• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunting?

skiNEwhere

Anyone go hunting? I went hunting, once, but with my Uncle who believed in hunting "Au naturale", so no whistles, scents, deerstands or anything of that such. So, needless to say, I only saw one deer, for a second and didn't catch any, even though I was in an area with a lot of droppings and bedding areas.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking about taking my hunter safety course this year. Not particularly because I want to hunt but because my boyfriend does and there are different rifles and such in the house that I have no idea how to use properly. Although, I wouldn't mind going out for a hunt when he does one time. I don't know if a)i'd be able to stay quiet for x amount of hours in the woods b)be able to walk x amount of miles in the woods and lastly c) actually be able to pull a trigger if i happened to have a deer/elk/whatever else is hunted in a good shot

bzrperfspec77

Yup! Hunter here. I've been doing it with my father since I was 12 (28 now). We are able to hunt right out our back door, so that makes it even more fun as its woods that I spend time in year round (Dirtbikes). To me, its more family time than it is the "hunt to get something" because out of those 16 years, I've only got 1 deer! In Mass, I do all 3 seasons (Bow, Shotgun and Muzzleloader). Makes for a long Hunting Season, but its nice having the variety of the seasons.

After Deer season, we go after the coyotes. They just got my cats 2 months ago...

Terry

Been hunting since I was 10. 52 now. Started out hunting with my father and older brother. My father gave it up a few years ago but my brother and I still hunt together every year.

gottabelight

I've been a few times, some family and friends are really big hunters. Some of my favorite gear that I use for all outdoor activities is a brand these guys showed me called Kuiu. I use their stuff for skiing, hiking, backpacking, biking. Basically if I am doing something outdoors, I am wearing it. That stuff is awesome.

bigbog

Have thought about it more than a few times, mainly for coyotes. Can hear them in areas...and know how much a predator they are of young deer and moose. $$$ for coyotes.

BenedictGomez

Have thought about it more than a few times, mainly for coyotes. Can hear them in areas...and know how much a predator they are of young deer and moose. $$$ for coyotes.

Was driving though what I think was Fletcher, VT a few months ago and saw a huge coyotee swinging from a tree in a front yard.

They've made a comeback in New Jersey too. They were extinct here up until the 1980s, but I saw one in the late 90s, and it's getting more an more common people here are seeing them.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Was driving though what I think was Fletcher, VT a few months ago and saw a huge coyotee swinging from a tree in a front yard.

They've made a comeback in New Jersey too. They were extinct here up until the 1980s, but I saw one in the late 90s, and it's getting more an more common people here are seeing them.

Coyotes are all over here in the local woods in Westchester. We had one kill a deer about 100 yards from my front door a month ago.

mlctvt

My mother in law has an 80 acre farm in souothern CT. She used to raise sheep but after losing so many to coyotes they've given up.

You'd think that the lambs would be ones killed but it usually was the mother who died defending her young.

My father in law used to keep a rifle next to the window overlooking the field where the sheep were. He took several long range shots at a few coyotes but never got one.

There are no outdoor cats in this area any more. Coyotes and fisher cats took care of them.

bigbog

Hey fwiw...if anyone ever thinks about picking up a pellet gun(squirrels...etc)...FORGET IT!..lol. Man my $50+ toy is a $50+ waste of $$. Should've saved the slip & returned it.
Gonna pick up a squirrel trap tomorrow....
Coyotes take deer and moose calves bigtime. Saw one in the middle of our road ~100yds off from VFW Pkway(W.Roxbury, MA) ~midnight several nights back in mid 90s. Of course there was some reserve just off an ajoining pkwy... ~1mi away...plenty of deer used to hangout...sooo.

Last edited:

mlctvt

Hey fwiw...if anyone ever thinks about picking up a pellet gun(squirrels...etc)...FORGET IT!..lol. Man my $50+ toy is a $50+ waste of $$. Should've saved the slip & returned it.
Gonna pick up a squirrel trap tomorrow....

Try a Sheridan pump, works great on squirrels. Just an FYI though you'll never get rid of them. I took out 26 a few years ago and they kept coming. My father in law killed over 50 around his house and he's still overrun. The neighbors will just move in.

They breed year round , I've read that they are the only animlas besides humans that do. :smile:

Edit- Wow I just checked the current price of a Sheridan Blue Streak, it's around $200 now. Crosman bought out Sheridan.
I've had mine for over 30 years I think it was about $50 back then. It's a quality USA made piece though. I doubt they are still US made now.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nothing against hunting but I think I'd have a hard time shooting a big animal like a deer or something.

My neighbors are HUGE hunters. They travel yearly to Africa and go on these safaris. I think their living room alone has like 70 animal heads on the wall.

They are very good about it though. Apparently when they hunt the villages in the area in Africa literally use every single part of the animals they hunt. Food, clothing, even bones are used for stuff.