen lake

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If I could get that sled onto a packed down lake, then that 110 would go up to 120+. 180HP on a machine that weighs 500 lbs! :lol:

BigJay

Would love to ride trails to the bottom of a bowl and just lap it... and then don't have to XC-ski back home!

Sent from my computer... using Chrome and a keyboard.

Cornhead

I know we live on the wrong side of the country, how about sled skiing, poor man's heli skiing. Has anyone here done it? It is growing in popularity, and controversy, out West. Seems like a great way to get some fresh tracks. I can see how it pisses a lot of people off too.

I've been riding motorcycles off and on for the last 30 yrs, street bikes. I've really had no interest in snowmobiling, maybe because I ski. I have friends that do it. I guess I blow enough money on skiing.

Glenn

Sledding in fun! My wife and I rented one a few years back. Amazing how much they've changed in the last 8-10 years. The seating is more upright, heated grips are pretty much standard and they have plenty of suspension travel. We were on a 550cc fan cooled and it moved us both along just fine. I wish I had more time...I'd love to going skiing in the AM...then hit the VAST trails in the afternoon.

Cheese

I've been riding motorcycles off and on for the last 30 yrs, street bikes. I've really had no interest in snowmobiling, maybe because I ski. I have friends that do it. I guess I blow enough money on skiing.

If you get a chance to ride a sled in deep powder, you'll find it very much like riding a bike. What you already know about counter-steering to force lean angles translates quite well to sleds in deep snow. "Slow before the turn, press on the inside bar handle, roll on the throttle" sound familiar?

Hawkshot99

Sledding in fun! My wife and I rented one a few years back. Amazing how much they've changed in the last 8-10 years. The seating is more upright, heated grips are pretty much standard and they have plenty of suspension travel. We were on a 550cc fan cooled and it moved us both along just fine. I wish I had more time...I'd love to going skiing in the AM...then hit the VAST trails in the afternoon.

My friend is a groomer at Mt Snow. Over the years he has become friends with the guy who owns the snowmobile buisness in the groomer barn.
When I go up there if the conditions are icy we will ski in the morning and then he left the steaks leads out in the afternoon. It's a ton of fun using the local trail system to Mount Snow.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Would love to ride trails to the bottom of a bowl and just lap it... and then don't have to XC-ski back home!

+1
Someday I will have a sled to do this however sometimes I wonder if it is worth the hassle. There is a lot of skin up terrain that can be accessed a lot easier by parking on the side VAST trail.
However, 25 years ago, before VAST was so organized, it would have been a lot easier to just drive a sled out into the mtns to access terrain. Now there are so many rules and expenses that come along with snowmachines. STAY ON THE TRAILS is the V.A.S.T. mantra.

Glenn

My friend is a groomer at Mt Snow. Over the years he has become friends with the guy who owns the snowmobile buisness in the groomer barn.
When I go up there if the conditions are icy we will ski in the morning and then he left the steaks leads out in the afternoon. It's a ton of fun using the local trail system to Mount Snow.

That's livin' the dream right there! It was just my wife and I and the guide. We went as far as Woodford and back. I can't remember the mileage, but we went along at a good clip. The amount of riding in VT is amazing. And the fact that you can access gas and food from the trail is a huge plus. It's a big part of the winter economy too. I want to say it's (or was a few years back) second to skiing in winter dollars generated for VT.

Glenn

I bought a used sled over the weekend. Got a good deal on a 1996 Arctic Cat Puma 2-Up. I bought it for zipping around the in woods. The brake needed adjusting, but that was about it. I had fun with it over the weekend.