Snowshoeing

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing

Got a pair this year. Went only once so far, but seems pretty fun. Just need more snow down here.

2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Snowshoeing is something I've never tried. I like to hike, and obviously like snow, I'll have to try it sometime. Does anyone who snowshoes use ski poles with powder baskets while snowshoeing ? Seems like they would be an asset, no? You must burn more calories than hiking. It's easier than breaking trail with cross country skis, isn't it?

Yes, easier to break trail. I use poles when I snowshoe, got used to using them hiking. Must try snowshoeing with a full moon.

heck of a workout....if conditions arent good in the mornings we'll snowshoe till things soften up....we also go out with the kids, they love it as well
    updownupdownupdownupdown

I only went once in NH when my wife and I rented some in Jackson. I think from Nestlenook? It was pretty fun.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

They have cheap snowshoes that do the job at ocean state job lot. Had mine 6 years, no problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Snowshoeing is something I've never tried. I like to hike, and obviously like snow, I'll have to try it sometime. Does anyone who snowshoes use ski poles with powder baskets while snowshoeing ? Seems like they would be an asset, no? You must burn more calories than hiking. It's easier than breaking trail with cross country skis, isn't it?
    I didn't use any poles when I went, but it was pretty flat. I can see them being useful on climbs and I don't see why you couldn't use a long pair of ski poles. And yes it is a work out, kind of like walking on a sandy beach.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

My wife and I go in VT when there's snow in the woods. Our neighbors are kind enough to let us hike on their land. We started of with a pair each of the Thunder Bay ones they sell at Job Lot. They honestly weren't that bad. They worked well, and had an OK build quality. This year, my wife got us each a pair of Tubbs for Christmas. She scored a helluva deal at EMS.com. Hers are a woman specific snowshoe that's made out of a flexible plastic and have metal grippers. Mine are a more traditional setup. They both work great. Build quality on the Tubbs are excellent. We're really happy with them. We use ski poles when we go. We often blaze our own trail.

Just got out for a short outing around my property, first outing this year. Definitely can be a good workout, especially when snow gets deep. I usually try for a couple mtn hikes each season with them.

woke up saturday and the mountain was fogged in...got the kids off to training and the wife and i snowshoe'd up the moutain for about 2.5 hours....scoped out some 'not on the map' trees (still in bounds) .... got back and was drenched with sweat..heck of a work out and a great way to see the mountain if the skiing isnt that good or you want a change of pace....quiet and peaceful....
    updownupdownupdownupdown

Thread Information