• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Carpooling Thread

twinplanx

So...I live on Long Island and that makes getting to "the hill" that much more of a challenge. Apparently there are a few regular posters from the Island(that includes Brooklyn), the city, Northern Jersey and other places along the route. Recently my two most reliable cohorts(my brothers) have married & now have children. I enjoy tree skiing, so solo trips can be a bummer. I may not have the greatest form but I could get down just about anything. I just turned 40 this summer, but I still feel like a "kid"...I don't want to ever stop skiing.

If you'd care to "hook a brother up" post your plans here. But it's not all about me, I'd like to see this thread catch on & expand. My apologies if this post breaks some forum protocol. Last season sucked so bad I can't wait to get out there :beer:

twinplanx

Hmmm...over 190 views, but no replies? I guess nobody wants to carpool with "that creepy internet guy" lol can't say I blame ya... Perhaps some sort of meet & greet is in order? It is easy enough for me to take the LIRR in to the city, if anyone has a favorite watering hole anyone out that way, post it here. Any type of live music always makes the excursion into the city worth it. And I'm always down to meet up on the hill! My sister recently moved to the Northampton Mass. area, and I've been meaning to get my nephew into skiing/boarding. I've heard good thing about Berkshire East, so this will most likely be the area I visit next...

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I be happy to carpool but I live in Orange County NY no were close to you.

twinplanx

Well Scotty, I always enjoy your post and keep in mind that Route 87 does pass through Orange County. I know because I've seen that chopper place ;-) So don't bail so quick lol The most common ski route, in my experience has been 91 North, but the Thruway has options as well...

ScottySkis

Well Scotty, I always enjoy your post and keep in mind that Route 87 does pass through Orange County. I know because I've seen that chopper place ;-) So don't bail so quick lol The most common ski route, in my experience has been 91 North, but the Thruway has options as well...

Great point, I seen the Orange County Chopper guys in the local airport several years ago when I first lived here.

twinplanx

Also feel free to use this thread to satisfy your own needs, I'd like to see it get legs. Pretty cool running into those guys... I hope there drama is blown out of proportion to sell commercials...

ScottySkis

Also feel free to use this thread to satisfy your own needs, I'd like to see it get legs. Pretty cool running into those guys... I hope there drama is blown out of proportion to sell commercials...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I stopped watching the show a several years ago, there definitely big guys. I like the thread and could it be great way to get to the hills efficiently and cheaper.:)

abc

Hmmm...over 190 views, but no replies? I guess nobody wants to carpool with "that creepy internet guy" lol can't say I blame ya...
It's probably got more to do with the holiday period than you being the "creepy internet guy". LOL

Most people are probably with their families or got visitor hanging out right now ...

twinplanx

It's probably got more to do with the holiday period than you being the "creepy internet guy". LOL

Most people are probably with their families or got visitor hanging out right now ...

I know, I should just chill right? I get the same dysfunctional feeling when I'm the last to post to a thread and it just lingers...

twinplanx

I was just poking around on the Bridgeport Port Jefferson Ferry website and saw they have a few package deals to Okemo, Stratton & Mount Snow. For 105$ you walk on the ferry, then get a coach bus to the mountain. One day lift ticket is included and its obviously round trip. Kinda bummed I missed out on Stratton yesterday but it looks like there's a trip every Saturday in January & February. Not the most hardcore of ski hills, but seems like a good deal to me...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Happy to daytrip carpool from Metro Boston to mostly Vermont destinations about once a week and powder days, which are last minute decisions.

Just because I carpool with you doesn't mean I'll ski with you in the morning! :argue::lol::lol::lol:

twinplanx

I just booked my spot on a bus from Long Island to Killington on Sunday. Apparently there was one scheduled for Saturday, but it was canceled due to travel concerns. A total roundtrip cost including lift ticket of 110$ seems like a good deal. I know I would spend more then that in fuel alone...
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

OffPeak

I live in Concord,MA and can do mid week day trips almost any time.

twinplanx

I had planned on taking a bus to Okemo this weekend but I just got a call from the operator stating they had to cancel due to poor ticket sales. I was excited to head to Okemo since I lived in Ludlow for 2 winters. My buddies wife currently works there and my ticket would have been complimentary. The tour operator says they are still heading to Windham, but I'm not feeling it. I know it's not Stowe but if any LI/NYC folks want to do the long haul for a day blast I could probably scrounge up another comp or 2...

timm

Often making day trips on weekends (and powder days when I can swing it) to Mt. Washington Valley from Boston, always happy to split gas.

ScottySkis

I had planned on taking a bus to Okemo this weekend but I just got a call from the operator stating they had to cancel due to poor ticket sales. I was excited to head to Okemo since I lived in Ludlow for 2 winters. My buddies wife currently works there and my ticket would have been complimentary. The tour operator says they are still heading to Windham, but I'm not feeling it. I know it's not Stowe but if any LI/NYC folks want to do the long haul for a day blast I could probably scrounge up another comp or 2...

Sorry about that. I going up to Bush tomorrow, leaving Monroe NY around 1 pm I could maybe help if my car doesn't die on the way up, and I wanted to take the I 87 up to pass Albany then cut over.

Also did you look at other ski bus companies, I know Ovrride is going up this weekend but not sure where. And their is a ski bus that goes from NYC on every weekend stops at Mt. Snow and all major resorts up to Killington, I forget the name, try Google it. And last their are trains from Penn Station but it leaves tomorrow around 11 am.

Just looked Ovr ride ski bus is going to Mountsnow tomorrow according to their facebook page fyi.

Last edited: