• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Campground Profiles

Would you find Campground Profiles (similar to the ski resort profiles) useful?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
This thread prompted this idea. Please vote in the poll. If you answer yes, please provide some feedback in this thread in regards to what information you would like to see. As a start, I could envision:
  • Contact information (address, phone, Email)
  • Number of sites
  • Amenities (Showers, pool, etc.)
  • General description
Finally, any thoughts on limiting this to just "receommended" campgrounds? i.e. ones that we feel AlpineZone members/visitors would enjoy, based on the nature of this site (mostly experienced hikers versus RVers or busy family campground-goers)?

Feedback is welcome! :)

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Perhaps add:
  • nearby trailheads
  • nearby attractions (ocean, lake, LL Bean's :lol: , etc.)

P.S. I'll be happy to help convert the ski profiles script...

SilentCal

I think that it should just be "recommended" campgrounds. I also think that maybe a section for motels could be helpful. Some people who hike don't like to camp but stay at a local motel nearby. Most of the core hikers know where to go but a place to pass on some info like this will make the site more well-rounded.

Greg

Staff member
SilentCal said:
I think that it should just be "recommended" campgrounds. I also think that maybe a section for motels could be helpful. Some people who hike don't like to camp but stay at a local motel nearby. Most of the core hikers know where to go but a place to pass on some info like this will make the site more well-rounded.
I tend to agree. There are a lot of campgrounds in the Northeast. Some are geared more towards RV'ers or family campgrounds (i.e. pools, game rooms, etc.). Let's stick with just covering campgrounds that the typical AlpineZoner (whatever that is ;) ) would like. I think the motel idea would fit better in the Suggested Hiking Resource.

So...let's use this thread to start a campground list. Nominate your favorite campgrounds here and I'll include them. Again, suggest campgrounds that you feel a typical hiking enthusiast would enjoy, rather than one better suited for RV'ers or familes (not that families don't hike, but I think you know what I mean). Just states and campground names will suffice. Perhaps include some local hikes, or specify the area or region if it's not obvious. Maybe we can include a briek AZ Member summary in the future. Thanks all! :)

SilentCal

Well, one of my favorites is White Birches campground in Shelbourne/Gorham NH. It's close to the Presidentals and Carter Range. The Carter-Moriah Trail begins not to far from the campground. Quiet place if you get a site away from the RV ring. Grace and I always stay here when we stay in that section of the Whites.

ChileMass

OK - at the risk of irritating those out there who don't want to hear from the family/RV camping/hiking crowd (you know families camp and hike, too - we just have to bring those pesky kids along. Your own family likely started you off camping, too), in case anyone out there could use the info, here's one recommendation of a family/RV campground that is fun and close to hiking. I can heartily recommend Glen Ellis campgound in Glen NH (right down the street from the Red Parka Pub and around the corner from Santa's Workhop) where we have been camping for years. It is our group's (7 families) favorite summer campground by far, and the access to the WMNF/RMC trail networks is wonderful. I've seen cleaner and larger showers (Sebago Lake State park in ME has the best by a mile), but everything else is grade-A. The staff coouldn't be nicer, the ice cream barn which opens every night at 7PM is terrific, the playing fields and playground and pool are great, there's a game room for rainy days, the 2 rivers are just beautiful, the night sky is incredible, etc etc. I let my kids run around without a care and it makes for a fabulous vacation. I haver rarely heard anyone be loud or out of line. If you're in a family way, it works.

If you want to stay away from small kids and exhaust fumes, there's a rustic, gravel-pit-like campground at the Crawford General Store on 302 that will be sure to punish your body within an inch of survival - who needs to climb a mountain?

Maybe I'll start a website/BB for camping families in the Northeast. That way, I won't have to feel like I have to apologize that I have kids and sleep outdoors in a Coleman pop-up camper (Oh No!!). I've had enough of sleeping on the ground in a tent and getting hailed on in some mudhole halfway to nowhere. If you're 20 years old, perhaps it's still an adventure. For me, there's no more hotdogs and Ramen fkg noodles in the middle of the Adirondacks. We eat well and drink good wine for a week, and it's great. So I have to hike with a little hangover the next day - that's what exercise is for - to get rid of hangovers and make the dip in the Saco River feel that much better afterwards. And my kids have to learn somewhere. We teach them LNT techniques and safety and astronomy (at night), appreciation of nature, etc., so give us a break when you see us.

Any other family campers out there? I think all this rain is making me cranky.......... :x :evil: :angry:

Greg

Staff member
ChileMass said:
Any other family campers out there? I think all this rain is making me cranky.......... :x :evil: :angry:
Wow. You are cranky. Seriously though, the point of not initially including RV type campgrounds was:
  1. A function of time. There are a lot of campgrounds in the Northeast. If I have even a slight hope of rolling this out for this summer, I have to drawn a line in terms of coverage somewhere.
  2. Based on the demographics of this site, I felt many visitors/members are looking for the standard car camping campground, not a large family-oriented recreation area.
Please don't take offense to the "family camping" term, CM. I've started a family of my own and plan to take my one-year old daughter with us on our annual college-buddy camping trip on Labor Day weekend. I guess most campgrounds cater to RVs too so perhaps that's not a fair term either. I don't know. I'm just trying to keep the eventual list manageable, at least initially. Once the system is in place, we'll certainly add more entries.

Thoughts?

ChileMass

That post prompted a quick reply, didn't it?? :)

I can appreciate hardcores wanting a more "pure" outdoor experience. I'm just being a crab today. But - here's a standing offer to anyone from AZ who is hot and tired and worn out this August 13-22 to come to Glen Ellis and I will gladly pour a cold Ketel One on the rocks and throw a couple extra shrimp on the barbie for them........cheers!! :beer:

MtnMagic

I did vote in favor of the c.g. but I only camp in the forest when I do. So I do not know if any c.g. is better or less than the rest.

I will gladly pour a cold Ketel One on the rocks and throw a couple extra shrimp on the barbie for them.

That is a really great offer. Yes please, cheers!