Skiing Head Lamps

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Skiing Head Lamps

I'm about to buy a head lamp for making some night time turns off piste. I see a wide range of lamps with all different levels of lumens. I don't want to buy a low end light and am almost thinking of using a mountain biking light because they seem to powerful AND have USB charging but am not sure if they will hold up in the cold.

Anyone with experience in this area?

Re: Skiing Head Lamps

Good bike lights will give 2-3 hours of run time with more light than you need.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.amazon.com/Magicshine-MJ-...agicshine+1400

This is IMO the brightest bang for your buck, you can get a helmet strap seperately. I ride mtb at night with it and its very bright. run it low to medium on the up and full power on the down.

I have tried skiing at night with a lamp. I can see much better with no light. Just let my eyes adjust to the darkness and I can see great. The white snow reflects the little amount of light great.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

This sounds like something that could be amazing fun at resorts all over the world if not for lawyers.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I have a Petzl Tikka2 Plus headlamp, and while it is great, it is defintely insufficient for doing something at speed (like mountain biking or skiing), unless you were going to be staying at a jog pace (like 5 - 10 mph)
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have a Petzl Tikka2 Plus headlamp, and while it is great, it is defintely insufficient for doing something at speed (like mountain biking or skiing), unless you were going to be staying at a jog pace (like 5 - 10 mph)
    Right, that's why I was considering the mountain biking lights. some of the regular headlights just didn't seem to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    I have tried skiing at night with a lamp. I can see much better with no light. Just let my eyes adjust to the darkness and I can see great. The white snow reflects the little amount of light great.

Good point. Lots of light reflecting from the snow but if the moon isn't out I'd still like the light. I guess it depends where I go and how open the trees are.

The plan is to skin the western side of Mansfield after work at night once the snow pack fills in.

I use a light on the skin up. But once I am up top I can almost never see good enough to ski with tje light. I just take a 20 min break to let my eyes adjust to tje dark and can see even better than the light. Even on a moonless night. You would be amazed at the amount of light that is out there.

104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    The plan is to skin the western side of Mansfield after work at night once the snow pack fills in.
    There's a crop of folks who do night trips up there on a semi-regular basis. Based on the videos they post they seem to use either bike lamps or the brightest of the hiking headlamps.

Thread Information