Running...how cold can you go? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thank you Skiing!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    It was chilly enough in my basement on my treadmill watching TV at 5AM this morning that I was glad that I had a long sleeve shirt on and almost thought at first about going back upstairs to put on a pair of running tights! Burned a decent amount of calories this morning without really getting a decent sweat going - it was COLD this morning!
    Haha, I head to the gym when it gets below 20. I'll use my bottom and baselayers from skiing to keep me warm. I just love being outside in all weather.

I find it harder to deal with heat than with cold. After all, you can layer up in cold weather, but in hot weather at some point you run out of things to remove (legally, at least at first).

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    Quote Originally Posted by ecarrizo View Post
    I find it harder to deal with heat than with cold. After all, you can layer up in cold weather, but in hot weather at some point you run out of things to remove (legally, at least at first).
    +1 even walking 3 miles in 70 degrees + makes me a sweat a lot.

I used to run outside from my local Y, an 8 mile loop. One day the flurries were flying. The only thing I was wearing on the bottom were a pair of Nike running shorts, nylon with a built in liner. When I got back to the Y I felt like I had to piss, but couldn't. I was fearful I had frostbite on the fifth appendage. Girlfriends are never around when you need them. She likes popsicles. I was never happier to hit the steam room after a workout. Luckily I didn't have to switch my membership to the YWCA.

I haven't run in years, I don't think my knees could handle it. I never cared for running in the cold. I'd rather run in high heat. I used to run around the track above the basketball courts at the Y in the Winter. No one uses it anymore, they all run on treadmills. It is probably easier on your joints. The track is made of cork, I believe, not nearly as cushy as a treadmill though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Items for Sale
    Gotta be between a walk & jog for me. Found out early on that the hips can't take a marathon on pavement.
    If one were to keep a daily log on me....I'd be missing many, many days...but not account of the temps, moreso from the ice/snow-laden trails(City Forest...2mi away). 200yd section of main sidestreet, just off the yard, is wide(even with snowbanks) with gradual incline in middle and is good in early AM. Gotta find the answer to that middleground between XC and slightly wider ski for flatland & rolling lands/woods moving towards true descents.

Last edited by bigbog; Jan 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM.
    SteveD

Thread Information