• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Japan Dolphin Slaughter.... 100 ready to be killed today

dmc

Dolphins and whales herded into a small cove in Japan...
And either slaughtered or captured for shows...
There's 100 bottle nose dolphins trapped and ready for slaughter now
Watch it here... http://taiji.ezearth.tv/

32376_141325219351050_1898813572_n.jpg

ctenidae

Ludicrous activity.

The only good news is that the people of Taiji are slowly poisoning themselves with the high levels of mercury found in dolphin meat. As is anyone else who would eat dophin. Unfortunately, mercury poisoning is really really slow. And not really painful or lethal.

bdfreetuna

That's some super messed up stuff. These and other images I've seen are some of the most disgusting images, of dolphins being slaughtered.

Dolphins are far too intelligent and benevolent to be treated any way but with the utmost respect and admiration.

John C. Lilly had it right in terms of the dolphins.

dmc

And this continues to March 31st...

skiNEwhere

Would anyone care about dolphins if they weren't smart or cute? Millions of cows are killed every year and no one but PETA speaks against it. Just sayin'.......

dmc

Would anyone care about dolphins if they weren't smart or cute? Millions of cows are killed every year and no one but PETA speaks against it. Just sayin'.......

There's a big difference.

dmc

Not to me.

My intent is to not debate with you - only to raise awareness of this needless slaughter..

Feel free to start a thread about cows being slaughtered if you choose.

bdfreetuna

Japanese culture is very sensitive to "shame".

That they would allow this to continue, considering the international attention it has received, is somewhat surprising.

dmc

Japanese culture is very sensitive to "shame".

That they would allow this to continue, considering the international attention it has received, is somewhat surprising.

Yup... I'm very familiar with Japanese Culture and agree..

I've been told that a decade ago the people would cheer the whaling boats as the leave the harbor and now they leave at night..

My friends in Japan are embarrassed by a lot of Japanese history and current attitudes.

It will end..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is a good devil's advocate question, important to ask. I think there is a few big differences. Cows are slaughtered in a very efficient manner, like em up and kill em' quick. The video feed suggested a long and drawn out process stirring the dolphins into a frenzied fight for their lives and not quick and efficient killing. The commentators indicated that the dolphins caught included the young, so that wouldn't be a good sustainable method of fishing either. It also sounded like the primary money driver was capturing dolphins for show and the killing was secondary. Seemed like a lot of dolphins were getting killed as part of the process, etc. Lots of differences. But the primary is the use of the dolphins mostly for showing. Personally, I am no fan of zoos. They don't make sense to me. If there is a rescue done and it saves an animals life and it wouldn't survive in the wild after time in the rescue facility, that seems cool. But attempts to capture and show undomesticated wild animals has never sat well with me, personally. It seems like the slaughter is the side show activity... if the info on that web page is accurate. And regardless, definitely not a quick and "humane" end, either. Seems that they are high in mercury and thus the meet doesn't seem very good for humans so hunting for food seems dubious, more like hunting for a rare delicacy perhaps? And if societal norms indicate dumb ugly animals are acceptably killed when done efficiently and as quick and humanely as possible whereas smart and cute fish killed in highly inefficient, painful, stressful, and agitated drives isn't held in high regard... well, it certainly wouldn't be the first arbitrary social norm ever, and that is fine.

Hawkshot99

That is a good devil's advocate question, important to ask. I think there is a few big differences. Cows are slaughtered in a very efficient manner, like em up and kill em' quick. The video feed suggested a long and drawn out process stirring the dolphins into a frenzied fight for their lives and not quick and efficient killing. The commentators indicated that the dolphins caught included the young, so that wouldn't be a good sustainable method of fishing either. It also sounded like the primary money driver was capturing dolphins for show and the killing was secondary. Seemed like a lot of dolphins were getting killed as part of the process, etc. Lots of differences. But the primary is the use of the dolphins mostly for showing. Personally, I am no fan of zoos. They don't make sense to me. If there is a rescue done and it saves an animals life and it wouldn't survive in the wild after time in the rescue facility, that seems cool. But attempts to capture and show undomesticated wild animals has never sat well with me, personally. It seems like the slaughter is the side show activity... if the info on that web page is accurate. And regardless, definitely not a quick and "humane" end, either. Seems that they are high in mercury and thus the meet doesn't seem very good for humans so hunting for food seems dubious, more like hunting for a rare delicacy perhaps? And if societal norms indicate dumb ugly animals are acceptably killed when done efficiently and as quick and humanely as possible whereas smart and cute fish killed in highly inefficient, painful, stressful, and agitated drives isn't held in high regard... well, it certainly wouldn't be the first arbitrary social norm ever, and that is fine.

Based on what you see in that video I would agree with you. But I am sure you have seen videos posted from PETA about the killing of cows before. They make it seem extremely inhumane. They have a agenda, as do the creators of this video.

Different cultures do different things, so I try not to judge.

dmc

Different cultures do different things, so I try not to judge.

Normally I'd agree with you. I've traveled the world and really try to live by that.

But it's OK to judge a culture when they are doing something you find utterly detestable and inhumane

It's a well documented event not like a hidden camera in a barn...

bdfreetuna

Just to clarify one thing: Killing dolphins in any manner is not "fishing". Some of us remember our third grade science period better than others ;)

My point is that dolphins are most likely the 2nd most intelligent life form on Earth, besides humans. They have developed a semi-complex language, beyond any other animal, which we are incapable of interpreting. Also they are empathetic towards humans, in spite of our pollution of their waters and sometimes killing them or using them for exhibitionist purposes.

For all we know these animals are telepathic and have forms of intelligence beyond our own. We should be learning from them as much as possible.

The ocean is and always will be the final frontier until we change our attitudes about sea life. Psychologically speaking, humans see them as mentally retarded in comparison to land animals. Because we supposed came from the ocean, and obviously evolution leads evolved beings from water to land as soon as intellectual capabilities are in check and ready for the big show.

We can't tell the difference between our aquatic counterparts and a fucking flounder.

To me killing any life intentionally, without "good" reason, is wrong. But killing certain animals is especially wrong. And dolphins and whales are right up there with wild horses and primates. Except of all those animals the dolphins are probably actually the most chill and smartest of them all. Innocent creatures and too nieve to avoid our sick traps.

ctenidae

My point is that dolphins are most likely the 2nd most intelligent life form on Earth, besides humans.

We could debate your ordering, there. ;)

If the dolphins were a viable and common food source the the practice of killing dolphins, if not the methodology, might be more acceptable. However, they're not a good food source. In fact, it seems most dolphin meat is mislabled and sold as whale meat (as if eating whale meat were a normal and OK thing to do, either). As a top-level predator, dolphin meat is also incredibly high in mercury, which makes it a stupid and dangerous food source.

Fortunately, I think dmc is right- the practice will end out of national embarassment, eventually. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, after all.