• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Diesel Fans 2013/14 cars

Hawkshot99

I think there is an issue with how the engines work. A cycle issue or something like that? I can't remember. And the cost doesn't justify the minimal increase in performance either. You won't be seeing diesel hybrids ever, I don't think.

The current winner of the 24 hours of lemans is the Audi Diesel Hybrid. It was brought in this year and did far better than the Audi Diesel which has been dominating for years.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

wa-loaf

That's a good question. One I can't answer as I only deal with the truck end of this. Even the little 4/6 cylinder Isuzu's require a few quarts every couple of hundred miles... Also why are all hybrids gas? Wouldn't a diesel hybrid be much more efficient?

I think there is an issue with how the engines work. A cycle issue or something like that? I can't remember. And the cost doesn't justify the minimal increase in performance either. You won't be seeing diesel hybrids ever, I don't think.

I think it's just a cost thing right now. Diesel engines supposedly cost more (especially with all the fancy emissions stuff) and then add the extra cost for a Hybrid system and batteries and you price the car out too high for most people.

mlctvt

I was just on the Mazda UK website this morning. Lusting over their choice of Diesel engines with 6 speed manual transmissions in the CX-5 and Mazda6 Wagon. They have both a 150hp and 175hp diesels with 6 speed manuals. The CX5 is available with AWD, and the 6sp manual with your choice of Diesel engine.

Really sad we can't get these choices here.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Probably costs $50K. I'd love to be proven wrong but you have to pay the extra for both the diesel AND the hybrid tech and the performance will be only slightly better than an equivalent gas hybrid. I just don't see these things happening.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I saw that. It has been talked about for a while and the numbers I saw are totally BORING. For this car segment and the price, this thing should be out performing the VW TDI. Similar numbers across the board, a little faster off the line, big whoop de doo. A base Jetta diesel is cheaper with similar spec. What is the point? Besides, TDI SportWagens outsell sedans dramatically. Might as well buy a hybrid, there is nothing special about this diesel offering and it is priced too high. $2600 more than a base VW TDI, what are they thinking!?! If you just want a sedan with good performance and good MPG, the Jetta Hybrid currently makes the most sense. Jetta TDI is significantly cheaper. What is the point? Hopefully this pending failure will not set back the case for diesels...

Glenn

An AWD diesel wagon. Now that's cool. They only list the HP figures on Jalopnik; they left out the best part: Torque- 236 lb-ft Autoblog managed to get over 50mpg in their FWD Jetta TDI. Mid 40's realworld would be really respectable for an AWD with some cargo room.

amf

I recently purchased a JSW TDI, and was a bit hesitant having had AWD for some time. While the ground clearance is a but low, it handled snowy Vermont roads quite well this past winter. I only really slipped when pulling into my driveway! Getting 50+ mpg on the highway at 75 mpg is a big plus, as is cruising up some of the hills without having to downshift. And AWD JSW would be awesome!

wa-loaf

I recently purchased a JSW TDI, and was a bit hesitant having had AWD for some time. While the ground clearance is a but low, it handled snowy Vermont roads quite well this past winter. I only really slipped when pulling into my driveway! Getting 50+ mpg on the highway at 75 mpg is a big plus, as is cruising up some of the hills without having to downshift. And AWD JSW would be awesome!

50 mpg seems kind of a stretch. I've had my TDI for a year and a half. I get mid 40's highway in the summer; with winter fuel, cold and snow tires it's tough to eek out 40mpg. I like that the new one has vents that close when it's cold out as it takes a while for the diesel engine to warm up and fuel economy sucks until the engine it up to temp. I might pick up a grill block for next winter: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3930&osCsid=4h4520m3ur39m84p0livqpsio5

Savemeasammy

Our tdi wagon gets really awesome from, say, cannon to Plymouth... :p More typical drives are maybe 40ish mpg. We seem to get the best mileage when we are doing drives in the 50-60 mph range. Highway driving seems to get us into the mid/upper 30's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

We seem to get the best mileage when we are doing drives in the 50-60 mph range.

If I'm doing this mileage will jump into the 50s!

Didn't realize there were so many tdi drivers here. We should start a sub-forum ...

Glenn

How' the reliability been with the TDi's? I took a break from German cars after our 2002 A6 3.0q. Great car, it just was just over engineered and required a lot of work.

wa-loaf

How' the reliability been with the TDi's? I took a break from German cars after our 2002 A6 3.0q. Great car, it just was just over engineered and required a lot of work.

I've had no issues in 30k. Do not ever put gas in it. These are not like old diesels where you just drain the fuel and start over. Gas will blow up the fuel pump which then shreds the turbo and sends metal fragments through the whole fuel system. That will cost you $6-8k to fix ... VW has been covering the cost for this where there is no obvious misfueling on the owners part. The new system in the 2015 is not supposed to run as high pressure as the current ones so should not be as catastrophic.

I know 4-5 TDi owners and none of them have had this issue so I think it's pretty rare. I do have a friend who had an A4 TDi and put gas in it ... insurance covered it, but she traded it in for a gas version because she didn't trust herself not to do it again.