• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LinkedIn

kickstand

You do? There's no hope for the human race. Skynet is self-aware

Yes, because I'm a database/data guy. Something like this is incredibly complex and has a human factor in the middle. This would not be some self-teaching computer system. If SkyNet is one of your fears, I'd be more worried about what iRobot is doing, rather than some marketing company. I bet your employer is doing more complex stuff than this, too....

skiNEwhere

I'm just joking. I do work with the machine though (Cisco) I'm actually a VoIP Engineer, and with my experience technology has a better idea of how to break itself than fix itself, nevertheless teach itself

kickstand

Me too! Teradata is my specialty but also getting into Hadoop and Asterdata..

I'm MS SQL Server and a little bit of Netezza. Used to be a full-blown Sybase guy, but naturally migrated out of that. I think Hadoop and other no-SQL/non-relational systems are being considered for the project I described.

dmc

I'm MS SQL Server and a little bit of Netezza. Used to be a full-blown Sybase guy, but naturally migrated out of that. I think Hadoop and other no-SQL/non-relational systems are being considered for the project I described.

Excellent.. "Big Data" is the cool thing now... haha..

kickstand

Excellent.. "Big Data" is the cool thing now... haha..

It sure is. I've been seeing something about Data Scientist lately. I need to do more reading on whatever that is....

We definitely qualify as "Big Data". My client is the largest for our company. The 4 main production servers total 320TB of disk, well over half is being used. My 9 production SQL Servers come in at about 17TB total. And none of that is including other smaller production systems, development boxes or BCDR.

And that's just 1 client. We have well over 100 clients. It would be interesting to know how much data we manage enterprise-wide. I think management was trying to put that number together, but I'm not sure where it fell.

It's fun stuff. All of this data management and sysadmin work is a great outlet for my anal-retentiveness.... :)