• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock - 12/1/2012

Bostonian

Date: 12-1-2012

Resort: Gunstock

Conditions: Packed Powder, snowing, man made

Report: Today was the first day of the 2012-2013 season for me and I kicked it off at my new home mountain Gunstock. They were spinning two lifts, the ramrod quad and the penny pitou lift on 3 trails. I stayed on Smith trail for my trip today. With snow in the air and plenty of manmade snow on smith it was the place to be. While it was only one trail, it was the best first day conditions I can remember in a long time. After 15 runs I had called it a day. Here are some pictures.

y4u2u6yq.jpg

zehetema.jpg

5yzaqamy.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

speden

Well one trail is a pretty thin opening, but better than nothing. Wawa only had two trails, so the more southern ski areas seem to all be having trouble making a lot of snow. In years past I've seen Gunstock get the Pistol triple going in the early season. I always liked that pod for some reason, even though its pretty small. Well I hope they get the Panorama quad going soon so you can get on the longer trails. It's a nice mountain when they get everything open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll probably kick off my Gunstock season on Friday. Hopefully they have the Panorama open by then, if not the Tiger Triple at minimum.

I tend to compare Ragged vs Gunstock a lot because those are the places I've had passes the past three seasons. I made the switch from Ragged to Gunstock last season for a few reasons. Commute time would be number 1. I can get to Gunstock in just over and hour, where as Ragged was 30 minutes further. Gunstock has night skiing, Ragged doesn't. Gunstock appeared to have a much better snowmaking system. The latter is a big one as the two seasons I had a pass at Ragged, terrain expansion was super slow. I don't think Spear opened until January both years and it was always Cardigan Turnpike to start.

Fast forward to today and Ragged is open with top to bottom runs from both peaks and Gunstock is offering only two trails with 500 vert of skiing max. This reality doesn't equal disappointment in Gunstock; it's more a bit of surprise how far Ragged has come. I know Gunstock will do their best to bury the place and have at least 50% of their terrain open for Xmas week.

Give a shout Bostonian when you head up if you want to make some turns. I anticipate being at Gunstock on either Sunday or Monday afternoons most every week throughout the season. :daffy:

Bostonian

@Speeden I was a little disappointed that they were not more aggressive with their snow making earlier this week. But all things considered, I was happy to be out on the snow. Plus I was able to shoot back there around 3ish after doing errands earlier that afternoon to get a couple of more runs in. I have to say having the season pass, plus the house down the street is awesome... Why I never got a season pass for G in the past astounds me...

@Deadhead I will be sure to give you a shout out too. Mondays are tough because of working and living outside boston, but I am sure some snow illness on a monday will happen :)

jude1

Sweet I love Gunstock it's big enough so I can ski with my kids but they can go off on their own and I am not a nervous wreck

HD333

Nice to see snow up there. Probably won't make it up until after new years but seeing the snow makes me want to take a day trip up to fill up the locker and maybe make a few turns.

Gunstock

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.gunstock.com
Thanks for coming up to play. Keep praying for cold weather so we can crank the guns back up. we will concentrate on the upper mountain tonight and tomorrow night, then snowmaking looks rough till next week. someone has to come up with a snowdance that works!