• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

wiring question

SKIQUATTRO

looking to replace the simple "ON/OFF" emergency switch next to my gas furnace with an "ON/OFF/ON" switch.

TOP POSITION "ON" will be for the Main power from the house/box
MIDDLE POSITION "OFF"
BOTTOM POSITION "ON" i will pig tail out an ext cord end (female end) so when the power goes out, i can just plug in the male end of an ext cord into and and run to my generator (yes, the ext cord from the generator will have 2 male ends)

just wondering how to wire it..

TOP 'ON' has Black/Gold terminals
MIDDLE 'OFF' has Gold/Gold
BOTTOM 'ON' has Black/Gold

Glenn

Make sure that's code. I don't know building code...but I'm going to assume code is on/off. Then again...I don't know code. :lol:

o3jeff

I'm pretty sure code doesn't allow a extension cord end hanging out of a junction box. There has to be a way to put a switch and a plug receptacle on it, might entail putting another box in. Go to a elec supply house and let them know what your doing and they should get you the right parts. Things like this you're better off doing right or if you're not sure about it, spend the money and pay someone to do it.

And why would you pig tail a female end of the cord when you could just use a male end and then use a regular extension cord? Be a lot safer.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
I'm pretty sure code doesn't allow a extension cord end hanging out of a junction box. There has to be a way to put a switch and a plug receptacle on it, might entail putting another box in. Go to a elec supply house and let them know what your doing and they should get you the right parts. Things like this you better off doing right or if you're not sure about it, spend the money and pay someone to do it.

And why would you pig tail a female end of the cord when you could just use a male end and then use a regular extension cord? Be a lot safer.

I agree that it's better to stick with code, it'll probably cost you a bit more, but it will be right.

What you're describing doesn't sound kosher to me, especially with a double ended male cord from the generator. Like Jeff said if you're going to do it put a male plug on the furnace switch.

SKIQUATTRO

this idea was from my buddy who is an electrician...

you cant have the male end sticking as if anyone switched it to "ON" those male leads would be live and if you touched them that might be the last thing you touch.....

ctenidae

I'd pay a pro to do it. The incremental cost of installing a full on generator panel isprobably minimal.

bvibert

Staff member
you cant have the male end sticking as if anyone switched it to "ON" those male leads would be live and if you touched them that might be the last thing you touch.....

This is why you don't want to have the male plug on the output of the generator. In your proposed system the plug would be dead on the furnace side, whether it was switched to the "On" position or not.

tree_skier

For a simple diy I would put an outlet box between between the furnace and the safety switch then just turn off the safety switch and plug generator into the outlet.

o3jeff

this idea was from my buddy who is an electrician...

How would the male plug be hot? When you flip the switch to the extension cord tail your shutting it off from the electric panel therefore it should be dead because your furnace does not generate electricity. If that switch is switched on to the extension cord tail and its hot you're going to be in for a BIG surprise when you plug it into the generator.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Suggestion: do it to code. When you sell your house, you'll have problems with the sale if its not. Mortgage and insurance companies check up on this stuff-we get calls like this all the time in the Building Dept. And if you have a house fire at some point and its discovered you did wiring without a permit (which is the only way to do this not to code), you'll have a hard time getting insurance to pay out.