• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 12/23/2012

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 12/23/2012

Resort or Ski Area: Ragged Mountain, Danbury, NH

Conditions:
Frozen Granular, Fresh Manmade, Cold, sunny, a bit windy. No lift lines. :smile:

Trip Report: First trip out this season...between a minor medical issue and family stuff it was difficult to get out soon after Tday like I usually do. Typical early season conditions at Ragged, had 3 ways down from the main mountain and one trail down (Flying Yankee) from Spear. Conditions alternated between groomed frozen granular and hardpack and fresh manmade from the guns running on every trail except Flying Yankee. Was tough to avoid the snow guns, made for some limited visibility at times. Saw snow guns also going on Headwall and a few other trails near the summit, looks like they are working hard on getting more trails open for the holiday week. Still a lot of bare trails nevertheless, they need some help from Mother Nature.

xwhaler

I skied Ragged today...great deal on Liftopia...$33 ticket which included a $10 lunch voucher. I then used a $10 Liftopia coupon that came with my Warren Miller movie so effectively skied for $13!
Same story as you experienced...they seem quite slow in getting stuff open this yr. Best conditions were under the guns on the Terrain park trail.
I'll be back at some point this yr when everything is open---still want to ski the Ravine.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Keep me posted when you go Chris. I bought a voucher off Boston.com and I'm saving it for a Ravine day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would be surprised if this storm opened it. They typically haven't been all that liberal in dropping the ropes in there until there's a solid 18 inch base. Some of the better stuff off the Spear side requires a bit more than that typically.