• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bearpen in NY catskill history

ScottySkis

:snow: http://skikabbalah.com/lostNY/bearpen/BEARPEN STORY.htm
5201__belleayreview.jpg

dmc

Scotty - let me know when you want to go... I've explored around there before.. But never made it all the way up.
Gotta be careful you don't trespass...

zyk

I've been up top numerous times in the summer, but never in the winter. Used to have a lot of clear lines up top, but last time I was there most of it was rather overgrown.

Rambo

Scotty - let me know when you want to go... I've explored around there before.. But never made it all the way up.

For hikers is trespassing a big deal?
From what I have read, a land owner can tell you that you are on private land and you must leave. The landowner can not in any way shape or form, detain you, or threaten you with harm or with a firearm. If you imediately leave the property, I don't see that you will be in any trouble. The landowner can call the police and if they come and find you trespassing - I understand that they will tell you that you are trespassing and must leave the property... I have read that the police do not want to arrest trespassers unless they refuse to leave the property imediately because if it goes to court the court looks to see if the land had posted signs and if they are spaced the required distance and height etc.

dmc

That may not apply to some folks up here in the Catskills..
They load up the shotgun with rock salt...

just warning people..

AdironRider

That may not apply to some folks up here in the Catskills..
They load up the shotgun with rock salt...

just warning people..

They have a saying for this out West.

Shoot, shovel. and shut up.

BenedictGomez

I'm intrigued about this, "Summit skating pond - the highest full hockey-rink in the east", I wonder if there's a pond up top or if they built an outdoor winter rink each year. If I ever win a $100M lottery I'll return this place to glory!

Is that likely to encounter anyone? Seems pretty desolate. On the satmap (link below) it appears there is one trail (that branches off into two) that still goes up pretty high. Are they legacy trails that have been used for hiking, ATV, snowshoeing, etc... so they haven't overgrown? Looks lihe there's a road that goes up to 3000 feet too.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...t=p&ei=hFvHUJG4DMWG0QHZlYHgAg&ved=0CCwQ8gEwAA

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Here is great article about Bearpen from the NY Ski Blog. It is worth reading.
http://mag.nyskiblog.com/Bearpen-Mountain-NY-The-Original-Beast-of-the-East-td2551736.html

This is a great article and I, too, have a great interest in Bearpen...would love to ski it!

Russ, who gave all of this information for the article, was the person who originally made the nyskihistory site that is now hosted on Skikabbalah, the site that Scotty quoted in the original post in this thread.

Last edited:

4aprice

This is a great article and I, too, have a great interest in Bearpen...would love to ski it!

Russ, who gave all of this information for the article, was the person who originally made the Skikabbalah site that Scotty quoted in the original post in this thread.

Was going to suggest people look up Russ's blogs on SJ but couldn't remember his name. (Thanks Marc).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

It seems like an awesome place. Need some whale to develop it. If only I could win the lottery!

It was very close to happening several years ago, I think if all the alpine zone people invested like 1000$ we could at least get a rope tow going their, they get much snow.