• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Satellite radio

BackLoafRiver

I dunno. Maybe I am crazy. Since cell coverage isn't awesome AND I would chew through my data listening to Pandora/ Spotify, I figured this made a ton more sense.

I never really got into the pod cast thing. There is one called "Stuck in the 80's" I should revisit but, really, most of the time I am looking for a variety of music to listen to.

Cannonball

Thanks, that all makes sense. I never approach my data plan limit by streaming and I've found a lot of music podcasts I like to pre-load. And I don't miss Stern (didn't actually realize he was still around). So it doesn't sound like I need it, but at least I get it now.

Edd

I dunno. Maybe I am crazy. Since cell coverage isn't awesome AND I would chew through my data listening to Pandora/ Spotify, I figured this made a ton more sense.

I never really got into the pod cast thing. There is one called "Stuck in the 80's" I should revisit but, really, most of the time I am looking for a variety of music to listen to.

You're not crazy. To make the phone suit your needs reliably you'd need to be a habitual downloader. Even with unlimited data you'll get screwed on the coverage end while driving to mountains.

Cannonball

Downloading podcasts is easier than you might think. I have about a dozen feeds set to automatically download at 3am when my phone is guaranteed not to be doing other things, is on WiFi, and is charging. I have it set to keep the 3 most current podcasts for each feed (though that can be changed). So without even thinking ahead, I usually have 10-30 hours worth of new stuff available to listen to on any given drive. I almost never turn the radio on anymore.

Bluetooth in my car makes it even easier, but we still rock the old tape converter in my wife's car (in some ways I like that better).

drjeff

If you enjoy more than just listening to tunes while driving, say listening to an NFL game or an MLB game or a NASCAR race or even most forms of talk radio, you can't beat satellite radio, especially in some of the places that our drives to ski areas take us! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you enjoy more than just listening to tunes while driving, say listening to an NFL game or an MLB game or a NASCAR race or even most forms of talk radio, you can't beat satellite radio, especially in some of the places that our drives to ski areas take us! :)

wait a minute

People actually listen to Nascar on the radio?

I can get going to a race and getting your mullet and drink on. I could probably tailgate a Dungeons and Dragons convention and have a good time.

But, it's insanely boring watching cars make left turns on a TV. I can't even imagine how much more boring it is to listen to someone talk about cars making left turns on the radio.

drjeff

wait a minute

People actually listen to Nascar on the radio?

I can get going to a race and getting your mullet and drink on. I could probably tailgate a Dungeons and Dragons convention and have a good time.

But, it's insanely boring watching cars make left turns on a TV. I can't even imagine how much more boring it is to listen to someone talk about cars making left turns on the radio.

Yup, there are some that listen to NASCAR on the radio, myself included :) Then again I've also attended almost 50 NASCAR races in person and have had season tickets for the NH NASCAR races since 2001 :eek: ;) I've never claimed to be normal! :lol: :) ;)

ScottySkis

Yup, there are some that listen to NASCAR on the radio, myself included :) Then again I've also attended almost 50 NASCAR races in person and have had season tickets for the NH NASCAR races since 2001 :eek: ;) I've never claimed to be normal! :lol: :) ;)

I bet be at race is more fun then watching on tv.

dmc

Love SiriusXM.. And not just because I work with them...

Howard Stern Channels... Real Jazz station... Jam On... Grateful Dead channel.. Coffee house... CNN... Public Radio... Traffic... MLB.. NFL... Rawdog comedy.. Underground Garage...

And I have it on my iPhone too..

I'm a big fan.. And also - watch for SiriusXM to start rolling out Telematics for cars soon.. Like OnStar..

drjeff

I bet be at race is more fun then watching on tv.

Scotty - I can honestly say that in their own right, for a race fan, they're both great. The sights, the sounds, the smells of race fuel and tire rubber, the sense of speed and tailgating with thousands of race fans is awesome. Over the years I've brought many non race fans to races with me and almost all of them want to go back, even though they still may not be race fans.

I will also say that as a race fan, my couch infront of my TV with the surround sound cranking actually gets me information about all the drivers and in essence gets me a more complete viewing of the race.

It's the same for me with my beloved New England Patriots. I LOVE being in my seats at Gillette Stadium watching them live after tailgating with my friends, but that same seat on my couch in front of my plasma where I enjoy a greater amount of information in real time than I get while i'm at a game.

gmcunni

what you paying for SiriusXM? my 1 year free is up. $30 / 6 months is the initial offer. i hear you can get streaming added for same $$ if you wait.
siriusXM.jpg

yeggous

what you paying for SiriusXM? my 1 year free is up. $30 / 6 months is the initial offer. i hear you can get streaming added for same $$ if you wait.
View attachment 20531

I've always renewed at $25 for 6. I don't care about streaming. I would be interested to hear if others have promos that include their travel link data service for your infotainment / Nav system.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app