• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Satellite radio

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I can't stand terrestrial radio. The sound quality sucks (though HD radio isn't that bad) but the endless chatter and voiceovers is beyond annoying. I switch between Sat and Pandora. The commercials on Pandora don't bother me much, and are always short.

Glenn

Isn't it funny how annoying regular radio becomes after listening to commercial free offerings?

We have a Pandora One subscription. $4 and change a month. When we're at home, the music is streaming. We also use it a lot going back and forth to VT. We pull enough of a signal to be able to use it for about 98.9% of the drive.

dmc

Understandable. I've been trying to not use specific names as much as possible. Pretty sure I know what it is, though.

I just heard from the DBA and he said there is a very large table named that would make you believe it's for email campaigns.

SiriusXM DBA?

dmc

I like the Woodstock radio station.:)

My buddy Justin is a DJ there.. He busts my chops all the time for being a Sat listener..
But i do listen to WDST more than most on air stations... Mostly over the internet...

legalskier

We have a Pandora One subscription. $4 and change a month. When we're at home, the music is streaming. We also use it a lot going back and forth to VT. We pull enough of a signal to be able to use it for about 98.9% of the drive.

We were at a restaurant that was playing some good music- the waiter said it was "Pandora Talking Heads," if I recall correctly. I'd never heard of it but I guess he was referring to Pandora One.
How do you play it in your car- stream it through your smart phone?

My buddy Justin is a DJ there.. He busts my chops all the time for being a Sat listener..
But i do listen to WDST more than most on air stations... Mostly over the internet...

My wife streams DST on her internet radio in the kitchen all the time. Her only complaint is that they repeat the same 5 commercials ad naseum.

jrmagic

Commercials on terrestrial radio suck. To make matters worse, if you change the station when a commercial comes on, to find music you often find the other stations playing commercials as well. My car is equipped but I bought it used so I didn't get the free trial to tempt me. I may sign up after the holiday gift sticker shock abates.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I listen to 2 different NPR stations in NYC. WFUV, which IMHO is the best radio station in NYC...one of the best I've heard anywhere.

But, in my new car...I was able to get them down to $26 and some change for 6 months. I'll do it again for that same deal, which is up in a month or so. Grateful Dead, Jam On, and the Bluegrass channel are the ones I listen to the most on Satellite.

dmc

I listen to 2 different NPR stations in NYC. WFUV, which IMHO is the best radio station in NYC...one of the best I've heard anywhere.

I was a WFUV contributor when I lived down there. It is a great station!! Also WBGO..

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

When I lived in Westchester County I like 1071fm the Peak. Good rock station.:)

legalskier

When I lived in Westchester County I like 1071fm the Peak. Good rock station.:)

Between the Peak and NPR I have no desire to get into satellite. My wife, God love her, is a different story.

Btw, you can still stream the Peak, Scotty.

ScottySkis

Between the Peak and NPR I have no desire to get into satellite. My wife, God love her, is a different story.

Btw, you can still stream the Peak, Scotty.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
I always forget about that, thanks and I like to put it when I play Legend of Zelda this weekend.

dmc

Yeah, I've been a member for years. I also think that WBGO is the best Jazz station. The other NPR station I listen to is WNYC. (Brian Lehrer and Len Lopate are fantastic). I like the River, 93.9 out of Northampton too.

yup... After WNEW and WPLJ and WAPP crap the bed...
Those were pretty much my stations in NYC...

Glenn

We were at a restaurant that was playing some good music- the waiter said it was "Pandora Talking Heads," if I recall correctly. I'd never heard of it but I guess he was referring to Pandora One.
How do you play it in your car- stream it through your smart phone?

My wife streams DST on her internet radio in the kitchen all the time. Her only complaint is that they repeat the same 5 commercials ad naseum.

Yep! We stream it through out phones. Even the free Pandora isn't bad with ads if you're listening for a few hours. With us, we use it a lot at home. So not having the commercials and "are you still listening?" nag screens was a plus.

Edd

I got the Sirius lifetime subscription way back when they were offering it so I haven't paid a bill in a long time. Mostly I listen to Stern and NPR.

My GF and I split a Pandora One subscription and I do Rhapsody also. Music on a 3G signal sounds surprisingly good.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm surprised public radio hasn't gotten more involved with satellite. It would be something worth giving them money for (i.e. radio without fund drives). I think Sirius had one channel when I got my free subscription with the new car.

Now I podcast everything from my smart phone and use the aux in plug. For music, two SD cards in my car and I'll keep newer stuff on my phone. I get the idea of satellite radio but it is just too expensive and the channels don't have enough sub-genre depth for what they are charging.

If unlimited data plans weren't ridiculously expensive, I could see doing internet radio via phone. I think that is the future once data plans come down in price.

legalskier

yup... After WNEW and WPLJ and WAPP crap the bed...
Those were pretty much my stations in NYC...

Remember Alison Steele, "the Night Owl"? What a voice, she was my go to dj at night.

200px-AlisonSteele.jpg

Now I podcast everything from my smart phone and use the aux in plug. For music, two SD cards in my car and I'll keep newer stuff on my phone.

Interesting options there. I just have to learn how to upload podcasts onto my cell.

bvibert

Staff member
I had Sirius for a few years, but I didn't really find it worth it 90% of the time I'm in the car, which is a ~20 minute drive to and from work. It's nice on longer trips, but that wasn't enough for me to keep it.

I also get emails all the time, presumably trying to entice me back with deals, but I just delete them. I would get it again if it was free, but otherwise I'm not interested.