• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Satellite radio

legalskier

So my wife really likes her sister's car satellite radio, which she heard when they took a road trip.....Hint-hint.

I'm thinking, why get it if you're only doing short trips- she'll be at her destination before the thing locates a satellite. The radio she heard is built in, while we'd have to run it through an input. Plus a monthly subscription, kaching- in an area with lots of good radio stations anyway.
As you can see, I've talked myself out of it. Then again, I am married.

Does anyone have any input on getting started, possible deals, sound quality, etc etc? Thanks in advance
:-?

SKIQUATTRO

we have in both cars....love it, i havent listened to terrestrial radio in years.

o3jeff

I think they are pretty desperate for customers since every 2-3 weeks I get something in the mail from them about signing up again for next to nothing. They send me 3 of them each time, one for each of the cars I've owned in the past 5 years!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
We also have it in both cars, and it's like HDTV. Once you get it, you can't imagine how you lived without it. I got a new windshield over the summer, and the drive home without an antenna was almost unbearable.

Warp Daddy

Had it let it lapse for similar reasons to yours , when we travel longdistance its nice butour TRAVEL car is not a daily use car so we letit lapse . BTW kep holding out they ,ll discount heavily , i' m still getting monthlyDEALS from them , mebbe they'll pay me some day

Puck it

It was nice when it was free in my new truck. But not worth the extra money. May be if it was cheaper.

dmc

I think they are pretty desperate for customers since every 2-3 weeks I get something in the mail from them about signing up again for next to nothing. They send me 3 of them each time, one for each of the cars I've owned in the past 5 years!

I'm actually working with SiriusXM to assist them with their marketing database and how it's used...
Hopefully that will change soon...:)

dmc

My car has it and I have a unit in the house too..
I can also listen on my smart phone..

kickstand

I'm actually working with SiriusXM to assist them with their marketing database and how it's used...
Hopefully that will change soon...:)

Really? I bet you're somehow communicating with someone in my company then...I was going to make a comment about going into their database and dropping 2 of the 3 records for o3jeff, but then I saw this...

drjeff

we have in both cars....love it, i havent listened to terrestrial radio in years.

We also have it in both cars, and it's like HDTV. Once you get it, you can't imagine how you lived without it. I got a new windshield over the summer, and the drive home without an antenna was almost unbearable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|||||||||||||||||||||||

What they said!

Doesn't matter whether its a 3 minute drive to get coffee or a 3 hour drive to Vermont to go skiing, it's on all the time in our cars

Love it so much that I also have a subscription for my office, so I'm listening to it all day at work too :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I enjoy it also. Never had it before and my wife got a new Ford Edge with six months of Sirius. Love it. Even with pandora / slacker / etc. it's still better. Ended up extending six more months, was $54 for six months including internet radio, so I can use it on my Sonos system and from my phone.

HD333

I enjoy it also. Never had it before and my wife got a new Ford Edge with six months of Sirius. Love it. Even with pandora / slacker / etc. it's still better. Ended up extending six more months, was $54 for six months including internet radio, so I can use it on my Sonos system and from my phone.
XM came free with our Tahoe. Great on road trips. Not sure when if ever it will expire but we will probably reup once it does.

dmc

Really? I bet you're somehow communicating with someone in my company then...I was going to make a comment about going into their database and dropping 2 of the 3 records for o3jeff, but then I saw this...

Email campaigns can be problematic..
I was there one day when just about all their emails got snagged in a spam filter... people were not happy..

ERJ-145CA

I've had it for 7 or 8 years and I wouldn't want to get rid of it. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio since I got it and don't miss it at all. Whatever type of music I want with no commercials on the music channels. Also on road trips you don't have to constantly scan for radio stations.

Fla fla flo hi.

kickstand

Email campaigns can be problematic..
I was there one day when just about all their emails got snagged in a spam filter... people were not happy..

Not sure if we do their email campaigns or not. We may just do snail mail. I'd have to ask the primary DBA. He'd probably know. Which tool are you using for their campaigns?

dmc

Not sure if we do their email campaigns or not. We may just do snail mail. I'd have to ask the primary DBA. He'd probably know. Which tool are you using for their campaigns?

I probably shouldn't really say here..

kickstand

I probably shouldn't really say here..

Understandable. I've been trying to not use specific names as much as possible. Pretty sure I know what it is, though.

I just heard from the DBA and he said there is a very large table named that would make you believe it's for email campaigns.

wa-loaf

Enjoying the freebie on my new car. On the fence on keeping it however.

ctenidae

I was hugely skeptical at first, thought it was a retarded waste of money. 5 cars later, I can't stand terrestrial radio. Especially morning radio shows. If I want inane chatter, I'll listen to Bloomberg...