• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are we skiers helping global climate change?

fbrissette

I remember these posts last year too.

I still cant figure out if they're actually serious or not.

Missed those posts last year. There is a significant body of literature on geoengineering and climate change (the most likely solution being to send aerosols in the stratosphere to block incoming radiation). The IPCC has avoided discussing this so far - it is almost a philosophical debate and we do not have a very good track record at trying to play god.

Many scientists think geoengineering will be unavoidable somewhere down the line. Expect this topic to be part of the 6th assessment report.

As to the rest of the climate magic, I don't buy much of it. Cloud seeding has seen very limited success for example.

jack97

What I meant to say above is that IMO skiing does nothing to promote enviro awareness. It's an enviro disaster as far as I can tell, and very few think twice about it. Not claiming to be better than anyone else here.

exactly.....

but those vegan babes are sure hot.

jack97

That's a bold indictment. Any facts to back it up?

al gore finally turned vegan last year and the un poster boy has been one for a while. my point is to the majority of people who vote of such things without realizing the implications. this is being tried in germany with much support.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, the details have always seemed to be the fuzzy part. Not that you've let that stop you. Something about big government meat eating liberals that are trying to kill the economy by subsiding new technologies while conspiring with rich foreigners who want green cards to undermine New Jersey's real estate??? It gets confusing at this point so I'm not sure. If the weather manipulation stuff fits in at this point, I don't really get it but why not.

Translation: you've got nothing.

al gore finally turned vegan last year

Wait, that happened? Hah! Was it before or after he sold his Global Warming loving network to one of the largest oil interests on the entire planet? Please. I give 10 to 1 odds he still eats meat when not in a restaurant or public setting. Or when he visits that other hypocrite, John Edward's house which is larger than most city hospitals.

bobbutts

Translation: you've got nothing.

Wait, that happened? Hah! Was it before or after he sold his Global Warming loving network to one of the largest oil interests on the entire planet? Please. I give 10 to 1 odds he still eats meat when not in a restaurant or public setting. Or when he visits that other hypocrite, John Edward's house which is larger than most city hospitals.

lol you are a true idiot. Glad to see you wasting so much time with this thread.
there's nothing here except trolling.

Last edited:

jack97

well his cohorts have not read the latest manifesto....

806F808F16954CFBDCF40D35EACE0_h516_w622_m2_q80_cKoHXmVsz.jpg

tumblr_m4mzoqOR6K1rwruvno1_400.jpg

damn... i feel like going to five guys now.

BenedictGomez

lol you are a true idiot. Glad to see you wasting so much time with this thread.
there's nothing here except trolling.

The AZ resident intellectual speaks.

well his cohorts have not read the latest manifesto....

Yes, and the answer to my former question (which one will note man-made Global Warming proponents here ignored) is that there's no way to extract taxpayer and/or corporate money from getting people to either eat less meat or to own fewer (or no) pets.

Hence those activities, which, IF you believe the UN science behind man-made Global Warming are extremely harmful, garner no focus or attention. Also, if you tell people they're "bad" for eating meat and that owning pets significantly increases greenhouse gases, you'll lose votes. Cant have that! A revolt among the useful pawns of America would be most unwelcome.

skiNEwhere

The funny thing about politics: no party will ever admit if or when the opposing party is correct. They'll just keep adding random facts, and the conversion starts to spiral sideways, where points and counter points are made on a topic that doesn't even have to do anything with the original subject at hand.

In the end, neither side wins. Maybe AZ should hire Gallup to figure out the winner, similar to the presidential election debate?