• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So, I hit a tree today while skiing at Magic. Here is a video.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Scared the shit out of me. Not sure what happened really, I saw the tree, was making turns, and then for some reason I couldn't stop looking at the tree, and you know how they say you travel where you are looking. I just went right into it. The camera is definitely pointed low.

Double ejected, but didn't hurt myself at all, and I think I hit it at a good clip. I glanced of the side and it spun me around and I landed on my back.

Stupid. I was shook up for like 2 runs after that. Amateur hour, apparently. :daffy:

jaywbigred

Damn dude. I am sure you area aware that you should look at the space between the trees, not at the trees, whenever possible.

Maybe some tired legs didn't help? a quarter second slower to respond can mean the difference in situations like these.

Glad you are ok!

BenedictGomez

Wow, just watched the vid, and it wasnt even in glades, just a trail with a few random trees. That's not something you really see. I've never given it a thought, but i imagine liability insurance plays a role in that.

snoseek

Ouch, glad all ended well. Looks like a great day out there though!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah I'll have a full video later. I think my left ski caught in the snow a bit and then I ended up this weird situation where it was, "Do I go left or right" and by the time I made the decision the tree was in the way.

My first time hitting a tree in 30 years of skiing.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Powder day and this is what you choose to report?? Jk. No seriously are you ok? That looked pretty gnarly. I can't say in my years of skiing I've hit a tree yet either. A helmet is still on the top of my list for this year!! Glad you started wearing one.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^ I have tons of video and pics just need to edit it up and post. Tomorrow :)

Trust me: Magic will rock tomorrow. Half the trails were cordoned off to preserve freshies for Friday

jaytrem

Almost seemed like you were looking where the camera was pointed. Glad it didn't hurt you much.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nothing at all. I did a sanity check when I hit the deck ... everything OK?

Maybe this is a new byproduct of being a new parent. more paranoid of trees? :lol:

TropicTundR

Hope you're recovering with no permanent injuries.

1) This is why I ski the glades early in the day (I also stay in better control of my legs and focus on my line by keeping my fists up and in front as much as possible, Anyone else?).

2) Was anyone else behind you?

drjeff

Just think Nick, in about 5yrs when you show that vid to your son, he'll likely be saying "Dad, you're a dork, but that was SO cool!" :lol:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
#1, was about mid-day, about my 8th or 10th run of the day.

#2, no one was behind me, or they were at least a few min. behind. if something happened I probably would have been there for a bit.