• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Satellite radio

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Interesting options there. I just have to learn how to upload podcasts onto my cell.
I use the Podcast Addict app. It automatically downloads my podcasts as soon as they are released and as long as I am on WiFi. I never have to remember to download episodes and if I podcast binge one weekend, I can go back to something I missed. The biggest plus is I never have to transfer files or edit tags or even do anything besides listening. This tech is truly a podcasting game changer.

2sons

Satellite is nice to have late night when your driving north in the pockets where there's no local station coming in. I don't care for the music stations much I mostly listen to Stern. I also stream FUV when there's cell reception. Sure miss Claudia in the mornings... Allison Steele- I had a mad crush on her growing up.

Edd

I use the Podcast Addict app. It automatically downloads my podcasts as soon as they are released and as long as I am on WiFi. I never have to remember to download episodes and if I podcast binge one weekend, I can go back to something I missed. The biggest plus is I never have to transfer files or edit tags or even do anything besides listening. This tech is truly a podcasting game changer.

I started listening to podcasts just this year. I use an app called Downcast that does the same thing. Apple came out with a podcast app with iOS 6 but Downcast blows it away.

Glenn

I started listening to podcasts just this year. I use an app called Downcast that does the same thing. Apple came out with a podcast app with iOS 6 but Downcast blows it away.

I should try Downcast. I'm using the Podcast app by Apple. It's OK...but a little quirky.

Edd

I should try Downcast. I'm using the Podcast app by Apple. It's OK...but a little quirky.

Yeah that's one way of putting it. I liked it at first because I was enamored with the podcasts but I slowly realized the usability was subpar. Not Apple-like. I think the new App Store has the same problem to a lesser degree.

BackLoafRiver

Bumping an old thread for some advice. I miss Satellite. When I got my Subie last year, I forgot to had them add it and didn't think about it for a while. Now, a year later, I miss having it more than ever. As ski season draws closer and I spend 4 + hours in the car on a weekend, I am badly in need of getting it installed.

If your car didn't come with it pre-installed, which route did you go? I have contemplated the Lynx. Installed it is close to $200. After that, it gets more pricey. To get the whole thing done by the dealership is stupid money.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I had Best Buy install units for both my car and my wife's. Installation is like $79, and when we've had any problems, they've fixed it for free (labor).

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I gave up my satellite in March for Spotify. However, I just got an offer from them for $4 a month for 6 months and was considering going with both for this ski season.

Edd

Maybe 3.5 years ago I bought an aftermarket Kenwood deck for my Subaru Forester. That plus the install ran me at least $400 from a small local dealer. It does everything and has been reliable but I'm unhappy with the usability. The menus are arranged in a bewildering fashion. The interface is firmly counter-intuative. I should have done better research.

ScottySkis

I just use a cd player in my car.

, Fyi store sells used CDs that is what I do. I usually end with buying 6 CDs for less then $30 and the store were I live has huge used section I can get lost for hours in the store.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Humm, I've got a satellite capable receiver in my car, wonder why I never got a trial subscription? Our QC at work has a Honda, it came with three months free, or whatever. When it ran out, they kept calling him to subscribe. He would just tell them it was too much money. They kept lowering the price. He finally got it for some ridiculously low price. When that subscription ran out, they told him it was a one time deal. Turns out the same ploy worked again. These people have already invested their money in hardware. It cost them nothing to allow you to decode their signal. Seems they're happy to get any money out of you at all. Maybe I should make them an offer. I've rented cars with it. I remember listening to the same channel all the way through the Adirondack Park, a place where there is little or no FM reception, pretty cool. It would be great for ski trips.

wa-loaf

Got the free three month with my new car and let it expire. The offers kept coming until they came down to 6 mos for $25, I bit and will just have to go through the cancel/renew dance in January. I like it mainly for Howard Stern in the mornings. I find the music offerings aren't all that great and the quality is pretty crappy especially when you compare it to HD radio.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Between free podcasts and free streaming radio, what is out there that justifies paying money for satellite radio? Serious question...what am I missing?

First off, my car doesn't have an AUX input to plug my phone in.

Second, and more importantly, the amount I would pay for an increased data plan to stream radio in my car far outweighs the monthly charge for satellite radio.

Edd

Between free podcasts and free streaming radio, what is out there that justifies paying money for satellite radio? Serious question...what am I missing?

Not much in my estimation. The only reason I still have it is this lifetime thing I jumped on a bunch of years ago so I don't pay for it. Podcasts and Rhapsody subscription downloads would suit me fine if Sirius closed its doors tomorrow.

Sirius is a fine service and I do have a soft spot for Stern. It is great for drives to the mountain.