• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So, I hit a tree today while skiing at Magic. Here is a video.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad you're ok dude.

Your left ski definitely took a dive just before impact. That probably contributed to loss of control and hitting the tree, but it might have actually helped you a bit. When you catch a ski like that, it tends to throw you over the handle bars in the direction of the ski that doesn't dive. That's probably why you had just a glancing blow on the right side of the tree instead of a direct hit.

Just think, a year ago you wouldn't have been wearing a helmet, had no place to mount a camera, and you might have got your bell rung and wouldn't have a sweet vid of the crash.

You've come a long way. :beer: :lol:

C-Rex

Glad you're ok! Looked like one of those crashes where you don't know what happened until you were already down. Conditions look fantastic in the vid. Wish I had gotten out today. I was planning on heading to Mt. Snow but my alarm didn't go off and I woke up at 9:30. Lame.

I finally got my friend to wear a helmet after he knocked himself out when he smacked his forehead on a thick branch at Sugarbush last year. His forehead looked like he had a softball under the skin. Pretty nasty. We can debate the effectiveness of helmets all day but the fact is that he'd have been much better off if he'd been wearing one.

Mpdsnowman

Nice!!!! I like part where you go.."whoo".."shit" lol.. I think weve all done that once or twice....or in my case all the time lol..

Smellytele

Like someone else said if you were looking where your camera was pointing you would never see anything but the tips of your skis. Point that camera up a little. Hope you are okay.

bdfreetuna

Looked like you were skiing well until that tree came outta nowhere!

Amazed you have gone 30 years without hitting one. I hit trees on the regular. Like most days I ski woods.

But, a direct hit at speed with a double ejection. That's something special =D

mlctvt

Nick- I give you extra points for posting this! I think a lot of other users of this site would never post themselves in less than perfect form. Hope you are fine and "look ahead" as I used to tell my performance driving students .

jrmagic

Would have liked
Nick- I give you extra points for posting this! I think a lot of other users of this site would never post themselves in less than perfect form. Hope you are fine and "look ahead" as I used to tell my performance driving students .

Agreed.
Glad you came out Nick. I wish I would have known you were here. Awesome deep powder day
Maybe I will find Reefer and crew when I go back out in a few....

steamboat1

You are very lucky you weren't hurt. I hit a tree about 10 years ago & wasn't as lucky. It doesn't take much as I was probably skiing slower than you in the vid. If I was going any faster I don't think I'd be posting here right now.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Like someone else said if you were looking where your camera was pointing you would never see anything but the tips of your skis. Point that camera up a little. Hope you are okay.

Yeah I was playing with the camera angle all day. I have a lot of video footage. I should have a lot that is way higher up.

Glenn

Glad you were OK! That was a serious hit. Your left pole went flying.

wa-loaf

Glad you're ok dude.

Your left ski definitely took a dive just before impact. That probably contributed to loss of control and hitting the tree, but it might have actually helped you a bit. When you catch a ski like that, it tends to throw you over the handle bars in the direction of the ski that doesn't dive. That's probably why you had just a glancing blow on the right side of the tree instead of a direct hit.

Just think, a year ago you wouldn't have been wearing a helmet, had no place to mount a camera, and you might have got your bell rung and wouldn't have a sweet vid of the crash.

You've come a long way. :beer: :lol:

:lol: