• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diesel Fans 2013/14 cars

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Do you have a diesel?

When solid fun to drive cars attain that mileage, then yes. Most of the gas cars reaching that mileage are small and underpowered. My TDi is a wagon with a ton of room, a six speed, and a very nice interior (don't confuse the JSW with the dumb-ed down sedan). I'm not beating anyone in a drag race, but there is more than enough power for getting up to highway speed and passing. Only thing I miss somewhat is the AWD.

The missing AWD was the only reason I did not buy one of these. My Outback does the job though, getting 31mpg on the highway!

wa-loaf

The missing AWD was the only reason I did not buy one of these. My Outback does the job though, getting 31mpg on the highway!

My girlfriend has an 2012 Outback also with a 6 speed so we have that if we really need AWD ... but my car is definitely more fun to drive than hers.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
My girlfriend has an 2012 Outback also with a 6 speed so we have that if we really need AWD ... but my car is definitely more fun to drive than hers.

I use the Outback for work and skiing when more room is needed. If I want fun stuff to drive, I can choose from the following: Wifes 2012 Acura TL-SHAWD, Sons 2011 WRX and my favorite for warm weather, my 99 Vette. Actually out of the 3, the WRX gets the worst gas mileage...go figure!

twinplanx

"Nobody".... I was talking about long haul truckers. An indy trucker delivering or picking up on Long Island isn't likely to buy fuel there due to the cost. Anybody with a local truck fleet on Long Island is going to have their own DEF pump.

ok, you are correct. Most OTR truckers with any sense fuel up in Jersey. Admittedly, my experience has been with a local truck fleet consisting of a hand pump for DEF... My concern is for Joe Average who just bought that brand new Super Duty Pick-up. Where does he get DEF? I would also bet the need for DEF will rule out any future conversion to Bio-diesel...

Geoff

Do you have a diesel?

No, but I have a lot of friends with diesel pickups. As you can imagine, the first time "add DEF" idiot light goes on, it becomes bar conversation for the next week. I filled two 5 gallon gas cans with DEF at a Connecticut Turnpike TA truck stop for a friend last summer. I was driving right by it on a business trip and he needed to refill. That's how I got clued in to the whole truck stop pump thing and the sub-$3.00 pump price.

I burn about 2 gallons of diesel per summer in the boat. That's it for me.

Geoff

As a GTI driver, I also think the option package on the Jetta diesel wagon is a deal killer. No xenon headlights. I'd like a TDi 4Motion GTI Sportwagen like you can get in Europe with all the bells & whistles. I imagine they limit the feature list on the Jetta wagon so it doesn't compete with Audi.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Doesn't the gas to diesel become a wash when a gas engine gets 38-40 mpg though?
There are no gas engines averaging that much. There are some compacts and small family cars getting that much on the highway but city mileage is much lower. My VW has averaged 40 MPG exactly over 20,000 miles. The gasers getting 40 MPG highway are still only averaging very low 30s. In the long term over a lifetime of miles, the diesel still comes out ahead. Hybrids are starting to be a better buy if you strictly value MPG and total cost of ownership and don't care about performance.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
"have it checked when you service the vehicle" ??? Do you realize you have to add a few quarts of this magic elixir with every fill up? The consumption of DEF will vary but in my experience those who do more highway miles use more. Maybe I misunderstand your comment but it seems like you think this is like an oil change. Let me assure you that is not the case. I will agree to your final two points though. Again I will have to call shenanigans on special interest groups in those situations as well...
Alright, maybe I was making a bad assumption here, but it seems like everyone else is making that assumption as well. What current year consumer diesel models require this at every fuel up? If this is the case, those diesel models are not good options. But I am not familiar with any current model consumer diesel cars that this is the case for.

twinplanx

Alright, maybe I was making a bad assumption here, but it seems like everyone else is making that assumption as well. What current year consumer diesel models require this at every fuel up? If this is the case, those diesel models are not good options. But I am not familiar with any current model consumer diesel cars that this is the case for.

That's a good question. One I can't answer as I only deal with the truck end of this. Even the little 4/6 cylinder Isuzu's require a few quarts every couple of hundred miles... Also why are all hybrids gas? Wouldn't a diesel hybrid be much more efficient?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That's a good question. One I can't answer as I only deal with the truck end of this. Even the little 4/6 cylinder Isuzu's require a few quarts every couple of hundred miles... Also why are all hybrids gas? Wouldn't a diesel hybrid be much more efficient?
I think there is an issue with how the engines work. A cycle issue or something like that? I can't remember. And the cost doesn't justify the minimal increase in performance either. You won't be seeing diesel hybrids ever, I don't think.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You are obviously not driving in near Boston like I am .... still happy with 37.5 average for my drive in the commute ..
No but my commute seriously destroys my MPG, especially in the winter. My commute is only 7 minutes one way. In the winter, my engine doesn't even get halfway to fully warmed up before I turn it off. In the winter, my work commute probably nets me about 30mpg each way at best, sometimes worse.

While it would use more fuel, I would have much better MPG with a longer commute. Also, quite a bit colder up here which again hits the MPG and I run snows for about six months as well. I suspect someone living in rural MA or even further south with a flatish and long commute without traffic could easily run 45+ average MPG without trying and maybe even 50 with a stick and exacting driving habits. My best tank was 46.something.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sitting in traffic definitely kills the mileage on my 3 big time. Thankfully that only accounts for about 5 miles of my 100 mile round trip daily commute. With snows on, I'm averaging about 34; with the summer tires it was 35.5. I don't see much of a drop off driving fast on the highway. I average 75-80 mph for about 75 miles of that commute.

wa-loaf

No but my commute seriously destroys my MPG, especially in the winter. My commute is only 7 minutes one way. In the winter, my engine doesn't even get halfway to fully warmed up before I turn it off. In the winter, my work commute probably nets me about 30mpg each way at best, sometimes worse.

While it would use more fuel, I would have much better MPG with a longer commute. Also, quite a bit colder up here which again hits the MPG and I run snows for about six months as well. I suspect someone living in rural MA or even further south with a flatish and long commute without traffic could easily run 45+ average MPG without trying and maybe even 50 with a stick and exacting driving habits. My best tank was 46.something.

Have you thought about a frost heater? http://www.frostheater.com Warms the coolant up to temp in the morning before you head out. You'd prob get better mileage that way and you would have heat right off the bat.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Have you thought about a frost heater? http://www.frostheater.com Warms the coolant up to temp in the morning before you head out. You'd prob get better mileage that way and you would have heat right off the bat.
Very interesting. Not sure if it is worth $140 plus labor to install it. But goodness knows I've accidentally tried to turn on the heat before the engine is warmed up far too many times only to look down at my engine temp 15 minutes later and see it is still barely halfway there! :roll:

I'll have to poke around and see what other folks are saying about that product. The web site is pretty sketchy as far as a business goes...

wa-loaf