• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are we skiers helping global climate change?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Enough trolling each other, more intellectual discourse. Please!

I suspect skiers do vastly more harm driving and flying to ski areas than the ski areas themselves do making and grooming snow. And then factor in creating all the gear, shipping that gear, replacing that gear, building and fueling and heating and stocking resort homes and lodging, etc. In the grand scheme of things, energy for snow making is a drop in the bucket compared to even just the jet fuel for destination tripping, let alone driving to the resorts in the local market.

The problem with this argument is the slippery slope. Who is arbitrarily going to decide what is sustainable and what is not? Sitting at home, typing this message on my laptop with a second monitor, two lights going, and a heat source going is using energy. Anything else I do beyond that is using exponentially more. Even for those that walk or bike to work, their work is using energy. Where do we draw the line?

How about watching sports? How much energy goes into a major sporting event? Travel for everyone involved, all the news/media equipment, building stadiums, everyone driving to the stadium. Isn't that a waste?

How many miles do flatlander metro hikers drive every year to hike mountains? You would think that hiking isn't bad for the environment but many people burn 1/2 to a full tank of gas to get from the city to the mountains every weekend for their own personal enjoyment of the outdoors. Should we shame hikers that they are destroying the outdoors they love by driving to them?

No. We need to get past this type of thinking. If individuals personally feel that making sacrifices is important, then cool. Nature will inflict its own penalties and we will adapt. We already are seeing financial penalties: if you don't use fuel efficiently, you pay more. As we burn more fuel, that financial pain will continue to get worse. If a changing climate affects snowfall totals, then we'll have to accept that painful change. The world will keep spinning, those of us that care will do what we think is appropriate. But ultimately environmental changes that cause financial pain will be the only thing that ultimately will and should effect decisions on how we go about our lives, do the things we enjoy, and recreate. Otherwise, it is a slippery slope towards lighting candles to read, not driving, and tanking the economy into ruin.

And all that doesn't mean I don't think humans have made their own bed and should make reasonable decisions about improving things. It is just the way it is. I'm going to keep on skiing, I'm going to keep on contributing to the problem, and I'm not going to feel guilty about that. And I suspect everyone reading this board is in the same boat.

BeefyBoy50

You make a really great point here. I want to add that even if we did try to be more efficient by doing things like driving hybrids, there are certain factors that aren't taken into account in each of these things that still do hurt the environment. How much does that Prius' batteries hurt the environment? How much petroleum is used to put up that "green" windmill? We will only respond to change when it really hits us hard- I know its hard to say it, but skiing will probably be just one of the casualties of this way of life.

Scruffy

You make a really great point here. I want to add that even if we did try to be more efficient by doing things like driving hybrids, there are certain factors that aren't taken into account in each of these things that still do hurt the environment. How much does that Prius' batteries hurt the environment? How much petroleum is used to put up that "green" windmill? We will only respond to change when it really hits us hard- I know its hard to say it, but skiing will probably be just one of the casualties of this way of life.

It's not only the batteries in hybrids, how much CO2 is emitted during steel and plastic production to produce any vehicle? How much CO2 is put into the atmosphere shipping skis made in China to the US?, or shipping food halfway around the world? This onion is steep and deep. The energy consumed to bring you one can of soda or beer is beyond the pale ( no pun indented ), compared to cost of the item in the can.

Look, with 7 billion peeps on this planet, and 10 billion in a few years, then 15B, etc.. the problem is outta control. We are riding on a run away train no one is going to stop. There is no going back at this point. We all need to eat, keep warm, and out of the weather. It's a fantasy to think we can all just stop and go live off the land like our forefathers did; 7 Billion people living off the land would put a serous hurt on this little green and blue orb. We are a product of the modern world our grandparents, parents, and ourselves envisioned. We have no choice but to go forward on this path and except that technology will solve some of these problems, if it's not too late. But, unless the entire world comes together and reduces population growth, stops waring, and focus on the global health of the planet, global warming will be the least of our worries. Until then, I'm skiing.

SIKSKIER

What a bunch of crap.You hypocrites sitting there typing this crap on your very toxin producing computer with your cars sitting in the driveway.Reminds me of Al Gore telling us to shut off our 4 light bulbs in our little houses while he spews out endless energy in his 20,000 sq ft mansion after just getting off his chartered 727 jet.

Last edited:

Cannonball

What a bunch of crap.You hypocrites sitting there typing this crap on your very toxin producing computer with your cars sitting in the driveway.Reminds me of Al Gore telling us to shut off our 4 light bulbs in our little houses while he spews out endless energy in his 20,000 sq ft mansion after just getting off his private 727 jet.

One thing being wrong does not automatically make another thing right. Is Al Gore a hypocrite in that example? Yes. Does that mean it's a bad thing to turn off a light bulb you aren't using? No. Does NASCAR waste more fuel than skiing? Probably. Does that mean the impact of skiing doesn't need to be considered? No. The top cause of death for men over 40 is heart disease. Does that mean I shouldn't bother wearing a seat belt? No.

As Riverc0il said, we are likely to continue doing what we enjoy, feeling some guilt for the impact we have, contributing to solutions when and where we can, and yes being hypocritical at times. Just because we can't personally solve it all doesn't mean we should take no action at all.

dmc

Al Gore does not own a private jet... He's rented them on occasion..
Yet another manufactured story by the Neocons..

kartski

So I'm just supposed to let people perpetuate lies?

Can't stop them either. That's why the 3% of Scientist's, who claim to doubt "Climate Change", get 50% of the Air time on TV. Hell, 52% of Republican's think ACORN stole the election, an organization that no longer exists.

MadMadWorld

So I'm just supposed to let people perpetuate lies?

I could be wrong but I believe the intention of the OP was not throw blame around but to find ways that the ski industry can help improve the impact we make on the environment. I bite my lip on a daily basis when I hear things I don't agree with. It's just part of being an adult. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. What does "winning" an argument on a skiing message board really accomplish?

dmc

I could be wrong but I believe the intention of the OP was not throw blame around but to find ways that the ski industry can help improve the impact we make on the environment. I bite my lip on a daily basis when I hear things I don't agree with. It's just part of being an adult. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. What does "winning" an argument on a skiing message board really accomplish?

I agree and I didn't start in with Al Gore.

But...
Adults can also correct lies as well as picking battles.
I'm not trying to win this debate. But I can't stand by and see lies go uncorrected..

Sorry...

BenedictGomez

I want to add that even if we did try to be more efficient by doing things like driving hybrids, there are certain factors that aren't taken into account in each of these things that still do hurt the environment. How much does that Prius' batteries hurt the environment?

That research has been done. There have been credible studies suggesting the Prius and other hybrids, are nearly as bad as regular cars after you factor everything in. Doesn't matter. Tons of people drive those things to be SEEN in them. Look at me, look at me!!!! See me? See me? Look how responsible and environmentally friendly I am! It's insipid. And the US government was giving massive tax credits that pile onto the national debt to "encourage" everyone to buy one, as ridiculous as it is. Just another example of religious observance despite the facts.

Al Gore does not own a private jet... He's rented them on occasion..
Yet another manufactured story by the Neocons..

Where did anyone in this thread say he "owns" a private jet?
A) Nobody did

How would CO2 emissions from trips in a private trip differ if the jet was "owned" or "rented"?
A) They wouldn't

Can't stop them either. That's why the 3% of Scientist's, who claim to doubt "Climate Change", get 50% of the Air time on TV. Hell, 52% of Republican's think ACORN stole the election, an organization that no longer exists.

This is a perfect example illustrating one of my previous posts in this thread.

92% of people who authoritatively talk about man-made global warming do not have a science background
98% of people who authoritatively talk about man-made global warming have never read a single IPCC report

Both of those statistics are completely made up and manufactured out of thin air with no evidence to back them up, though I'd suspect they're closer to the truth than the two in kartski's post.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Exactly. As I said, nobody said Al Gore owned the jet.

I got off my plane the other day too, but United Airlines owns the jet.

That's not an example of SIKSKIER telling a "neo-con lie" as you stated, what it is is an example of you either reading something that you want to believe, or intentionally trying to stir the pot.

dmc

((( yawn )))

You starting to bore me with all this political stuff tossed around on a Ski Board that doesn't even allow political discussions.....

speden

That research has been done. There have been credible studies suggesting the Prius and other hybrids, are nearly as bad as regular cars after you factor everything in. Doesn't matter. Tons of people drive those things to be SEEN in them. Look at me, look at me!!!! See me? See me? Look how responsible and environmentally friendly I am! It's insipid. And the US government was giving massive tax credits that pile onto the national debt to "encourage" everyone to buy one, as ridiculous as it is. Just another example of religious observance despite the facts.

I drive a hybrid, but certainly not as a fashion statement. Not many people think hybrids are the ultimate solution to excess CO2 in the atmosphere, but you have to start somewhere. Burning oil pumped out of the ground is a dead end approach to transportation. There's a huge amount of research going on in battery technology now because of the move towards hybrids and full electric cars. In ten or twenty years the batteries are going to be much better, and renewable sources of electricity to charge them will be more available. Meanwhile gasoline will be harder to get and more expensive. Maybe I'm misreading you Gomez, but you always seem to be arguing that we should all do nothing and ignore the problem instead of working towards solutions.