• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lindsey Vonn temporarily quits World Cup Circuit

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
via Facebook:

After talking with my family and consulting with my coaches and trainers, I have decided to take a break from the World Cup circuit. Since my intestinal infection last month, I have been struggling with my energy and strength. I believe that some time off the mountain will help me regain the physical strength that I require to compete at the level that I demand from myself. I want to be emphatic that this has nothing to do with my recent interview with People Magazine. I had completed that interview weeks before I was in the hospital with the intestinal infection.

I want to thank my sponsors for their continued support. Most of all I want to thank my fans for all of the kind words and love you have shared with me. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday and look forward to getting back on the mountain in the new year.

Warp Daddy

Wise move , she obviously needs to take time to rebuilt both her physical and emotional health . She has nothing to prove to anyone !

BenedictGomez

What, what a shame. Though if she's not 100% it's certainly the right decision; alpine Downhill is no joke.

For someone who will never read a People Magazine in his life, can someone explain a quick 3-sentence Cliff Notes version?

bdfreetuna

Good for her to take a break. Even champions need some rest. I can understand someone of her champion status might not want to compete if they are not 100%. Just hope she isn't being too hard on herself.

drjeff

Maybe Julia Mancuso can get some golds now ...

Julia, Stacey Lewis, Michela Schiffrin, Leann Smith, Resi Steigler - the US Women's team is strong this year - Now if Tina Maze from Slovenia would occasional ski off course, or atleast mess up a turn or 2 every so often, the presence of US women at the top of the podium would be more numerous this season!

To date, even if Lindsay hadn't been dealing with the effects of her intestinal virus, i'm not sure that she'd be too much closer to Tina Maze at the top of the women's WC standings! Maze has been winning the slalom's and GS's like Lindsay wins a DH, and Maze's performances in Super G this season haven't been too far off of Lindsay's!

Even the men's team has been having some major results! Ligety has already won 2 GS's BY OVER 2 SECONDS :eek: and Steve Nyman won the men's DH in Val Gardena last weekend, and Marco Sullivan podiumed at Beaver Creek last month!

The US Ski Team is STRONG this year! :flag:

AdironRider

In any other sport would someone be able to get away with this?

I think the answer would be no. I have no clue what the intestinal thing is, Im sure its awful, but Im more highlighting the point that in any other major sport, noone would be able to do this because they thought they needed they needed the rest. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

witch hobble

In any other sport would someone be able to get away with this?

I think the answer would be no. I have no clue what the intestinal thing is, Im sure its awful, but Im more highlighting the point that in any other major sport, noone would be able to do this because they thought they needed they needed the rest. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Tennis players will skip tournaments.

BenedictGomez

It's more about being under a team's contract than having others depend on you.

A qualified tennis player or golfer can simply pay to enter XYZ tournament (or even qualify for it). Cant do that in team sports.

AdironRider

Being a member of a team means others depend on you for results. In golf, tennis and skiing you are the only one on the team so others dont depend on you.

Shes still part of a team no?

I was a competitive swimmer back in the day. Everyone associates it with an individual sport, but my team would have lost without me there. Or is the US ski team just a moniker pretty much?

drjeff

I gotta think that its a bit of a few factors playing into her making this choice

#1 the World Championships are about 2 months away in Austria - get healthy for the biggest races of this year

#2 She's obviously still VERY competitve, even when she's not at 100%, as witnessed by her multiple wins on the world cup circuit this year, however, my hunch is she's so driven and such a perfectionist that unless she's physically able to go 100% all the time, she's not happy with her performance - in essence a bit like Tiger Woods in his prime before his "issues" - so much better than anyone else that winning with 80-90% effort is easy, but at the same time so competitive and driven that not being able to compete at 100% isn't acceptable

#3 Tina Maze - she's running away with the worldcup overall title points race right now. Even if Lindsey was 100% healthy right now, she still would more than likely not be in the lead. Realistically, Lindsey won't be winning the worldcup overall this year if Tina Maze stays healthy, BUT if its just a couple of weeks of rest that Lindsey needs to get back to where she feels she needs to be, combined with the Worldcup's Christmas break, Lindsey should be back in time for the majority of the rest of the speed events this year and should be able to win those World Cup individual discipline globes come seasons end, and that's more than likely become her competitive goal this season

Hawkshot99

Shes still part of a team no?

I was a competitive swimmer back in the day. Everyone associates it with an individual sport, but my team would have lost without me there. Or is the US ski team just a moniker pretty much?

I think that the "USA Ski Team" is just a name. Bode quit the team a few years ago and raced for his own team "Team America".
Your swimming got your team points, but in world cup level skiing there are no team awards, just individual.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2