• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Trail Rollout

Puck it

But if the groom the hell out of it and tighten up the reins on other things then...

They all ready groom, leave one side ungroomed like they do now on the front five. In regards to the other things. You can do the same thing at Sunapee on weekdays. They also can not stop you from skiing on runs that are not even on the map. It would not be the end of the world.

SIKSKIER

Since Cannon started making snow this year,they have pretty much made it the same time as other areas so I don't see where a cutback in labor is the issue.Loon seemed to have doubled the ouput last year.Was that just due to the new guns or was more firepower installed?Being there all the time and seeing with my own 2 eyes how long it takes to open terrain tells me the system has serious limitations relative to most major and even many minor ski areas.I don't know what the answer is but status quo is failing.

Puck it

Since Cannon started making snow this year,they have pretty much made it the same time as other areas so I don't see where a cutback in labor is the issue.Loon seemed to have doubled the ouput last year.Was that just due to the new guns or was more firepower installed?Being there all the time and seeing with my own 2 eyes how long it takes to open terrain tells me the system has serious limitations relative to most major and even many minor ski areas.I don't know what the answer is but status quo is failing.
I really think it is the gun tech IMHO that is killing them.

In the fall of 2008, we added another pump to the system, which increased our capacity to around 3800 gallons per minute!

witch hobble

I just don't uunderstand why they don't start blowing snow on the upper mountain and run the tram to upload and download until its consistently cold and then they can focus on lower mountain exclusively.

All the non-skiing infrastructure and revenue streams (ie lodge, main concessions, rental/ski shop, base first aid, etc) are over at the Peabody. So that works for a lot of us, but not for much of the skiing public. I guess they could upload and download on the peabody and ski off the upper mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
All the non-skiing infrastructure and revenue streams (ie lodge, main concessions, rental/ski shop, base first aid, etc) are over at the Peabody. So that works for a lot of us, but not for much of the skiing public. I guess they could upload and download on the peabody and ski off the upper mountain.

That works as well!

skiberg

They have all the same infrastructure at the tram AND they can use the summit lodge as well.

LiquidFeet

Ski school income is a major part of the revenue of any ski area. At Cannon the ski school's base is located in the Peabody area. All those kids gotta be dropped off at the base and taken care of. They need to be booted up, taken out to ski on terrain appropriate to their skills, and brought in for lunch. Eliminate children's ski school and the mountain folds because of lost $$. So the base at the Peabody area has to have snow first.

Last edited:

Puck it

Ski school income is a major part of the revenue of any ski area. At Cannon the ski school's base is located in the Peabody area. All those kids gotta be dropped off at the base and taken care of. They need to be booted up, taken out to ski on terrain appropriate to their skills, and brought in for lunch. Eliminate children's ski school and the mountain folds because of lost $$. So the base at the Peabody area has to have snow first.

Early season ski school is not that bigin November or even early Dec. Every other area handles it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I can fully understand and get behind Cannon not opening early with an upload. I don't think they would have the numbers to drive that type of expense. However, they certainly could start blowing the upper mountain significantly earlier so that by the time they get a route off the Peabody Quad, they already have a route up top. They really should be opening top to bottom. That would also break up the traffic more by allowing half the crowd to cycle the Cannonball, say on Upper Ravine. They could blow the upper mountain when ever temps don't support blowing the lower mountain. This would be a MUCH better option than opening Zoomer early as they did this year. Snowmaking on Upper Ravine can happen sooner and more often with less snow loss than Zoomer and they added the extra lift any ways. They might as well blow Upper Ravine ASAP in early November and open top to bottom. Then they can expand to the tram whenever they want and use that as the marketing tool it should be.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not...
No rentals, no bar, no daycare. Very limited seating

Yeah, it's been a while for me, but I recall the Tram Base having a small gift shop, a waiting area for the tram, restrooms, the NE Ski Museum, and that's it. Nothing else.

Cannonball

There is a small cafe with a few seats as well

Not anymore. They have never really come to grips with what to do at the tram base. They used have the little cafe. It changed themes a few times (psuedo-mex for a while). No that space is the gift shop with some food for sale. They've gone back-and-forth with the rest of the space too. Sometimes having displays, sometimes having a TV. If they would just settle into a good plan, develop it for real, and stick with it, they would draw people to that side of the mtn. In general I far prefer parking over there and just hopping on with my pass. But most of the time it doesn't work out because of the lack of services. You can't count on them selling tickets there (seems to vary every day) so if you're with a non pass holder it doesn't work. You can't get a beer there at the end of the day anymore. At least they used to sell bottles from the fridge. Some weekdays the tram doesn't run. Etc, etc. It is a great resource with an awesome history, yet they refuse to capitalize on it and make it appealing for the general public.

Smellytele

Not anymore. They have never really come to grips with what to do at the tram base. They used have the little cafe. It changed themes a few times (psuedo-mex for a while). No that space is the gift shop with some food for sale. They've gone back-and-forth with the rest of the space too. Sometimes having displays, sometimes having a TV. If they would just settle into a good plan, develop it for real, and stick with it, they would draw people to that side of the mtn. In general I far prefer parking over there and just hopping on with my pass. But most of the time it doesn't work out because of the lack of services. You can't count on them selling tickets there (seems to vary every day) so if you're with a non pass holder it doesn't work. You can't get a beer there at the end of the day anymore. At least they used to sell bottles from the fridge. Some weekdays the tram doesn't run. Etc, etc. It is a great resource with an awesome history, yet they refuse to capitalize on it and make it appealing for the general public.

That's right I forgot that the took out the seating where the gift shoppe is now but they still have a few seats where the little balcony is. The gift shop used to be out by the restrooms. When I used to have a season pass there a lot of times I would park down by the zoomer chair on weekdays and just jump on that.

Puck it

That's right I forgot that the took out the seating where the gift shoppe is now but they still have a few seats where the little balcony is. The gift shop used to be out by the restrooms. When I used to have a season pass there a lot of times I would park down by the zoomer chair on weekdays and just jump on that.

I do that all time. I like parking there. I just bring beers with me some times.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'd be okay with that shop area becoming the "Tram Lodge". The current seating area is okay for what it is... I don't think I've ever not been able to grab a seat. But it sure isn't comfortable. I wouldn't mind seeing that old cafe/shop area transformed into a nice seating area with a bar serving beer and munchies in the corner. A full F&B setup doesn't make sense... they have that at the summit station so why have F&B in both places. But they might be able to make a comfortable lounge seating area with a bar and snacks. The bar they installed at the summit station takes away already cramped seating so why not have the bar at the base area? Would be good for apres too, though obviously the Cannonball Pub is primary, but they could serve beers in the Tram lodge for an hour or two after closing and make some extra bucks and at least have a nicer seating area. Might work well for tourist season as well (though, again, summit is primary for food).